Michael DiPietro Allows 2 Goals on first 2 Shots in NHL

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
The 2nd goal was crazy. Ben Hutton is a moron.

G6vVqYk.gif

Was this game played with in China?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
No one could have seen this coming.

Vancouver and Utica fans have been screaming for weeks.

First the Canucks decided to move their NHL backup so as to promote their prospect from the AHL. Nobody is complaining about them wanting to promote Demko from the AHL, but people do complain about the way they went about it. At that stage they had:

Markstrom-NHL contract, with the Canucks
Nilsson-NHL contract, with the Canucks
Demko-NHL, AHL starter, the Canucks' presumed goalie of the future
Kulbakov-AHL contract, was in ECHL but brought up as AHL backup to Demko due to injury to Richard Bachman

Their AHL backup had been Richard Bachman (NHL contract) who had been lost with an injury earlier and who it had already been determined was out for the rest of the season.

They were already thin at depth for goaltender. If they wanted to move Nilsson to promote Demko, they had to get a guy back to play in the AHL that could get called up to the NHL in case of injury.

They failed to do that. They took McKenna, who was in the NHL and had to pass waivers to get to the AHL. Some of us predicted McKenna would be claimed. It wasn't a suprise. As a result the Canucks, already thin on goalie depth, gave away their NHL backup without getting a goaltender back.

That's where it all started. Then after a couple of weeks the organization dealt with the problem by giving an American Hockey League professional tryout contract to a a 37 year old out of work goalie whose work this season had been 3 ECHL games with a 4.46 goals against average. They did nothing about getting someone that could be called up to the NHL in the event of injury. [Edit: Leighton has played well enough to help the Comets, but they didn't have enough faith in him to use him as the call up when Demko got hurt.]

They followed that by playing Markstrom, who had played four of the last five games before Nilsson was traded away, in 12 of the next 13 games including a back to back, largely with the team bleeding scoring chances night after night, still without signing anyone to use as NHL backup in case of injury. When Markstrom stopped 44 of 47 in 65 minutes of play, then 3 of 3 in the shootout a few nights after playing both games of a back to back, can anyone really be surprised that Markstrom came up hurt?

Overplay a goalie, the chances that he'll come up with an injury increase. That he did so is no surprise.

In the meantime the only other healthy goalie in the system with an NHL contract (or deserving of one) whose promotion was the reason for all this came down with an injury warming up for a game in which he was scheduled to once again back up Markstrom. They promoted Demko (who had been playing regularly in the AHL) and traded away their NHL backup killing their already thin system depth so that Demko could play one game in the next five weeks.

None of what happened to the Canucks resulting in DiPietro getting thrown in against the Sharks was difficult to foresee. It didn't have to happen. If the Canucks really had to move Demko up to give him some time on an NHL bench they should at least have gotten someone to replace him as AHL starter/NHL backup, not someone they should have anticipated would be lost on waivers, and once they were in the position they were in they had weeks to deal with it so that there was NHL depth.

And even when they called up DiPietro to back up Markstrom, they didn't do anything about it. DiPietro was called up on emergency loan on February 5. He backed up Markstrom February 5, February 7 and February 9. The Canucks were satisfied to keep him as the backup and didn't make a move to actually sign an NHL backup.

Since the Canucks lost McKenna on waivers the Leafs traded a 5th rounder for Michael Hutchinson. Perhaps Lehtonen, Mason, Lack, Pavelec or someone else might have been enticed to sign a short-term deal to get the Canucks a warm body with NHL experience. Instead of a trade or signing of an out-of-work NHL backup, the Canucks made the decision to go with DiPietro as the backup.

The Canucks' management team got exactly what it deserved last night. DiPietro didn't deserve to be put in that position.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think you've been reading the Canucks' portion of hfb. Vancouver and Utica fans have been screaming for weeks.

First they decide to move their NHL backup so as to promote their prospect in the AHL. Nobody is complaining about them wanting to promote Demko from the AHL, but they had to do it without killing their depth. At that stage they had:

Demko-NHL, AHL starter
Bachman-NHL contract, already out for the season with injury
Kulbakov-AHL contract, was in ECHL but brought up as AHL backup to Demko

They were already thin at depth for goaltender. If they wanted to move Nilsson to promote Demko, they had to get a guy back to play in the AHL that could get called up to the NHL in case of injury.

They failed to do that. They took McKenna, who was in the NHL and had to pass waivers to get to the AHL. Some of us predicted McKenna would be claimed. It wasn't a suprise. So the Canucks, already thin on goalie depth, gave away their NHL backup without getting a goaltender back.

That's where it all started. Then after a couple of weeks the organization dealt with the problem by giving an American Hockey League professional tryout contract to a a 37 year old out of work goalie whose work this season had been 3 ECHL games with a 4.46 goals against average. They did nothing about the NHL.

They followed that by playing Markstrom, who had played four of the last five games before Nilsson was traded away, in 12 of the next 13 games including a back to back, largely with the team bleeding scoring chances night after night, still without signing anyone to use as NHL backup in case of injury. When Markstrom stopped 44 of 47 in 65 minutes of play, then 3 of 3 in the shootout a few nights after playing both games of a back to back, can anyone really be surprised that Markstrom came up hurt?

Overplay a goalie, the chances are fairly high that eventually he'll come up with at least a minor injury. That he did so is no surprise.

In the meantime the only other healthy goalie in the system with an NHL contract (or deserving of one) whose promotion was the reason for all this came down with an injury warming up for a game in which he was scheduled to once again back up Markstrom. They promoted Demko, trading away their NHL backup and killing their already thin system depth, so that Demko could play one game in the next five weeks.

None of what happened to the Canucks resulting in DiPietro getting thrown in against the Sharks was difficult to foresee. It didn't have to happen in the first place, if the Canucks really had to move Demko up they should have gotten the right return (not someone they should have anticipated would be lost on waivers) and once they were in the position they were in, they had weeks to deal with it so that there was NHL depth.

And even when they called up DiPietro to back up Markstrom, they didn't do anything about it. DiPietro was called up on emergency loan on February 5. He backed up Markstrom February 5, February 7 and February 9. The Canucks were satisfied to keep him as the backup and didn't make a move to actually sign an NHL backup.

Since the Canucks lost McKenna on waivers the Leafs traded a 5th rounder for Michael Hutchinson. Perhaps Lehtonen, Mason, Lack, Pavelec or someone else might have been enticed to sign a short-term deal to get the Canucks a warm body with NHL experience. Instead, they CHOSE to go with DiPietro as the backup.

They didn't. The Canucks' management team got exactly what it deserved last night. Unfortunately, DiPietro didn't deserve to be put in that position.

I'm confused why Demko didn't really get used prior to getting hurt ? He played one game. What was the point of promiting him to backup if he never plays ? Could've just kept Nilsson . He at least got played every once in a while even if he isn't that good.

By the way Lehtonen is probably retired. He's been spotted hanging around downtown Dallas in skateparks and other venues. I don't think he's interesting in moving somewhere to play backup .

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
of course markstrom puts up a 94% save percentage against calgary and carry the canucks to a fluke shootout win and they play a chl goalie the next game against the team chasing calgary lmao

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think you've been reading the Canucks' portion of hfb. Vancouver and Utica fans have been screaming for weeks.

First they decide to move their NHL backup so as to promote their prospect in the AHL. Nobody is complaining about them wanting to promote Demko from the AHL, but they had to do it without killing their depth. At that stage they had:

Demko-NHL, AHL starter
Bachman-NHL contract, already out for the season with injury
Kulbakov-AHL contract, was in ECHL but brought up as AHL backup to Demko

They failed to do that. They took McKenna, who was in the NHL and had to pass waivers to get to the AHL. Some of us predicted McKenna would be claimed. It wasn't a suprise. So the Canucks, already thin on goalie depth, gave away their NHL backup without getting a goaltender back.

That's where it all started. Then after a couple of weeks the organization dealt with the problem by giving an American Hockey League professional tryout contract to a a 37 year old out of work goalie whose work this season had been 3 ECHL games with a 4.46 goals against average. They did nothing about the NHL.

Overplay a goalie, the chances are fairly high that eventually he'll come up with at least a minor injury. That he did so is no surprise.

In the meantime the only other healthy goalie in the system with an NHL contract (or deserving of one) whose promotion was the reason for all this came down with an injury warming up for a game in which he was scheduled to once again back up Markstrom. They promoted Demko, trading away their NHL backup and killing their already thin system depth, so that Demko could play one game in the next five weeks.

None of what happened to the Canucks resulting in DiPietro getting thrown in against the Sharks was difficult to foresee. It didn't have to happen in the first place, if the Canucks really had to move Demko up they should have gotten the right return (not someone they should have anticipated would be lost on waivers) and once they were in the position they were in, they had weeks to deal with it so that there was NHL depth.

Since the Canucks lost McKenna on waivers the Leafs traded a 5th rounder for Michael Hutchinson. Perhaps Lehtonen, Mason, Lack, Pavelec or someone else might have been enticed to sign a short-term deal to get the Canucks a warm body with NHL experience. Instead, they CHOSE to go with DiPietro as the backup.

They didn't. The Canucks' management team got exactly what it deserved last night. Unfortunately, DiPietro didn't deserve to be put in that position.

I know. I have been following. When I say no one could have seen this coming, I mean no could have not seen this coming. I thought it was too obvious to add the emoticon.

And thank you for the write-up, I can not put into writing what I think of Canucks management right now. I was so upset last night that I almost texted Alex to tell him to get his pads on, I was so disgusted. Calmer now.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You know Canucks, it may have made sense to keep a back up instead of trading him away.
I know this is several pages old and it's probably been done already, but Luongo is long gone by now, but late to be lamenting that trade

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I know. I have been following. When I say no one could have seen this coming, I mean no could have not seen this coming. I thought it was too obvious to add the emoticon.

And thank you for the write-up, I can not put into writing what I think of Canucks management right now. I was so upset last night that I almost texted Alex to tell him to get his pads on, I was so disgusted. Calmer now.

Sorry. I've edited to take out the first sentence and should have caught the nature of your post.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Looks like after yesterday the Canucks management finally did something.

Reactions: zaqq

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
He's had a tough time in that building with the world juniors and now his first NHL game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did they trade a 6th round pick? We picked up an extra one about a month ago . . .
Best case scenario would be a Nate Thompson type deal where they move down a round in the draft. Montreal got Thompson and a 5th for a 4th for example.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Canucks are complete idiots for throwing this kid to the wolves.

I guess the trend of them not knowing how to properly manage goalies continues.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I watched part of the game last night, that was awful and you have to feel bad for him. I see the Canucks acquired a goalie today so got to think Dipietro will be going back to the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad