Trade: [MIA/PIT] Minkah Fitzpatrick, 2020 4th, and 2021 7th for 2020 1st, 2020 5th, and 2021 6th

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This trade looks terrible for Steelers IMO

They are 0-2 and likely going to be picking top 10 (Maybe top 5)

I don't believe Fitzpatrick is worth giving up this pick
Steelers have a favorable schedule after week 2. Most people expect an 8-8 season. Rudolph outplayed Ben so far this season. I expect this pick to be in the 12-18 range.

This is a great trade for the Steelers. That 1st round pick could be anything, perhaps even someone as good as Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Great deal for the Dolphins. No idea why the 0-2 Steelers would do this now
I think it's a stupid trade by Miami. Minkah must have really forced this trade. They gave up a 22 year old blue chip DB for a pick that may or may not be just as good as Minkah in 2 years. What's the point of rebuilding if your young talent is leaving anyway. They already lost Tunsil and Minkah. Who's next?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Funny thing is Minkah doesn't want to play safety. He wants to be a slot corner.

So uh, the Steelers might have just flipped a first rounder for a slot corner.
He's listed as a FS everywhere. I think he lines up in the slot in certain packages because he's versatile like that. Very useful.

Steelers will use him at FS because Sean Davis is injured.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I think it's a stupid trade by Miami. Minkah must have really forced this trade. They gave up a 22 year old blue chip DB for a pick that may or may not be just as good as Minkah in 2 years. What's the point of rebuilding if your young talent is leaving anyway. They already lost Tunsil and Minkah. Who's next?
Yeah, he pretty much forced it. He has been unhappy with the new coaching staff since day 1 because they have been wanting him to learn 6 different positions. It sucks to lose him & Tunsil, but the bright side is with all these picks, they can rebuild pretty fast as long as the right choices are made.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Steelers fans are excited about this deal. How can anyone think this is bad for Pittsburgh??

It's the unknown with Ben. I think the value fair. But it's possible that this seasons goes off the rails and this is a top 5 pick, which could be their chance to draft Ben's replacement. Also, what is the ceiling for this team this year? I imagine most people feel getting to the playoffs now will be pretty tough. I guess both of those things depend on how good Rudolph can be and maybe the Steelers are pretty confident in him, which is why they are comfortable making the move.

From the outside, I would have thought this kind of deal would make a bit more sense for a team that's a contender this year, like Dal or KC or example.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's the unknown with Ben. I think the value fair. But it's possible that this seasons goes off the rails and this is a top 5 pick, which could be their chance to draft Ben's replacement. Also, what is the ceiling for this team this year? I imagine most people feel getting to the playoffs now will be pretty tough. I guess both of those things depend on how good Rudolph can be and maybe the Steelers are pretty confident in him, which is why they are comfortable making the move.

From the outside, I would have thought this kind of deal would make a bit more sense for a team that's a contender this year, like Dal or KC or example.

I think we can assume the Steelers either a.) really like Rudolph or b.) don’t like the crop of QBs coming out next spring.

Probably a little of both?

Reactions: joestevens29

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Great deal for the Dolphins. No idea why the 0-2 Steelers would do this now
They do it cause they are third in the NFL in recieving yards allowed. They have been beat in the air for their 0-2 start. Fixing that will help the offense, which will not need to put up as many points to win.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think we can assume the Steelers either a.) really like Rudolph or b.) don’t like the crop of QBs coming out next spring.

I think their thinking Roethlisberger will be back next season also is a factor.

IF Rudolph blows and IF Roethlisberger can't come back, then it's rebuild anyway, and they'll look to the 2021 draft for their QB of the future.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They do it cause they are third in the NFL in recieving yards allowed. They have been beat in the air for their 0-2 start. Fixing that will help the offense, which will not need to put up as many points to win.

Yep. With the Roethlisberger news taking center stage, the thing from Sunday a lot of people missed is that the defense, not Rudolph, is why they lost that game in the 2nd half, and the place they got killed was from the slot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Plus they are fixing an issue they currently have that they probably try fix in next year's draft anyway. At least now they will be two years ahead with an actually player rather than a pick.

Feel a lot better that we were able to fill a hole now instead of hoping next year's pick can come and fix things. Might feel a whole lot worse later on if all of a sudden these Qb's are looking like quick fixes in next year's draft, but at least we seem to be getting a sure thing right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Plus they are fixing an issue they currently have that they probably try fix in next year's draft anyway. At least now they will be two years ahead with an actually player rather than a pick.

Feel a lot better that we were able to fill a hole now instead of hoping next year's pick can come and fix things. Might feel a whole lot worse later on if all of a sudden these Qb's are looking like quick fixes in next year's draft, but at least we seem to be getting a sure thing right now.

Ya it’s bizarre.. for the first time in years the Steelers have two corners locking down the outside well. Yet they are still getting burned in between the hashes with relative ease.

I’m still concerned about their schemes, but hopefully this trade helps fix their woes in the middle.

Reactions: joestevens29

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I don't think Pittsburgh will be bad enough to fall in the top 5 range. So I don't exactly hate this trade. But I only see them as a fringe Wild Card team now unless Baltimore just folds. Then it's all hand on deck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Steelers essentially made Minkah Fitzpatrick their first-round pick NEXT season but get to play him right now. And he already proved to be a capable DB in his rookie year. This is a great trade for the Steelers.
He’s a legit player. Would be worth between 8-13 pick in the draft easily.

It’s realy a question of are the Steelers really convinced that either Big Ben returns healthy or Rudolph is the real deal.

They won’t be in the Tua or Herbert race. But Burrows from LSU has looked good and there’s a legit chance that if Eason from UW plays well he’d come out too with a year at Georgia and UW as a starter.

So bypassing on a chance at a QB this draft is interesting before they see what they truly have to work with going forward.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It’s realy a question of are the Steelers really convinced that either Big Ben returns healthy or Rudolph is the real deal.

They won’t be in the Tua or Herbert race. But Burrows from LSU has looked good and there’s a legit chance that if Eason from UW plays well he’d come out too with a year at Georgia and UW as a starter.

So bypassing on a chance at a QB this draft is interesting before they see what they truly have to work with going forward.

Steelers are just an org that is adamantly against tanking. They don’t believe in rebuilds and have never actually torn it all down like that... they rebuild on the fly and keep expectations high.

That’s obviously good and bad, but that kind of attitude I feel deserves to be rewarded. However, things don’t always work out that way. It’s definitely risky, but no one can ever call them quitters.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Steelers essentially made Minkah Fitzpatrick their first-round pick NEXT season but get to play him right now. And he already proved to be a capable DB in his rookie year. This is a great trade for the Steelers.

Major caveat being this ‘could’ be a top five selection which you would either use on a QB or trade for a king’s ransom to a team that wants one.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Steelers are just an org that is adamantly against tanking. They don’t believe in rebuilds and have never actually torn it all down like that... they rebuild on the fly and keep expectations high.

That’s obviously good and bad, but that kind of attitude I feel deserves to be rewarded. However, things don’t always work out that way. It’s definitely risky, but no one can ever call them quitters.
See this locally with the A's and Sharks. They're never bad for more than a short time, which makes the games always meaningful.

Now if they could just get a damn 'ship between one of 'em.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

Last time the Steelers had a losing record was 2003 (which is crazy to think about). They went 6-10, got the 11th OA pick and drafted Big Ben.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

Big Ben said he will return, and the team is high on Rudolph.

Either way, I don't envision them finishing worse than 6-10. Which puts Miami in the 10-12 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad