Trade: [MIA/PIT] Minkah Fitzpatrick, 2020 4th, and 2021 7th for 2020 1st, 2020 5th, and 2021 6th

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Steelers usually don’t even make trades like this. When they do, it’s on the same day they lose their hall of fame QB. Strange times.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I mean, he is a very recent first round pick, but that is probably going to be an amazing pick. Dolphins could have 2 top 5 picks, and have the Texans pick as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They either love Rudolph or think their better shot for a QB is the 2021 draft.
Frankly it feels like they’ve been waiting for Ben to get hurt so they could move on from him, but they also weren’t going to throw him under the bus

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This trade looks terrible for Steelers IMO

They are 0-2 and likely going to be picking top 10 (Maybe top 5)

I don't believe Fitzpatrick is worth giving up this pick

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I was about to come in here and rant about how garbage the organization is but...that's actually stupidly good value for a 2nd year player.

Tunsil could have been a building block which is why i was angry about that deal. Fitzpatrick is a guy you can live with parting with since while safety is important, i feel like it's a lot easier to replace than a franchise tackle.

I can live with this, but that defense is about to get worse

Reactions: PanthersPens62

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This trade looks terrible for Steelers IMO

They are 0-2 and likely going to be picking top 10 (Maybe top 5)

I don't believe Fitzpatrick is worth giving up this pick
Let’s take a step back on where the Steelers finish.

Jets are in bad shape with Darnold. Miami is terrible. Bengals in their own division. No idea what the Jags end up without Foles and the whole Ramsey situation. Broncos O have issues.

See how AZ hangs in there. Giants are bad. Washington likely inserts Haskins at some point this season.

Bottom 5 is unlikely. Legitimately see between 8-12 overall for the pick.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Funny thing is Minkah doesn't want to play safety. He wants to be a slot corner.

So uh, the Steelers might have just flipped a first rounder for a slot corner.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Steelers GM has big ones to do this with Mason Rudolph at QB (assuming pick is unprotected which it almost surely is).

Here's what I think their thinking is . . .

Fitzpatrick has this year, then next two, and then an option on his rookie deal. He was the #11 overall and is every bit as good as expected. If the 2018 draft were redone, he's likely top 10.

Now, what's the worst case scenario for the Steelers this season? I think they think it's 5-11 or 6-10.

Home and home with Bengals, Browns, Ravens. Other 8 games against Dolphins, Bills, Jets, Rams, 49ers, Cardinals, Colts, Chargers.

Are there 5 or 6 wins there?

If there are, then you're looking at having moved a 6-10 overall pick for Fitzpatrick. A wash.

If they can do more, then it's a steal. If they do less, then that's when you have regrets.

I suspect in the end they figured that 5-11 or 6-10 was the worst case scenario and that better than that imagined worst case scenario was more likely than worse.

Funny thing is Minkah doesn't want to play safety. He wants to be a slot corner.

The Steelers have been getting eaten alive by slot receivers and tight ends. I'm sure they'll be happy to play him there a lot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Most slot receivers are the smaller quicker guys. I’m not sure a DC would like that kind of matchup. Against a Fitzgerald who plays slot it makes sense. Against skilled TE is also makes sense.

Is this a financial thing because corners get paid more than safeties if he ever gets tagged?

Reactions: KIRK

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Great trade by the Dolphins. They now have 9 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next two seasons and have over $100 million of cap space this off-season. They're going to be really bad this season, but that's going to turn around quickly if they do things right.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I really like Minkah.
He’s only 22 and he could be an anchor on any teams defense for the next decade.

Unless the pick is top 5, seems alright for both teams. Good chance it’s a top 10 pick so even then I’d give the edge to Miami, but Minkah is young and is a high ceiling DB so it’s not like Pittsburgh got nothing

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Drats...the Chiefs were in hard on Minkah and he would have been a good get but our first wasn’t going to be nearly high enough to seal the deal once a team like Pittsburgh threw its hat in the ring.

I do think Rudolph is going to be a good NFL starter for the Steelers.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Reports are that Conner's knee injury isn't serious, but if it turns out to be worse than first thought; yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->