Confirmed with Link: Michael Chaput has been traded to Chicago for Tanner Kero

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Kero is a year younger than Chaput. Already signed to a contract for next year and then is an RFA.

Assume he would have to clear waivers. I liked Chaput but I never saw him with much NHL potential.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kero is on a 1 way contract this year so i do not think it was money.

this might be at the request of chaput. he was further down the depth chart with green than he was with willie so he may be looking for a better shot elsewhere.

only other reason i can see is kero played ncaa so i think is not yet a veteran under ahl rules.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I think Chaput likely told the team he wasn't going to accept a qualifying offer and would head to Europe. Team doesn't want to just hold his rights and instead got a centre under contract in the AHl who can put up decent numbers in the top 6. No complaints

Minor league deal, don't think it makes Utica worse or better lol. Better sign another top 6 centre this offseason for Utica though...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Chaput was an adaquate 4th line/13th forward here and overall played well in that role.

He unfairly gets lumped in with Megna for various reasons despite being the far better player.

But, whatever. Hopefully this is a good fit for Utica.

Reactions: MS

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
He almost looks a little like Motte.

Has speed to burn. Nothing groundbreaking but I like it.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Sounds like a contract dump by Chicago. Chicago was already at 45 contracts with Jurco and Duclair still unsigned. I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago doesn't qualify Chaput.

Meanwhile Kero helps fill the hole at center in Utica.

Does Kero do any better filling the center hole than Chaput though? He doesn't provide as much scoring, either goal scoring or assists. He certainly doesn't fill the role of #1 playmaking center. He's small than Chaput. He doesn't provide grit (45 penalty minutes in 130 AHL games.)

The one clear advantage he has over Chaput is that he isn't yet a veteran by AHL standards.

We'll likely learn of some reason for this trade from a Canucks' perspective. I haven't figured it out.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Travis Green heartbroken..........

Jim Benning crushing it for us...........

At the end of the day a big Meh...........Certainly not going to lose any sleep over not having Shampooo on our team

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I guess maybe there was some issue with signing Chaput so they swapped him for a similar player who is already under contract for next year. Kero is on an 800K one-way contract through next season.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This is what I posted on the trade forum if it helps any.

I don't know about good, but certainly serviceable 13th forward. He's kinda decent at everything. Good at nothing. Works hard. Pretty good at deflecting pucks.

Vanilla. Hawks have been very concious about maintaining relationships among players. To me this feels like Kero didn't want to spend another year buried in Rockford so they're giving him a chance to latch on somewhere else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Basically a small cap dump by the Hawks as Kero has one year left on his deal....would be shocked if they qualified Chaput and doubt the Canucks would have either. Although if they're still interested they could double back on Chaput once he becomes a UFA....but they need to integrate younger guys into the lineup in Utica.

Kero another former USHL player and U of Michigan forward...becoming something of a factory for the Canucks.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Comets centers last season consisted of Chaput and Cassels on NHL deals, Wacey freaking Hamilton and Cam Darcy on AHL deals and various ECHL guys on PTOs. At least it brings in another depth center that can play in Utica.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Vanilla. Hawks have been very concious about maintaining relationships among players. To me this feels like Kero didn't want to spend another year buried in Rockford so they're giving him a chance to latch on somewhere else.

this makes sense as an explanation for the canucks also. chaput was a soldier for us and i think we'd move him sideways for a fresh start if he asked.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Kero is better than people give him credit for. I think he could become a John Maddon type player on a title team. He can play 4C, be responsible and chip in a little offense here and there.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The one clear advantage he has over Chaput is that he isn't yet a veteran by AHL standards.

We'll likely learn of some reason for this trade from a Canucks' perspective. I haven't figured it out.

If this lays the groundwork for signing a vet to be the #1 centre (which Chaput never was), then it’s a solid move.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Does Kero do any better filling the center hole than Chaput though? He doesn't provide as much scoring, either goal scoring or assists. He certainly doesn't fill the role of #1 playmaking center. He's small than Chaput. He doesn't provide grit (45 penalty minutes in 130 AHL games.)

As I said, Kero is already under contract for next year. That has some minor value. If Chaput wasn't happy here then he is not someone with whom you want to spend a lot of time negotiating. Swapping him for a guy who is already signed makes sense.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Ideally like Chaput should have been he's used as a 2/3 center in Utica. We still need someone better, but if Chaput was going to move on there's no harm in swapping him for Kero.

I'm guessing this was probably a deal worked out by someone lower in the organization, maybe Ryan Johnson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad