Michael Bournival, the revelation so far this season!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
lol and reading my post, i was saying similar things but what freaked me out was my prediction that Obyrne would be OUT of the NHL in 3 years possibly... now i kinda feel guilty lmao :P

It's all your fault :sarcasm:

I never saw anything special in O'Byrne, not once. I think Hab fans are so scared of past trades that we are stuck with that mentality of watch him develop elsewhere and turn out to be a great player type thing. Anyways I didn't care much at the time but you saw even 2 years ago when he was in Shawinigan that something good could have come out of him. Glad it's working for us

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's all your fault :sarcasm:

I never saw anything special in O'Byrne, not once. I think Hab fans are so scared of past trades that we are stuck with that mentality of watch him develop elsewhere and turn out to be a great player type thing. Anyways I didn't care much at the time but you saw even 2 years ago when he was in Shawinigan that something good could have come out of him. Glad it's working for us

Bigtime, .. bournival looks like he aint gonna slow down any time soon, like someone else said, even WITHOUT the points he is standing out out there for good reasons

forget the fact he has 5 points in 7 games on very veryyy limited icetime, and was hands down our best player in the pre season

when a team has injuries and you have to fill those voids, well bournival is making the MOST of that oppurtunity, so much so that you want briere to STAY injured unfortunately..

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I like the Dupuis comparison for him.

Maybe we should have seen this coming. Bournival has a pretty solid career résumé:

- 7th overall pick in the Q draft.
- Was a consistent point producer year-after-year after his rookie season in the Q.
- Played for Canada at the U-18.
- Was viewed as a late 2nd rounder in his draft year.
- Had a good NHL camp in fall 2011, even drawing praise from Lecavalier when we played the Lightning.
- Played for Team Canada at the WJC.
- 1.37 PPG in his last year of junior, scoring 30 goals in 41 games. If he had played a full season, he would have probably flirted with 100 points.
- Captained a Memorial Cup champion in a tournament they were supposed to get crushed in, assisting on OT winner.

Putting up 30 points on last year's Bulldogs was akin to putting up 50 points on other AHL teams.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
"Marcel Hossa scored 5 goals in his first 5 NHL games."

This.

Let's enjoy it and see how it turns out.

NewHabsEra*

You are right on the mark. Additionally, we should also not panic when a prospect/young player on the Habs gets off to a "slow" start production-wise.

Bournival stood out during training camp, and his efforts have not gone unnoticed. DD has struggled, and now finds himself playing behind the kid line and Bournival.

Therrien and Bergevin are taking a lot of heat, but truthfully, I think they have been pretty fair, and for the most part astute in their player assessments and resultant line combinations. Bouillon has perhaps been given too much rope by Therrien..but he has improved as the season has gone on, as his ice time and PP time dissipated.

Unlike many past coach/GM duos...Therrien and MB have shown no reluctance to give and reward young players ice time.

When's the last time three Habs forwards under the age of 22 were playing on the top two lines? When's the last time five Hab prospects under the age of 22 started the season (once Beaulieu returned from injury) with the Habs? Right now the Habs have four forwards under the age of 22 in the lineup....five forwards under the age of 24. Once Patch returns, Holland will be sent down, but it still leaves the team with five forwards 24 or younger, and six forwards 25 or younger.

Bergevin/Therrien are giving young players opportunities and they are succeeding. For the past decade on this forum, posters have repeatedly trashed the organization for playing washed up veterans over burgeoning young prospects....it's finally happening...and yet we see threads and a plethora of posts lambasting Therrien and Bergy..who even was compared to Houle of all people.

You play young players..there are going to be bumps on the road. Some games the team and prospects will look great..others they will struggle. The one thing that is relatively certain though is the team will improve as the season goes on and as the kids get more comfortable, and improve.

The Houle comparison was some kind of bad humour from my part if you read me correctly, I was only pointing out some very questionnable and worrisome moves he did since hired.. There is no way Bergevin is another Houle but you have to admit he failed to ice the best team possible short term.. Also, as atrocious as Houle was, you cant say that the guy was very pampered with young players, if you take a look at the drafts we had in those years you will easily notice that he hadnt the huge chance to have a Trevor Timmins beside him to make his job easier.. Bergevin inherited of a bunch of super skilled young players, a very promising core that he just cant fail to bring at the contender level..

Or we could just keep Bourque. 'Cause he fills this role very nicely.

:biglaugh: Nice one! Bourque is so overrated by some fans its not even funny, unidimentional goalscorer who has trouble to find chimestry with his linemates, he is pretty inconsistent, doesnt get his nose dirty, isnt physical and loses the puck too easily.. I still have him in the line-up over Briere though..

Last edited by a moderator:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The Houle comparison was some kind of bad humour from my part if you read me correctly, I was only pointing out some very questionnable and worrisome moves he did since hired.. There is no way Bergevin is another Houle but you have to admit he failed to ice the best team possible short term.. Also, as atrocious as Houle was, you cant say that the guy was very spoiled with young players, if you take a look at the drafts we had in those years you will easily notice that he hadnt the huge chance to have a Trevor Timmins beside him to make his job easier.. Bergevin inherited of a bunch of super skilled young players, a very promising core that he just cant fail to bring at the contender level..

:biglaugh: Nice one! Bourque is so overrated by some fans its not even funny, unidimentional goalscorer who has trouble to find chimestry with his linemates, he is pretty inconsistent, doesnt get his nose dirty, isnt physical and loses the puck too easily.. I still have him in the line-up over Briere though..

Bourque overrated??? Everyone hates him on this board and I can't understand why. Maybe I miss his bad games but he's often the best player on his line. Last year's playoffs he was probably our best forward and he was very physical. He doesn't make good on all his chances but he seems to get a few chances a game at worst. He's like a better more consistent AK which at 3.3 a year is great.

NewHabsEra*

Bourque overrated??? Everyone hates him on this board and I can't understand why. Maybe I miss his bad games but he's often the best player on his line. Last year's playoffs he was probably our best forward and he was very physical. He doesn't make good on all his chances but he seems to get a few chances a game at worst. He's like a better more consistent AK which at 3.3 a year is great.

Bourque has some nice flashes here and there but his work ethic and overall game is rather meh.. He doesnt go in traffic and he is a passenger most of the times.. Also, he doesnt use his size to protect the puck like he should be, loses the puck too easily for a guy his size.. He is a tall player not playing big.. He isnt complete garbage but I just dont like the fact that he just cant develop any chimestry with his linemates, he is a borderline floater who isnt involved in the play enough.. He has some nice speed and a good shot but he rarely is in a position to use it and beat a goaltender.. I think thats a player that needs to be constantly pushed and he will be well served when the injured guys are back,,

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I really like the Higgins comparison. Like Higgins he might have a few good offensive seasons but its as a versatile two way forward that hell make his mark. Higgins looked really dominant at times early in his career because of his speed and hard work, is downfall is that he wasnt all that skilled. Oh and "attitude" apparantly.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
The Houle comparison was some kind of bad humour from my part if you read me correctly, I was only pointing out some very questionnable and worrisome moves he did since hired.. There is no way Bergevin is another Houle but you have to admit he failed to ice the best team possible short term.. Also, as atrocious as Houle was, you cant say that the guy was very spoiled with young players, if you take a look at the drafts we had in those years you will easily notice that he hadnt the huge chance to have a Trevor Timmins beside him to make his job easier.. Bergevin inherited of a bunch of super skilled young players, a very promising core that he just cant fail to bring at the contender level..

Failed to ice the best team possible. How many GMs have the ability to ice the best team possible in the salary cap world?? It doesn't sound like you are very clued in to what it's like to be the GM of an NHL team. You don't get to make the one-sided trades suggested on this forum, or sign any free agent you want. You are competing against 29 other teams for players. It's easy to sit on your computer chair and say "He should have done this and that"..but you're not rooted in reality..you have no idea about the inner machinations.

Bergevin needed to replace Ryder - he preferred to do it with a veteran instead of taking the very real risk of hoping a youngster who has never come close to 30 goals yet can replace those goals.

Yes - he did inherit a good young crop from TT - which enabled him to take a flyer on Briere. There are a number of players on the team on ELC's. Are we over the salary cap with Briere? Nope. There is even some wiggle room to make other moves this year...and Briere didn't cost the team any assets.

The club was able to afford the gamble on Briere because there were young players as insulation. Starting the season with the kids on the top two lines with no backups was not the right strategy - piles of pressure, playing against better lines..what if they had struggled and there was no Briere around to replace them? Where would the team be now? Likely 3-7 or something like that.

You enter the season with lots of depth and let the players decide who deserves the ice time. At this point the kids deserve it, and they're getting it. Who knows a couple of months from now - Gally and Chucky may be struggling..and Briere might be a godsend at that point...the season is 82 games long..not ten...it's a marathon not a sprint, and you need depth.

It's not like Bergy had the pick of ten 30-goal scoring UFA's...and they all wanted to play in Montreal..it was a pretty thin crop. Would you have preferred him to sign Clarkson to that ridiculous contract? How do you know there were any other players who would have signed in MTL? Briere was actually a short term move...a bridge between now and two years from now when hopefully Gally, Chucky et al more than replace Ryder's goals.

Besides all that - once again I ask the question -why are we all judging Briere so adamantly after 8 games? He's had bad stretches and slow starts before. He's a proven playoff performer..something we don't have on our team in any great quantity if at all....I'm not willing to write the guy off after a month....I'll judge the move after the season.

Did I like the Briere signing at the time? No - but I'm going to support Briere and the signing now that he's here until at least the end of this season instead of whining incessantly about it and Bergevin from the preseason on.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
The pascal Dupuis comparaisons are correct, both were tagged as 3rd liners with 40 points potential and good penalty killers. Bournival could become a does it all 2nd liner line Dupuis. Obviously he won't be playing with Crosby but still without Crosby Dupuis proved to be a 55-60 points player.

He has more offensive talent than Talbot IMO and really great speed. When i saw him play in the juniors i tought he would be a future 3rd liner. I was happy when the habs grabbed him.

Is there anyone else in junior or ahl that you or anyone else think is another underrated prospect that you think would fit in MB plan? Or someone TT was really high on

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
After tonight's game he's tied for 5th in rookie scoring with Barkov and Mackinnon, 4 points off the leader with 2 less GP and averaging the least amount of ice-time out of anyone in the top-10

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
This kid is awesome. Right now, he's skating well, forechecking relentlessly, creating plays and scoring goals. All that while playing decently in his own zone and playing on the PK.

Hopefully he's able to keep up as the season goes.

hogtownhabsfan*

I've been really high on Bournival since I watched him captain Shawinigan to a Memorial Cup.

He's definitely a 2nd/3rd liner type though, though perhaps an elite 2nd/3rd liner. Great speed, energy, and IQ....

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
This kid is awesome. Right now, he's skating well, forechecking relentlessly, creating plays and scoring goals. All that while playing decently in his own zone and playing on the PK.

Hopefully he's able to keep up as the season goes.

His forechecking and speed are really good, making a lot of turnovers. I also like his vision. I think he might be more than a 3rd liner, but it's only 10 games.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
After tonight's game he's tied for 5th in rookie scoring with Barkov and Mackinnon, 4 points off the leader with 2 less GP and averaging the least amount of ice-time out of anyone in the top-10

Was just looking at the same thing

Unless MT drops him off Pleks line I can see him coming out of nowhere like Gally did last year to challenge for the Calder

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Was just looking at the same thing

Unless MT drops him off Pleks line I can see him coming out of nowhere like Gally did last year to challenge for the Calder

Same, I really hope they leave him with Pleks instead of kicking him off for an offensive black hole like Briere.

With Bournival we're potentially getting another top-6, or at least top-9 forward from our prospect pool which makes 3 in the past 2 years, maybe 4 if Leblanc plays well. Nice to see Bergevin's living up to his promise of building from within!

Aug 25, 2009
éal
what strikes me about this thread it's it's basically filled with the same comments we had on Plekanec in his rookie year in 2006...

hardworker, good ethics, responsible in his own zone, versatile, ''the perfect third liner'', etc. All tags we applied to Tomas at the time.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Failed to ice the best team possible. How many GMs have the ability to ice the best team possible in the salary cap world?? It doesn't sound like you are very clued in to what it's like to be the GM of an NHL team. You don't get to make the one-sided trades suggested on this forum, or sign any free agent you want. You are competing against 29 other teams for players. It's easy to sit on your computer chair and say "He should have done this and that"..but you're not rooted in reality..you have no idea about the inner machinations.

Bergevin needed to replace Ryder - he preferred to do it with a veteran instead of taking the very real risk of hoping a youngster who has never come close to 30 goals yet can replace those goals.

Yes - he did inherit a good young crop from TT - which enabled him to take a flyer on Briere. There are a number of players on the team on ELC's. Are we over the salary cap with Briere? Nope. There is even some wiggle room to make other moves this year...and Briere didn't cost the team any assets.

The club was able to afford the gamble on Briere because there were young players as insulation. Starting the season with the kids on the top two lines with no backups was not the right strategy - piles of pressure, playing against better lines..what if they had struggled and there was no Briere around to replace them? Where would the team be now? Likely 3-7 or something like that.

You enter the season with lots of depth and let the players decide who deserves the ice time. At this point the kids deserve it, and they're getting it. Who knows a couple of months from now - Gally and Chucky may be struggling..and Briere might be a godsend at that point...the season is 82 games long..not ten...it's a marathon not a sprint, and you need depth.

It's not like Bergy had the pick of ten 30-goal scoring UFA's...and they all wanted to play in Montreal..it was a pretty thin crop. Would you have preferred him to sign Clarkson to that ridiculous contract? How do you know there were any other players who would have signed in MTL? Briere was actually a short term move...a bridge between now and two years from now when hopefully Gally, Chucky et al more than replace Ryder's goals.

Besides all that - once again I ask the question -why are we all judging Briere so adamantly after 8 games? He's had bad stretches and slow starts before. He's a proven playoff performer..something we don't have on our team in any great quantity if at all....I'm not willing to write the guy off after a month....I'll judge the move after the season.

Did I like the Briere signing at the time? No - but I'm going to support Briere and the signing now that he's here until at least the end of this season instead of whining incessantly about it and Bergevin from the preseason on.

Thank you for being so level headed. I agree 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad