Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I thought he'd replace Kuhnhakl or Beau, but both are playing really well, so I can only think he'd take Ross J's spot..which would be a shame...I wanted to see MDC in a top 6 role.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I thought he'd replace Kuhnhakl or Beau, but both are playing really well, so I can only think he'd take Ross J's spot..which would be a shame...I wanted to see MDC in a top 6 role.
This is what Lou and Trotz wanted competition within the organization. It’s funny that Snow could never figure this out

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Missed the afternoon game vs. Dallas where Dal Colle made his debut. (time change isn't great 2am game for me). How did he look? I see he slotted in on 4th line. :thumbd:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Missed the afternoon game vs. Dallas where Dal Colle made his debut. (time change isn't great 2am game for me). How did he look? I see he slotted in on 4th line. :thumbd:
Don’t feel bad. The team missed the game too.

Dal Colle’s skating seems to have improved. He only had 9 minites of ice time but he didn’t crap the bed while he was on. Given the disaster we were today Dal Colle was not all that bad.

Reactions: dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
MDC earned more playing time. His skating looked better. He needs to be used in a top six role though.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i didn't expect much from him, tbh. i am sure that LT told him to keep his game simple, and work hard. and to his credit, he did. he looked much stronger on his skates, minimized his errors.

i can see him taking Ladd's place. 2nd/3rd LW, with minor PP time. still think his skating needs to improve a bit, before becoming a full-timer.

Reactions: NC 1972

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
It's a tough road to hoe for Dal Colle. I remember Bill Guerin getting called up by the Devils back in 91-92, and he was an immediate presence and a year younger than Dal Colle is now. I just don't think Dal Colle has it. The game is too fast for him. It's harder to get open for shots in the slot because if you can't skate well, the defenders can and they'll get to you before you can get that shot off. If he's put with Mat Barzal, he can't keep up. He's not going to take Lee or Bailey off of Nelson's line. I really think the best thing to do is get him back to Bridgeport, let him score more, and trade him to a team that he fits on. Any line he could be on here is too fast for him.

Reactions: SI

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I know MDC has been scoring down in the AHL and he looks alright when he is playing here but his foot speed is just so bad. I am not sure if he has the speed to keep up with Barzal to be honest.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know MDC has been scoring down in the AHL and he looks alright when he is playing here but his foot speed is just so bad. I am not sure if he has the speed to keep up with Barzal to be honest.

Barzal? I want him to keep up with Lee.

If we're being honest, it is literally MDC's (foot) speed that is going to keep him from being an NHLer. It's just not good enough.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i kinda get the same vibe as Lee, when he first started. everyone was saying that his poor skating will keep him from the bigs, but i think he will make it. he is grittier than i remembered, not bad along the boards. put him with a playmaker and a grinder, let him set up high in the slot, and let them rip.

i like that LT isn't afraid to start the youngsters on the bottom 6. tell them to learn the D side of the game first.

Reactions: BarzyClub

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
i kinda get the same vibe as Lee, when he first started. everyone was saying that his poor skating will keep him from the bigs, but i think he will make it. he is grittier than i remembered, not bad along the boards. put him with a playmaker and a grinder, let him set up high in the slot, and let them rip.

i like that LT isn't afraid to start the youngsters on the bottom 6. tell them to learn the D side of the game first.
I agree. I think he could certainly benefit from playing LW in Filpullas line if not Nelson’s. Not many NHlers ( let alone islanders ) can keep up with Barzal lol

MDC looks quicker to me and is playing with a heck of a lot more urgency than he did last year. Good signs all- now get him on a scoring line so he can move on from the bust label.

Reactions: dood

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Interesting you say that, I am of the belief Lee and Bailey both looked better with Nelson than with Barzal.

I'm not talking about who gels with who on lines...I'm just talking about one player's individual skating. I personally don't think MDC's is good enough to have a career in the NHL.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’d give him a few games on a scoring line, see what he does, see what you have in him.

Also, if speed is his barrier, link him up w JTs old skating coach. If he’s got the desire and work ethic (not sold) he can improve that.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I remember winning the last game of the season in 2014, which dropped us from 4th to 5th overall in the draft. I was upset because we lost out on Sam Bennett. Now here we are 4 years later and Sam Bennet is a full-time NHL player, with a whopping 9 points in 30 GP. And Dal Colle continues to fester in the AHL. I wonder how many points MDC would have today if he was playing all season. I'll never understand how prospect handling can be so extreme.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I remember winning the last game of the season in 2014, which dropped us from 4th to 5th overall in the draft. I was upset because we lost out on Sam Bennett. Now here we are 4 years later and Sam Bennet is a full-time NHL player, with a whopping 9 points in 30 GP. And Dal Colle continues to fester in the AHL. I wonder how many points MDC would have today if he was playing all season. I'll never understand how prospect handling can be so extreme.
man what a weak draft

Reactions: bigtim1988

crasherino

May 9, 2013
In the new Mitch Marner (promotional) piece in the Athletic, there’s a little snippet that MDC trains with the same trainer and group as Marner.

Nothing more than that and it doesn’t mean that he’s not loafing it, but it struck a chord to me how the kid is probably working as hard as anyone and it’s slowly paying off - at least in the AHL.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I wouldn't be displeased if he panned out to be a Dalgarno type... a dude that can be on your 3rd line and chip in 12 goals a year while playing an honest, conservative north/south game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad