Player Discussion: Michael Dal Colle

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Thank you. Given his stellar play to start the year, I really hope he's not out for an extended period. Anything more than a weekend would be frustrating.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I only watched a handful of games last year so I don't have a full season to compare it to but from what I've seen the difference has really been his positioning and play along the boards. He does seem to be stronger along the boards but more importantly he's playing more down low (almost in the Anders Lee spot) and has been great at it. As good as his shot is, unfortunately his problem the last two years is he isn't able to get it off fast enough. As far as his skating, I don't see too much difference from what I saw last year. Would love to hear more thoughts from others who have the AHL package this year though.

Thanks for the update. It is disappointing to hear his skating hasn't really improved. MDC is not as big as Lee and will not make a living in the NHL by standing in front of the net. If he can't skate better and learn to get his shot off I don't see him playing in the NHL.

Anyone who has watched more games have anything more to offer?

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Matt Moulson did it. He wasn't as physical as Lee but he got a lot of his points down low off of slop where he could get his shot off quickly.

Thanks for the update. It is disappointing to hear his skating hasn't really improved. MDC is not as big as Lee and will not make a living in the NHL by standing in front of the net. If he can't skate better and learn to get his shot off I don't see him playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Matt Moulson did it. He wasn't as physical as Lee but he got a lot of his points down low off of slop where he could get his shot off quickly.

Moulson despite all his flaws had great hand eye coordination. It's not like any player can just stand infront of the net and mimic that. I wonder how much being 2 sport players help in stuff like that(Moulson was good at lacrosse)

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
dont watch the b'port games but nice to see mdc putting up some points , JHS is -9 though , ouch .

I suspect that adding the few journeymen AHL guys like the bourques helps insulate the young guys

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Moulson despite all his flaws had great hand eye coordination. It's not like any player can just stand infront of the net and mimic that. I wonder how much being 2 sport players help in stuff like that(Moulson was good at lacrosse)
Ask Anders Lee.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

I’ve seeen four games and it to me is confidence, he just looks more confident with puck and making plays. I think the success early has helped his confidence. I never gave up on him as his skating isn’t good but he also isn’t slow per say. He is so big and not physical he was compared to Nash but he isn’t skater Nash was. He has gotten more involved physically this year, noticeably in fact and I think that has helped his game overall. I think he can be a third line forward who can play on PP and score 20 in NHL on a good year(cheap replacement for Ladd)

Reactions: dood

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I’ve seeen four games and it to me is confidence, he just looks more confident with puck and making plays. I think the success early has helped his confidence. I never gave up on him as his skating isn’t good but he also isn’t slow per say. He is so big and not physical he was compared to Nash but he isn’t skater Nash was. He has gotten more involved physically this year, noticeably in fact and I think that has helped his game overall. I think he can be a third line forward who can play on PP and score 20 in NHL on a good year(cheap replacement for Ladd)
We'll take ANY replacement for Ladd.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Really upbeat guy considering where he came from.

It would not surprise me to see him have a Josh Bailey trajectory. I’m not necessarily comparing their statistical upside, but I can see Dal Colle slowly progressing each season until he’s finally a useful and appreciated player.

Both are high character guys with good IQ, drafted high and have been questioned in the early parts of their career.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Lol players that need to 25 to be NHL ready don't help. Remember most fans don't want to even sign a guy who is 28 because he's to old.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Lol players that need to 25 to be NHL ready don't help. Remember most fans don't want to even sign a guy who is 28 because he's to old.
If MDC can be Patrick Sharp then it will work out. Sharp did not make NHL until he is 24 and did have quite a few productive seasons with the Hawks during his prime.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Really upbeat guy considering where he came from.

It would not surprise me to see him have a Josh Bailey trajectory. I’m not necessarily comparing their statistical upside, but I can see Dal Colle slowly progressing each season until he’s finally a useful and appreciated player.

Both are high character guys with good IQ, drafted high and have been questioned in the early parts of their career.

Thought he did too until I read that he's a Pats fan. :thumbd:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Fans don't want to sign guys who are 28 when they're looking for monster deals that will end up badly for the team. Late bloomers can be locked up for cheap so the age thing isn't nearly as big of a concern. Nice try though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's doing well stats wise in the AHL this year. Maybe he has earned a call up if there is an injury.

At this stage he's going to have to find a niche as a bottom 6 player if he is ever going to be a regular NHL'er.

But give him some credit for going to the AHL and working to be noticed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad