Confirmed with Link: Michael Ferland unofficially retired?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Can someone explain how LTIR works with someone who is essentially retired? Is there some finality to it ?

A player on LTIR has to come in for a medical examination every season, then gets put on LTIR for the rest of the year if deemed to be that unfit to play. If they retire, they don't get the rest of their contract. If they stay 'active', they get paid by the club and the club puts in an insurance claim to recoup.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Poor guy, he was a gamer and a soldier. Ferland would sacrifice everything he had on the ice. Unfortunately concussions got the better of him. When he came back early and got into a fight right away, "With I forget who.. Clifford!?", was ballsy but incredibly stupid. I wish him the best in the future of his retirement, he was a beauty that had his career cut short way too early in his hockey career. You need Ferland's on every team.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
A player on LTIR has to come in for a medical examination every season, then gets put on LTIR for the rest of the year if deemed to be that unfit to play. If they retire, they don't get the rest of their contract. If they stay 'active', they get paid by the club and the club puts in an insurance claim to recoup.

Thanks. So this just keeps happening? Theres no rule about LTIR'ing until the end of the contract per say (lets say theres three years left on the contract before going on LTIR - they can only claim LTIR for three years and then the contract expires)?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That Albert story was sad to read, got taken out on a. reckless play by a goon, the other dude didn't even bother contacting Alberts ever after that to at least try to apologize. Pathetic

That was such a suspendable play, too. Yet nothing happened. Shame.

Wishing Ferland the best in health in his post playing career. I’m encouraged that he was able to get out and enjoy a holiday. Hope he’s able to get the most out of this new chapter for him.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Pretty sure the Canucks could not get Ferland's contract insured.

Someone linked the article and I've heard Drance talk about this on his podcast too.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Total respect for Ferland. The guy is a true warrior.
Hope his health stabilizes and he can can age well with those that love him.

He was damaged good when Dim signed him...

Reactions: DFAC

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Thanks. So this just keeps happening? Theres no rule about LTIR'ing until the end of the contract per say (lets say theres three years left on the contract before going on LTIR - they can only claim LTIR for three years and then the contract expires)?

Unless someone signs him to a new contract, which isn't happening. He has to come in for a yearly physical to prove he can't play in the upcoming season. If he retires, he loses his paycheque. You can see why players prefer long term deals and take discounts up front, signing a one year contract is risky. They could have a career ender and have no compensation unless he is otherwise insured.

I'm not a cap magician, but apparently we don't get LTIR relief until we spend to the cap, then we can go over by the amount of his contract. That's why Tampa acquires LTIR'ed players and why Toronto did a season ago, to make the replacement player cap hit work.

Like if cap is $80.5m, we're at $80.1m, we can go over by Ferland's $3.5M minus the $400k difference between cap max and our real cap hit. So our new virtual cap would be $83.6m. That's why teams try to make the trades put them as close to the cap as possible.

Also yeah, by all reports Ferland's contract isn't insured so ownership is on the hook. Most contracts are though.

Last edited:

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Unless someone signs him to a new contract, which isn't happening. He has to come in for a yearly physical to prove he can't play in the upcoming season. If he retires, he loses his paycheque. You can see why players prefer long term deals and take discounts up front, signing a one year contract is risky. They could have a career ender and have no compensation unless he is otherwise insured.

Also yeah, by all reports Ferland's contract isn't insured so ownership is on the hook. Most contracts are though.

Genius move to sign a player with a huge history of recent concussion issues... and then not insure the contract.

Wow, my local 7-11 is managed more professionally than my favourite hockey team.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Genius move to sign a player with a huge history of recent concussion issues... and then not insure the contract.

Wow, my local 7-11 is managed more professionally than my favourite hockey team.

I think it’s precisely because of his injury history that his contract couldn’t be insured.

Reactions: geebaan

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

They couldn't get insurance and also, who cares? It doesn't affect our cap that it isn't insured, it just comes out of FA's pocket. Not our concern if he loses a few million. That's a bad month of trading on the stock market for guys like that.

Reactions: JAK and F A N

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
We definitely signed him at the wrong time in his career, but damn is he the EXACT 3rd line LW we need. Imagine a healthy Ferland with Podkolzin.

Hope Micheal can take care of himself and live a good post-playing life

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I had hoped that Ferland could come back. There were reports of him intending to come back but looking at his IG photos it looked like he has gained some weight. Now we finally know that he's unlikely to come back. It must have been tough for him to call it a career being so young. Even after his current contract expires he'll only be 31.

We definitely signed him at the wrong time in his career, but damn is he the EXACT 3rd line LW we need. Imagine a healthy Ferland with Podkolzin.

Hope Micheal can take care of himself and live a good post-playing life

Yep. That was the reason for signing him. He could have been a pretty effective middle 6 player who could play both wings. A talented player when healthy for sure.

They couldn't get insurance and also, who cares? It doesn't affect our cap that it isn't insured, it just comes out of FA's pocket. Not our concern if he loses a few million. That's a bad month of trading on the stock market for guys like that.

Yep. It's not like we're Columbus. This whole "insurance" issue isn't an issue at all. I highly doubt that Aquilini didn't know ahead of time. The Canucks' medical staff had checked him out. Say what you will about Aquilini, he's been willing to spend if he thinks it would make the team better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since Ferland is on LTIR and likely to remain there until his contract is up, or until he retires, does his contract have any value around the league for cap relief?

I note that the Hawks traded Brent Seakbrook to the Lightning for a nice package that included Tyler Johnson and a second rounder. Of course Seabrook is also on LTIR and likely done as a player--but the Bolts can get some cap relief by also stashing his contract on LTIR.

Of course that would require Jimbo to get creative, but if he could recoup a draft pick or two by dealing Ferland, then it would be worth it--right?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Since Ferland is on LTIR and likely to remain there until his contract is up, or until he retires, does his contract have any value around the league for cap relief?

I note that the Hawks traded Brent Seakbrook to the Lightning for a nice package that included Tyler Johnson and a second rounder. Of course Seabrook is also on LTIR and likely done as a player--but the Bolts can get some cap relief by also stashing his contract on LTIR.

Of course that would require Jimbo to get creative, but if he could recoup a draft pick or two by dealing Ferland, then it would be worth it--right?

Ferland is owed $3.5m over 2 more seasons, $7m total, and it is not insured so whoever picks him up has to pay the bill, not insurance. That makes him worthless for a team trying to stay above the cap floor on the cheap. The way to get maximum relief is to spend to the cap first, so a team would have to be at $81.5M to get the full $3.5m of relief. We won't be getting anything of value back here, in fact, we would likely be adding high draft picks for another team to pay his $7m paycheque out of pocket. His AAV is too low to add a star player, his contract isn't insured and it has an extra season on it.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Ferland is owed $3.5m over 2 more seasons, $7m total, and it is not insured so whoever picks him up has to pay the bill, not insurance. That makes him worthless for a team trying to stay above the cap floor on the cheap. The way to get maximum relief is to spend to the cap first, so a team would have to be at $81.5M to get the full $3.5m of relief. We won't be getting anything of value back here, in fact, we would likely be adding high draft picks for another team to pay his $7m paycheque out of pocket. His AAV is too low to add a star player, his contract isn't insured and it has an extra season on it.

How is JB still employed.....? In any other business, this kind of management would be sent packing for wasting 7 mil on such a gamble during a rebuild / non playoff time frame.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it a fact that Ferland's long term injury isn't covered by any type of insurance? I find that difficult to believe.

You mean if OEL ended up on LTIR with a career-threatening injury that the Canucks would be stuck with paying his $7.24 million salary for the next six years? I thought all injuries that landed a player on LTIR for an extended period or threatened his career, were insured.

If Ferland is an outlier for whatever reason, it can't make the owner very happy.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don't understand how there isn't an outright retirement, contract off the books, if a player starts a new job and it's clear will not play in the league anymore.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Is it a fact that Ferland's long term injury isn't covered by any type of insurance? I find that difficult to believe.

You mean if OEL ended up on LTIR with a career-threatening injury that the Canucks would be stuck with paying his $7.24 million salary for the next six years? I thought all injuries that landed a player on LTIR for an extended period or threatened his career, were insured.

If Ferland is an outlier for whatever reason, it can't make the owner very happy.
The owner knew when we signed the contract. Insurers wouldn't take on the risk due to his injury history, but FA greenlit it anyway.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don't understand how there isn't an outright retirement, contract off the books, if a player starts a new job and it's clear will not play in the league anymore.

See: Pronger

Jokes on Aquilini. Signing a guy that everyone knew was damaged goods was just an utterly disaster move. Not insuring the contract as well?....LOL f***.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Aquaman literally paid Ferlund FOURTEEN million dollars for FOURTEEN games played.
Hahahahaa that’s insane. Can’t feel good.

then again, he paid Loui Erikson THIRTY SIX million dollars for THIRTY EIGHT goals lol.

oh yah and NINE million for Luongo to work on a tan in a different country.

seems like a smart guy.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Reasonably speaking that cap hit should come off the books but Ferland still gets paid. But that opens up opportunities for cap circumvention. I would think that most players would agree to add years to their contract and still get paid for it with the understanding that the player will retire at around a certain age or if there's a severe decline in performance.

The owner knew when we signed the contract. Insurers wouldn't take on the risk due to his injury history, but FA greenlit it anyway.

Yep. At the time of signing Benning said that the team's doctors reviewed Ferland's medical records (I don't remember if they examined him). So Aquilini was definitely aware.

It's really unfortunate that Ferland's career ended this way. Hope he enjoys life after retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad