Michael Bournival, the revelation so far this season!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Some interesting comments from back when Bournival got off to his hot start last year. Funny how things change a year later. Wonder if management feels they rushed him or not?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Some interesting comments from back when Bournival got off to his hot start last year. Funny how things change a year later. Wonder if management feels they rushed him or not?

I've been harsh on him this year (well, more harsh on our usage of him - he should be in the AHL right now) but I also feel like he started the season off on his back foot due to his injuries and still hasn't gotten into any kind of rhythm. Which is hard to do playing less than 10 minutes a game but, let's face it, he hasn't played well enough in his limited showings to unseat anyone else either.

I would send him to the AHL for the rest of the year, consider this season a write-off for him, and see what he can do next year. Call him up if a fourth liner is hurt but other than that, let him get his groove back in Hamilton. And if someone wants to pry him out of our hands in a trade, I wouldn't stay married to him.

(my post is making a few assumptions that I'm too lazy to check on, such as whether or not he needs to clear waivers and whether or not his contract goes beyond this season. Capgeek, you are missed)

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
something to keep in mind though when we have calls up that impress in their call ups, you just never know how things are going to turn out.

Preparing your point about sending JDLR down? ;)

Not that I think it would be a mistake, you just seem invested in that argument lately. Bournival had the same flaws, even in his best stints last year. He has great speed, and good forecheck, he just seems to lack talent to finish. Doesn't mean he's a bad player now, I think our expectations are more realistic.

Pricef*

I was actually wondering how long it would be before someone dug up this thread. Was just a matter of time once the JDLR can be a good 3rd line center comments started.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I was much more impressed with Dumont than I have with been with Bournival this year, wouldn't have a problem with sending him back to the AHL the rest of the year to gain back some confidence.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That's what happen when you showcase Bork and Moen and let your rookies sit in the pressbox.

To be fair the gamble paid off and both guys were moved.

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
Bournival saved a goal a bit ago, and set up Maholtra with a glorious chance in the slot last night, and still many are willing to toss him in the trash. I'd like to see him with a different centre (didn't look too shabby with DLR and Thomas), or back down to the AHL with more icetime.

As much as he seems like a nice fella, I hope the habs don't dress Maholtra any longer. I rather see DLR, Prust, or Bournival himself as 4C.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Bournival saved a goal a bit ago, and set up Maholtra with a glorious chance in the slot last night, and still many are willing to toss him in the trash. I'd like to see him with a different centre (didn't look too shabby with DLR and Thomas), or back down to the AHL with more icetime.

As much as he seems like a nice fella, I hope the habs don't dress Maholtra any longer. I rather see DLR, Prust, or Bournival himself as 4C.

I don't think we rushed Bournival. What we see is the kind of player he is. He's a hard working, fast, bottom 6 player. He's a fine player, but ultimately expendable.

I do think we're rushing JDLR

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think we rushed Bournival. What we see is the kind of player he is. He's a hard working, fast, bottom 6 player. He's a fine player, but ultimately expendable.

I do think we're rushing JDLR

Bournival played in 69 AHL games and had 10 goals, 30 pts. The next year he's a full time NHLer and after a hot start to the year, he went on one of the worst slumps you have go on but was never sent back down. To me that's rushing him to the NHL when his offensive game just wasn't ready and now he looks like he can't score for anything. Not sure how he's a fine player just because he's fast and works hard. Not physical, no offense, that's not really a good combo.

Preparing your point about sending JDLR down? ;)

Not that I think it would be a mistake, you just seem invested in that argument lately. Bournival had the same flaws, even in his best stints last year. He has great speed, and good forecheck, he just seems to lack talent to finish. Doesn't mean he's a bad player now, I think our expectations are more realistic.

I don't see DLR getting sent down, doesn't mean it won't be a mistake but time will tell. People at the time of this thread, were speaking so highly of Bournival and how he was going to replace Pleks. Then he goes a full calendar year with 1 goal and opinions have soured. History has a way of repeating it's self. Not saying it will or won't, but I see Eller get a lot of crap around here at times for his lack of consistent offense and while DLR isn't the same player we did rush Eller imo and that has hurt his offensive game. Time will tell if the best thing for DLR is to be in the NHL full time at 19, in terms of having a consistent offensive game.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

That "glorious chance" involved Bournival having possession, almost losing it all by himself, and then wildly whipping it a couple feet behind Malhotra once he half got control again, actually.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I had high hopes too for this guy. I'm not sure what happened but he looks like a shadow of the guy who showed so much promise at the earlier stages of last season.

Maybe its injuries, but I still think the habs should heed a bit more patience. It doesn't make sense how he can show so much for a stretch, and then just fall flat on his face.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Guy barely plays. 7:49 TOI/GP and 23 games this year.

Honestly, he's 22. Keep him AHL all year because this won't help him in any way. Whatever marginal upside he has will be squashed.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Bournival is a big disappointment. He shouldn't even be up playing with the Habs. We have enough grinders as it is.Either send him down, or send him packing in a trade.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hope DLR don't end up same way a year from now

Without knowing 100%, I'm thinking it won't happen with this kid, he's just too good!! I never liked Bournival's upside, to me it was obvious from the get go that he would end up the way he is at this moment. As for DLR, it's no coincidence they're giving big time assignments, playing overtime minutes and in succeeding it spells the end of Lars Eller with this team if a big time trade goes down.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Bournival played in 69 AHL games and had 10 goals, 30 pts. The next year he's a full time NHLer and after a hot start to the year, he went on one of the worst slumps you have go on but was never sent back down. To me that's rushing him to the NHL when his offensive game just wasn't ready and now he looks like he can't score for anything. Not sure how he's a fine player just because he's fast and works hard. Not physical, no offense, that's not really a good combo.

I don't see DLR getting sent down, doesn't mean it won't be a mistake but time will tell. People at the time of this thread, were speaking so highly of Bournival and how he was going to replace Pleks. Then he goes a full calendar year with 1 goal and opinions have soured. History has a way of repeating it's self. Not saying it will or won't, but I see Eller get a lot of crap around here at times for his lack of consistent offense and while DLR isn't the same player we did rush Eller imo and that has hurt his offensive game. Time will tell if the best thing for DLR is to be in the NHL full time at 19, in terms of having a consistent offensive game.

People have short memories. Bournival isn't a big guy but he lays the body on the forecheck. In my opinion he was never going to be a heavy point producer, but yes.....speed, strong defensive play, and work ethic make you "fine" as a player....but not good. I think the biggest factor with Bournival has been his concussion. We've seen similar things happen to other players when they come back. To me its clearly having an effect. That combined with low ice time and you see the results.

I agree that we should send him down and see if he can find his game again if he's not traded.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
People have short memories. Bournival isn't a big guy but he lays the body on the forecheck. In my opinion he was never going to be a heavy point producer, but yes.....speed, strong defensive play, and work ethic make you "fine" as a player....but not good. I think the biggest factor with Bournival has been his concussion. We've seen similar things happen to other players when they come back. To me its clearly having an effect. That combined with low ice time and you see the results.

I agree that we should send him down and see if he can find his game again if he's not traded.

I thought he played a great game against the Wings. It isn't his fault he plays with Malhotra who can't barely play hockey anymore. He created some plays for Malhotra who screwed up many times.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He's not nearly physical enough imo. speed and work ethic are nice but if you go an entire calendar year and can only score 1 goal it's not fine, especially when it's compounded that half of our current roster has scored 2 or less goals on the season. If Bournival were on the sabers or canes it wouldn't be an issue, or if the Habs didn't have so much trouble scoring it would be much less of an issue. But the Habs are a top team in the NHL with a poor offense that has only a few players that can consistently score.

Even with low ice time, as it's not just points but it's more of him just looking lost in the offensive zone and not being able to do much of anything. As for sending him down, I still don't understand why they didn't do this last year after the injury as he went month after month without scoring a single goal. That had to be really hard on his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad