Player Discussion Michael Frolik

Asimplehockeyfan

Sep 6, 2018
Just wondering what the flames community thinks of him for the future? He is a UFA in 2 years with a M-NTC and with calgary coming up to a cap crunch ( Tkacuck needing a contract and a few other prospects or a goalie in FA) is he gone at the trade deadline or the draft? Depends on where the flames are at the TDL too.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I don't see a rush to move him this year if the Flames are successful. Why ruin the chemistry and the depth? However, the prospects may be ready to move in to the third line and then he may be a trade-able asset with enough value for a decent pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just wondering what the flames community thinks of him for the future? He is a UFA in 2 years with a M-NTC and with calgary coming up to a cap crunch ( Tkacuck needing a contract and a few other prospects or a goalie in FA) is he gone at the trade deadline or the draft? Depends on where the flames are at the TDL too.
Honestly, it is too early to tell because there are too many variables. Is it possible, or even likely that he is moved at the draft? Sure, of course. But that depends on so many factors. Tkachuk's extension and acquiring a starting goaltender are certainly two of those factors. Sam Bennett breaking out is also a significant factor, because if Bennett does break out, not only will Frolik's contract be a barrier, but Bennett could "replace" him on the ice. A breakout by Jankowski would also allow a Frolik move to be easier.

To a lesser extent, the same goes for Spencer Foo, Mangiapane and Klimchuk. It also depends on Frolik himself and of course, how Frolik himself does this season will play a significant factor. The final factor will be the salary cap and how much it rises.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the Flames succeed over the next two years with him on board, it's hardly a player that you absolutely can't let go for nothing. You take that success and treat his loss as the cost for that success. If thinks go into the toilet again, he's a good guy to trade and get something back for.

Asimplehockeyfan

Sep 6, 2018
Honestly, it is too early to tell because there are too many variables. Is it possible, or even likely that he is moved at the draft? Sure, of course. But that depends on so many factors. Tkachuk's extension and acquiring a starting goaltender are certainly two of those factors. Sam Bennett breaking out is also a significant factor, because if Bennett does break out, not only will Frolik's contract be a barrier, but Bennett could "replace" him on the ice. A breakout by Jankowski would also allow a Frolik move to be easier.

To a lesser extent, the same goes for Spencer Foo, Mangiapane and Klimchuk. It also depends on Frolik himself and of course, how Frolik himself does this season will play a significant factor. The final factor will be the salary cap and how much it rises.
I agree with you but I see him in the same spot as stone. Vet who can move yo and down the line up as need be but is he worth the 4.30 a year?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would love to move him but I don't think they will because a. none of the young guys have stepped to be able to take on his role and b. with his contract I cant see anyone giving up much for him this year.

He really declined last year so hopefully that turns out to be just a down year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would love to move him but I don't think they will because a. none of the young guys have stepped to be able to take on his role and b. with his contract I cant see anyone giving up much for him this year.

He really declined last year so hopefully that turns out to be just a down year.

It's very plausible that it was a down year given the injury.

Reactions: Cyrano

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Difficult to say. Too many factors come into play.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If frolik recovered from last year, he is a valuable and tradable asset

Now he can also be another Brouwer then ....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If frolik recovered from last year, he is a valuable and tradable asset

Now he can also be another Brouwer then ....

Frolik alone to be a shutdown player and PKer makes him significantly more valuable than Brouwer. Frolik, Backlund and Chucky had horrible PDO last year, if it just moves towards the norm all three will improve production.

I like Frolik a lot, to me, he’s the best FA Calgary’s signed in a long while. He’s going to be an asset on the third line. He’ll bring drive and leadership to an otherwise dull bottom 6 in previous years.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This is the cap era. Frolik will be gone at the deadline or draft if one of the kids shows they are ready to take his spot. Its just the nature of the business.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think he will be moved in the off-season to accommodate Tkachuk's extension. But there's no reason to move him now. We aren't going to do anything with the cap space this season, so his salary doesn't matter

Even if he doesn't produce many points on the third line, with his two way game and ability to play either side he will be a valuable bottom 6 presence. I imagine he will also be a huge part of our penalty kill.

Plus he can slide into the top 6 if there are injuries. We finally have depth. Let's keep it for at least one year

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We finally have the depth to move Frolik down to the bottom 6. I think that's a damn good thing.

He will not be moved until one of Foo/Manigapane/Klimchuk force Frolik to be moved. And you best believe any contending team would want to have Frolik in their bottom 6 too. He would not be hard to move at all.

I'd say wait it out a year, see how the injuries play out and if one of the aforementioned prospects actually take Frolik's spot. A lot can depend on Czarnik too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dube seems like a natural Frolik replacement. But there's a ways to go. Frolik is an unquestionable NHL'er. Having him on the 3rd line this season will be absurd. This guy has been Calgary's best overall RW for a number of years now.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think we hang onto him for this year unless multiple rookies knock our socks off or another team is willing to overpay. After having not enough depth last year, I don't see management risking depth for now.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Top fitness. Guys you want around a young core. Not sure if you guys realize, but if Andersson makes the team, a young team will have gotten even younger from last season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Top fitness. Guys you want around a young core. Not sure if you guys realize, but if Andersson makes the team, a young team will have gotten even younger from last season.
Will it? We've also added Ryan & Neal and everyone is a year older.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Will it? We've also added Ryan & Neal and everyone is a year older.

Minus Jagr, Versteeg, Brouwer, Stajan, Hamilton and Ferland.

Plus Lindholm, Hanifin, Andersson, Neal, Ryan and Czarnik.

We’re a younger team than last year. Adding potentially 3 guys under 23 will do that (two 21).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I forgot about Jagr. Just subtracting him will make us 5 years younger. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, I forgot about Jagr. Just subtracting him will make us 5 years younger. :laugh:

I'm sure if you go with 'most common' lineups, the ages are probably really, really close (like somewhere in the 25's, which would make them one of the 5 youngest teams in the NHL.

Still, pretty crazy. The age moves up the lineup, which is best. Last year we found a lot of age in bottom of the lineup (Stajan and Brouwer), and now we find it towards the top of the lineup Ryan (3C) and Neal (1/2RW).

Calgary was sneaky young last year, this team didn't get that youth credit at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure if you go with 'most common' lineups, the ages are probably really, really close (like somewhere in the 25's, which would make them one of the 5 youngest teams in the NHL.

Still, pretty crazy. The age moves up the lineup, which is best. Last year we found a lot of age in bottom of the lineup (Stajan and Brouwer), and now we find it towards the top of the lineup Ryan (3C) and Neal (1/2RW).

Calgary was sneaky young last year, this team didn't get that youth credit at all.
I really dislike how average ages are calculated because not all roles are created equally, they and rosters are always changing.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
To answer the OP, in my mind Frolik is still and will continue to be a valuable asset. I do see him as a trade candidate though, perhaps as early as this year. Why? The Flames will need cap room next year and have some younger talent that may have outgrown the nest in Stockton (Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo). I'm sure Tre will also want to recoup some draft picks too. I feel that Michael Stone is also in the same boat, although his value won't be as great as Frolik's.

But, in a perfect world, Frolik will hoist the cup in Calgary before leaving!:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad