Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
5-3 win for Canada. Not a great outing for Dipietro, the third goal especially was kind of shaky with Mikey getting himself sliding out of position. Nothing that would eliminate him from the competition for the starting role, but lets hope for better performances from him than this upcoming.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
He has a bit of a speech impediment. I grew up with a speech impediment, so I have nothing but sympathy for him. Good luck, buddy.

Off topic, but you might find this interesting. Paul Stamet's cure for stuttering? Psilocybin mushrooms.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I know this is not a popular take. But at the end of the day he was not good enough when it counted. He reminds me of Loungo with the way he plays and his mind set . He seems a little to emotional to be a big time goalie. need a stone cold mentality. this is my opinion

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I know this is not a popular take. But at the end of the day he was not good enough when it counted. He reminds me of Loungo with the way he plays and his mind set . He seems a little to emotional to be a big time goalie. need a stone cold mentality. this is my opinion

How can one even remotely blame Dipietro last night? He wasn't emotional or all over the place. He made superb save after superb save with fantastic positioning and was calm doing it. The team in front of him played a poor game. He didn't play a poor game. He gave them every chance to win. Every chance.

If you are going to blame a goaltender for letting in a goal from the bottom of the circle on a play where the angles are constantly changing you aren't ever going to find a goaltender you are happy with. That doesn't mean he's destined for a NHL career but nothing about that game in particular indicates what you put in your post.

Reactions: Szechwan and F A N

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
He lost the game. He played great and made big time saves. But when the chips were down and he needed to make a save to keep them in the game. he did not. Who does that remind you off ... Louongo was just that way. played great big time saves left it all on the ice. But when it was the time to do it or don"t they both did not.

Reactions: Drop the Sopel

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
He did play well no doubt. But once again society is trying to put the team performance in the grey . There is no grey area in sports you win or you lose. Black and White. and at the end of the day he let in two goals and the Finnish goalie let in one. That is a fact.

TheFang

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver

Wait, DiPietro reminding you of sure-fire Hall of Famer and all-time Canuck Roberto Luongo.... is a bad thing?

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Not to mention if he makes the NHL he will spend a lot of time standing right at the scene of the crime. He will be in the crease and in that arena for what 10 years plus if he makes it. that is a very rare case, that no one is talking about. I can not think of another goalie who has played in this tournament a lost in heart breaking fashion has to carry on with his pro career in that exact same building and the exact same crease

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He did play well no doubt. But once again society is trying to put the team performance in the grey . There is no grey area in sports you win or you lose. Black and White. and at the end of the day he let in two goals and the Finnish goalie let in one. That is a fact.

Your takes on him are garbages
That is a fact too

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Wait, DiPietro reminding you of sure-fire Hall of Famer and all-time Canuck Roberto Luongo.... is a bad thing?

Hall of Famer you have to be kidding. usually for a goalie you need a few Stanley Cups and a couple of Vezina"s to get in there lets see how many Bobby Lu has ?????

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Last time I checked hockey was a team sport.

TheFang

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver
Yes, since he clearly meant that his negatives remind him of luongos negatives

What negatives are those? I mean, Luongo has had bad games (as every goalie does), but as a career, he's what, a top 10, 15 all time goalie?

If DiPietro shares Luongo's negatives, they must not be all that negative.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Your takes on him are garbages
That is a fact too

That is just you wearing your Canuck glasses. Look do not get me wrong. I hope he becomes the best goalie in Canucks history and wins the stanley cup. All I am saying is he did not get the job done last night and that includes the coaches and his teammates and he has traits and and not the good ones that Roberto Loungo has

But maybe I will be wrong .

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
That is just you wearing your Canuck glasses. Look do not get me wrong. I hope he becomes the best goalie in Canucks history and wins the stanley cup. All I am saying is he did not get the job done last night and that includes the coaches and his teammates and he has traits and and not the good ones that Roberto Loungo has

But maybe I will be wrong .
That’s just you pointing finger at him for:

His team only scored one goal and allowed almost 40 SOG in regulation, tons of odd man rushes.

A goal deflected off a player’s leg with the player not even looking at the net.

A goal deflected off his own teammate’s stick.

Have you not realized how ridiculous you sound now

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I understand having your doubts on DiPietro due to size or the unpredictability of goaltenders.
But to have doubts on him for not saving a shot that was deflected in after putting on a clinic is a bit absurd.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What negatives are those? I mean, Luongo has had bad games (as every goalie does), but as a career, he's what, a top 10, 15 all time goalie?

If DiPietro shares Luongo's negatives, they must not be all that negative.

I mean, he made it pretty clear. He considers luongos mental toughness a problem and saw the same problem with DiPietro. Whether you agree or not, he compared no other facet of his game to luongos.

TheFang

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver
Do people really think that Luongo is not a sure-fire Hall of Famer?

There's literally 1 goalie in history who has played in 20 or more seasons and has a SV% better than Luongo's. Ironically, considering Luongo's reputation, his consistency year in and year out makes him special and definitely the greatest goalie to have ever played for the Canucks.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
DiPietro was quite literally the very last player I would blame for last nights loss... Pumped to see him getting love in this thread. To me he had razor sharp focus and decision making all night. With the power of hindsight, after the loss, you might be able to suggest the GTG rattled him a bit... but it rattled everyone a bit

Pumped to see his career progress as a Canuck!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He lost the game. He played great and made big time saves. But when the chips were down and he needed to make a save to keep them in the game. he did not. Who does that remind you off ... Louongo was just that way. played great big time saves left it all on the ice. But when it was the time to do it or don"t they both did not.

Dipietro backstopped his team to a Memorial Cup win before.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad