Michael Bournival, the revelation so far this season!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We have to taper down expectations. We saw Hossa look like his brother when he started. Dagostini also looked good. Let's remember that he is barely 21 and allow him time. With that said, I think he is the real deal because of his speed, determination, hockey sense.
Habs have stockpiled some solid young prospects.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like what I see from him and boy we sure need it, him and Pleks were born to play together and that's just the way it is for some players, they just click. Go Bournival Go!!!!!

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
What impressed me about Bournival is not solely his recent successes with the Plek line, but his intensity in limited minutes in the fourth line, which shows his character and tenacity, unlike some of the overachieving youngsters that have flashes prior.

My only question mark is how he will respond to a big painful hit, since that could make a youngster tentative afterward.

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
I like what I see from him and boy we sure need it, him and Pleks were born to play together and that's just the way it is for some players, they just click. Go Bournival Go!!!!!

It was almost telepathic how Bournival would find Pleky not solely with the goal, but a couple of other plays.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Let's say Bournival keeps his spot alongside Plek and Gio because he keeps playing well, it certainly mixes things up when the injured players all return.

In no particular order,

Plek-Gio-Bournival
Eller-Gally-Galchenyuk
DD-MaxPac-Bourque
Prust-Briere-Moen

White, Parros

That's a pretty strong 4th line. This is all assuming that Bournival keeps the spot, the injured players all return and a guy like DD finds his game a bit.

With everyone healthy, it sure creates a lot of possibilities. Maybe Briere looks good between Patches and Bourque. Maybe DD is sent to Hamilton if he doesn't find his game. Maybe they have a look at Galchenyk at center. One thing - don't put DD and Briere on the same line.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I really like how Bournival is turning out so far. Though, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Everyone remember that really hot start D'Agostini had when he first started? I hope Bournival manages to keep up this pace and improves on it.

I'm glad he's capable of jump starting the Pleks-Gio line. I believe that Bourque's a good player, but maybe his style wasn't meshing as much with those vets as much as Bournival is.

He's been impressive and a great new addition to the team so far. I'll still reserve my judgement on this kid for quite some time though.

It wasn't just D'Agostini, we saw the same thing with Perezhogin, Hossa and a ton of other players. When a young guy first makes it to the NHL he's playing on adrenaline, after a few weeks that wears off and then you see the real player.

What I've noticed is that he uses his speed to put a lot of pressure on the defence and causes them to rush their play. Plekanec and Gionta are cerebral players who can anticipate those rushed plays and suddenly it's a turnover.

PricePkPatch*

So was Ryan O'Byrne

Nevertheless, O'Byrne could have helped our D in a very difficult time.

Can't say, after years have passed, that I am sad at the trade. But I remember being mad to lose 2 Ds right after trading O'Byrne.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Also, you are required to have a goatee to play on the pleks line (ONLY pleks may wear a turtleneck)

and i think bournival is trying hard too, has anyone else noticed that joke(crosby) of a mustache lol?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I remember how excited the fanbase was when D'Agostini scored 4 goals in his first 5 games. Rookies often start hot, I'll wait and see on Bournival.

I would normally agree here but take his points away from him and he's still impressive.

Can't say that much about D'Agostini.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Nevertheless, O'Byrne could have helped our D in a very difficult time.

Can't say, after years have passed, that I am sad at the trade. But I remember being mad to lose 2 Ds right after trading O'Byrne.

At the end of the day a call up from Hamilton would have given us the exact same thing then O'Byrne. Never really saw anything special in him

It may be mean, but I still say the best thing that guy ever did here was come to the defense of his teammate Huet by stealing that chicks purse to get the phone and delete the picture she took

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
It wasn't just D'Agostini, we saw the same thing with Perezhogin, Hossa and a ton of other players. When a young guy first makes it to the NHL he's playing on adrenaline, after a few weeks that wears off and then you see the real player.

What I've noticed is that he uses his speed to put a lot of pressure on the defence and causes them to rush their play. Plekanec and Gionta are cerebral players who can anticipate those rushed plays and suddenly it's a turnover.

It wasn't solely Plek and Gio who were anticipating. Bournival's hockey IQ was noticeable even while playing on the fourth line with limited minutes. Intelligence on the ice isn't driven by adrenaline. I think slotting him in the top 2 lines permanently may be premature, but he solidly looks like at least a hardworking, defensively responsible third line player.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bournival can make a pass and take a pass, two skills some of our wingers are quite lacking in.

His ceiling could be like Andrew Ladd. Productive but not elite,obviously.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Nobody would have said D'Agostini sucked at the start of his NHL career either, though.

suck? no, unidimensional? probably.... all the points Bournival gives is a bonus, speed, relentlesness in the fact that he can be helpful on PK makes him a better commodity than D'AGO !!

Znthnk

Nov 2, 2010
Let's say Bournival keeps his spot alongside Plek and Gio because he keeps playing well, it certainly mixes things up when the injured players all return.

In no particular order,

Plek-Gio-Bournival
Eller-Gally-Galchenyuk
DD-MaxPac-Bourque
Prust-Briere-Moen

White, Parros

That's a pretty strong 4th line. This is all assuming that Bournival keeps the spot, the injured players all return and a guy like DD finds his game a bit.

With everyone healthy, it sure creates a lot of possibilities. Maybe Briere looks good between Patches and Bourque. Maybe DD is sent to Hamilton if he doesn't find his game. Maybe they have a look at Galchenyk at center. One thing - don't put DD and Briere on the same line.

Excellent post. DD and Briere had their best games when apart, even if Briere was on the "fourth line". If Bork and/or DD are lagging, Prust and/or Briere can jump in and play with MaxPac. It gives Therrien lots of options and keeps a healthy internal competition alive.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone think Bournival could somehow turn into a Gallagher-type of steal? By that I mean that he could become a viable top 6 option in the near future?.

There's a lot to like about the way this guy plays. Insane speed, quite possibly the best skater on the team already, doesn't shy away from contact, has hands decent enough to control the puck through traffic, isn't afraid of going in front of the net AND a pretty strong two-way play, especially for a guy his age.

He reminds me of Plekanec, actually.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
To those saying his energy level is caused by the adrenaline of a rookie should read his scouting reports. He's played with a high intensity level at different stages of his career.

Combine that with his hockey sense, both offensively and defensively, and he looks like a guy that'll have a good NHL career. Similar to a Dupuis / Talbot who can play on a checking line or a top line, on the PK or on the PP. The type of player that can do everything a coach asks him to do.

Has a bright future with the Habs.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Does anyone think Bournival could somehow turn into a Gallagher-type of steal? By that I mean that he could become a viable top 6 option in the near future?.

There's a lot to like about the way this guy plays. Insane speed, quite possibly the best skater on the team already, doesn't shy away from contact, has hands decent enough to control the puck through traffic, isn't afraid of going in front of the net AND a pretty strong two-way play, especially for a guy his age.

He reminds me of Plekanec, actually.

I don't know about top 6, I mean not sure he can keep this up 82 games a year + playoffs. He could be a hell of a 3rd liner that can chip in from time to time in the top 6

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a pleasant surprise even he's only played 7 games so far. His pre-season was an eye-opener. Against Anaheim, received 16:15 minutes' worth of ice time, similar to what Galchenyuk has been getting since the beginning of this year. But, it's only one game.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What a pleasant surprise even he's only played 7 games so far. His pre-season was an eye-opener. Against Anaheim, received 16:15 minutes' worth of ice time, similar to what Galchenyuk has been getting since the beginning of this year. But, it's only one game.

It is only 1 game but he didn't look out of place yesterday and he also made a lot of things happen when he was on the ice. It's non stop from him that's is encouraging

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->