Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
no they absolutely will not do that, what in the world is this guy smoking

Even if Benning is ultimately higher on DiPietro than Demko, I can't see how Green would trust DiPietro over Demko out of camp. Besides, Benning seems to be all about having a goalie succession plan in place.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
What in the hell hell? If MP makes the team out of camp, I will...

zIV3EwO.gif

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not sure i would want to build expectations like that on a guy who plays a position that needs some time. no matter how good he is in camp you would think he lacks the technical skills to play in the nhl on a sustained basis and must go back.

i mean i guess they can they keep him up for 10 games but does that help his development if he is realistically some years out?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You have to love prospects like Palmu, Jasek and DiPietro. The more people diss and doubt them, the more determined they are to prove everybody wrong and actually make it. Not saying it will happen with all of them or maybe not any of them...but you have to love the attitude.
We should all do our part to diss and doubt them as much as we can then, as a sign of encouragement. :sarcasm:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This is great news regardless if makes camp! Developing FANTASTACALLY!!

Man I love this prospect :yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks might have two of the best young goalie prospects in their pipeline of any team in the entire NHL. Hard not to be pumped about that, regardless of how hard they compete and push each other. Demko arrives in the NHL first, but DiPietro might not need a lot of time in Utica.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I can’t see DiPietro jumping ahead of Demko and staying in the NHL unless we have a rash of goalie injuries like Vegas had last season.
I guess if Nilsson or Markstrom get hurt along with Bachman in Utica then it’s plausible as MD isn’t eligible to play in the AHL but can play in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks might have two of the best young goalie prospects in their pipeline of any team in the entire NHL. Hard not to be pumped about that, regardless of how hard they compete and push each other. Demko arrives in the NHL first, but DiPietro might not need a lot of time in Utica.
Demko is already 3 years ahead of dipietro from an experience and development pov.

MP still has another year in the OHL while demko is either nhl this year or year 3 in the AHL. By the time MP graduates to the AHL it will be demko getting NHL action first.

It was a wise move to double down with MP in case demko didn’t pan out. I mean, the oilers prior to Talbot had banked on broissant to be their next guy and that didn’t work out for them. No other prospect in the pipeline until they drafted skinner in 2017.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The idea of throwing a 5'11 19 year-old into the NHL over Thatcher Demko is so inane that it has to be considered a possibility in the Benning era.

Reactions: Jyrki21

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The idea of throwing a 5'11 19 year-old into the NHL over Thatcher Demko is so inane that it has to be considered a possibility in the Benning era.

Virtanen situation, 1 more year in the OHL on a rebuilding team. Could be a Draisaitl situation where they keep him up till they trade him to a better team.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Virtanen situation, 1 more year in the OHL on a rebuilding team. Could be a Draisaitl situation where they keep him up till they trade him to a better team.

It means we'd be waiving someone to make room to hold a 19 year old just to accomplish that, which I'm 100% fine with if it means Nilsson/Gagner/Granlund/Roussel/Beagle are waved. But they'd probably wave Gaunce/Goldobin/Leipsic instead.

Reactions: geebaan

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
It means we'd be waiving someone to make room to hold a 19 year old just to accomplish that, which I'm 100% fine with if it means Nilsson/Gagner/Granlund/Roussel/Beagle are waved. But they'd probably wave Gaunce/Goldobin/Leipsic instead.

Thinking about it, if they do keep him on the roster it's most definitely the draisaitl situation. Where they will force the team to trade him.

Doubt they would need to waive him, probably said to the spitfire that they will keep him if not traded. Probably why a OHL scout knows about it and it didn't come locally. That means that he'll only be on the roster if he's not moved.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Thinking about it, if they do keep him on the roster it's most definitely the draisaitl situation. Where they will force the team to trade him.

Doubt they would need to waive him, probably said to the spitfire that they will keep him if not traded. Probably why a OHL scout knows about it and it didn't come locally. That means that he'll only be on the roster if he's not moved.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense then if that's the case. Would make more sense strategically if we didn't have so many waiver eligible players on the roster though.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Realistically he is 1 more OHL and half an AHL season away from the NHL at the very least. Most likely will take more than that though.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

This means the Canucks are threatening to waste a roster spot (which they can ill afford when the injury bug hits each season) to keep MDP in the NHL sitting doing nothing while losing the elc slide for this season and speeding up DiPietro's arbitration rights and UFA rights.

It seems so idiotic it's hard to believe anybody would make that threat. I'd expect the Spitfires' GM to outwait the Canucks unless some OHL team made a good offer.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
This means the Canucks are threatening to waste a roster spot (which they can ill afford when the injury bug hits each season) to keep MDP in the NHL sitting doing nothing while losing the elc slide for this season and speeding up DiPietro's arbitration rights and UFA rights.

It seems so idiotic it's hard to believe anybody would make that threat. I'd expect the Spitfires' GM to outwait the Canucks unless some OHL team made a good offer.

I mean I'm assuming this rumor is true. It would make no sense if MDP got a roster spot over both Demko and Nielson.

MDP is worth a fortune in the OHL. Probably looking at years of picks for him. But you are right, doubt Benning and co. can out wait the spitfires.

Reactions: Zombotron

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
They're not keeping him in the NHL. This is one of those PR stunts so that Benning can claim that they have another Grade A prospect. It's almost unheard of for a 19/20 year old to be a starting NHL goalie and actually have a good seaso

Just zero reason to even consider this and that's not even taking into consideration that we have Demko who actually is just about ready.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They're not keeping him in the NHL. This is one of those PR stunts so that Benning can claim that they have another Grade A prospect. It's almost unheard of for a 19/20 year old to be a starting NHL goalie and actually have a good seaso

Just zero reason to even consider this and that's not even taking into consideration that we have Demko who actually is just about ready.
Or perhaps it has nothing to do with Benning and it’s an idiot tweeting something to get attention from people that aren’t very smart? It’s next level stupid to think Dipietro has a chance to play an NHL game this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kevin Woodley of In-Goal Magazine claiming that both Demko and DiPietro are absolutely committed to refining their craft and growing as goaltenders, more so than any other goaltending prospects on his list. Bodes extremely well for VanCity with a 1-A and 1-B goaltenders who are driven to be the best they can be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is a loan to Europe out of the question?
Even if possible and I don’t think it is because he was drafted into the CHL, it makes no sense for him to go to Europe.

Why go and change angles for that one year and come back to North America to re adjust ?

Just a matter of his team trading him to a contender.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Spitfires lose DiPietro to injury in win over Spirit

After being piled on in the crease in the second period, Spitfires goalie Mikey DiPietro did not return for the third period of a 7-5 win by Windsor.

The scenario is far scarier for the Windsor Spitfires.

Neither starting goalie finished Thursday’s game between the Spitfires and No. 9-ranked Saginaw Spirit at the WFCU Centre.

For the second-straight game, Spirit goalie Cameron Lamour was pulled after he allowed four goals on seven shots, but after being piled on in the crease in the second period, Spitfires goalie Mikey DiPietro did not return for the third period of a 7-5 win by Windsor before 3,429 at the WFCU Centre.

“We worry for him,” Spitfires forward Tyler Angle said of DiPietro. “As much as (rookie backup) Kari (Piiroinen) helps, we need Mikey a lot.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad