Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
If I didn't have to leave in 5 minutes, I'd look harder.

If we can't land a Cam Dineen or Josh Mahura type (first two examples that popped into my mind), I don't think I'd pull the trigger. David Farrance might not be a bad idea, but there's no way we'd trade for someone we could've drafted instead of DiPietro. I would trade him for a 2nd as well.

Guys like that have more upside than McKeown in my eyes and we need to target higher-upside assets.

Good options. I'm just not sure those teams would trade dmen, but ya, by l means I don't think it would be bad asset mgmt to move DiPietro with his value high for such players.

2nd rounder would be great too.. a low one, no brainer, a higher one if there's a sexy pick on the board at the time

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For the last 4 seasons we've targeted guys who could step in sooner: Pedan, Etem, Vey, Pouliot, Baertschi, Granlund, and the upside has been incredibly limited as almost all of these guys were known entities in their D+4 or later seasons.

If we had just stayed the course over the last 4 and drafted a bunch of 18 year olds with all those picks we shipped out we'd be seeing them impacting our NHL roster NOW.

The more we keep saying trash like "we're in need now, let's trade for lower upside assets" the longer we're going to running on the treadmill of mediocrity.

And just think of all those draft picks they coughed up to acquire 'foundational' players like Sutter and Gudbranson?...and then overpaid them.

Reactions: MarkMM

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Yup, exactly that sort of trade if you could swing it.

Really? A dman who has spent the last two years in the AHL and hasn’t seemed to have progressed much (admittedly haven’t watched him) from his stats?
We have guys similar enough in Chatfield and a Breisbois that have had decent starts to their pro careers.

Having a goalie prospect pipeline more than one deep is more important in my mind than another b-level d-man prospect. If we were to get a top end prospect out of it I would agree but that simply won’t happen.

This may not be peak value for di Pietro, if he in a couple of years he has a good start to his AHL career and looks legit, and Demko has panned out, then yeah, try trade him for a top level d prospect or whatever is needed at the time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yes, feel safe in saying you'll never see the likes of a prospect pool like this again. MVP's in both the SHL and Allvenskan; Hobey Baker winner; rookie of the year in Finnish pro league; Goalie of the year in the OHL; an all-star selection in the KHL; and a finalist for the Calder at the NHL level. And while Demko didn't win any individual awards, he basically carried the Comets on his back.

Given the sorry history of the Canucks prospect pool over the years, it's kind of mind-boggling really.

and bo at the worlds

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to love prospects like Palmu, Jasek and DiPietro. The more people diss and doubt them, the more determined they are to prove everybody wrong and actually make it. Not saying it will happen with all of them or maybe not any of them...but you have to love the attitude.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
You have to love prospects like Palmu, Jasek and DiPietro. The more people diss and doubt them, the more determined they are to prove everybody wrong and actually make it. Not saying it will happen with all of them or maybe not any of them...but you have to love the attitude.
Brassard too! :yo:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Hmm... I can see that with Palmu and DiPietro, but Jasek? Jasek doesn't seem to me the determined to prove everyone wrong type of player.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And yeah, his size will be an issue. Out of 31 starters in the NHL last year, the only one under 6'1 was Halak who is a very fringe starter. Quick is the 2nd smallest at 6'1. Dipietro is an inch smaller than that and is going to have to be a bit of a unicorn to excel at this level at that size.

That is factually wrong. Antii Raanta is under 6'1" and he is a bonafide starter. Saros looks like he may be a starter one day.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
You dont trade everyone who is tracking well. You hope they continue to track well and become successful NHL players.

Forsling vs Clendenning

Reactions: clay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->