Trade: [MIA/PHI] Eagles trade 6th pick & 156th pick to Dolphins for 12th pick, 123rd pick & 2022 1st

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Miami moving back up almost assuredly to get Sewell, I imagine. I doubt they would move up that far just to get a WR. There are 3 really good ones and it's hard to see they would move up that far just to get the one that they want. I think they have a singular focus here and it's Sewell.

Probably Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

If they can't get Sewell, then I don't like this trade for Miami. If you want a WR, you don't have to move up this far. You still might be able to get one of the three at 12, and you could even grab one of the second tier WRs at 18. With Parker and Fuller at WR, and Gesicki at TE, they didn't need a dominant #1 WR.

They do need help at the skill position. Sewell was not going to be the pick, evident by the trades.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think chase for sure will be off the board

I believe 3, maybe 4, of the first 5 picks will be QBs, and I think Sewell goes to Cincy. So Chase could realistically be there. So Miami gains a 1st and a 3rd to move down 3 picks, still get their man, at about $2 million per less. Great trade m

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Probably Pitts, Chase, or Smith.

They do need help at the skill position. Sewell was not going to be the pick, evident by the trades.

They could have still gotten a skill position player at 12, or really anywhere from 8-12, perhaps without giving up another 1st round pick in the process.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
They could have still gotten a skill position player at 12, or really anywhere from 8-12, perhaps without giving up another 1st round pick in the process.

I can’t see how this isn’t a complete fleece for them. They weren’t going Sewell, and they get the player they wanted at 6, at a cheaper cap price, along with a 1st and a 3rd.

I think if they stay at 12, they lose Pitts and Chase for sure, and probably one of Smith or Waddle.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I can’t see how this isn’t a complete fleece for them. They weren’t going Sewell, and they get the player they wanted at 6, at a cheaper cap price, along with a 1st and a 3rd.

I think if they stay at 12, they lose Pitts and Chase for sure, and probably one of Smith or Waddle.

If they were reasonably sure they wouldn't be in on Sewell at #6, they should have just waited a bit longer to extract a 2022 first from either Detroit or Carolina, who are #7 and #8 in the draft. Odds are high that either one of those 2022 firsts are going to be higher than San Fran's and they still get an elite skill player at 7 or 8.

Reactions: BSHH

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Miami might want to offer the Bengals a pick just to move down one spot. I agree that the Bengals are now looking pretty hard at Sewell as well and maybe they can be bribed with a pick to take Pitts instead.

The thing is, if Miami was REALLY targeting Sewell, they would have traded up to 4 or 5 to erase all doubt that he'd be taken. The fact that they jumped the Lions makes me think they're targeting a receiver and with the Tua connection, I wouldn't rule out Smith or Waddle being that guy.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The thing is, if Miami was REALLY targeting Sewell, they would have traded up to 4 or 5 to erase all doubt that he'd be taken. The fact that they jumped the Lions makes me think they're targeting a receiver and with the Tua connection, I wouldn't rule out Smith or Waddle being that guy.

It's possible that Cincinnati didn't want to move down from 5 all the way to 12, so Miami did what they could do now to move up to 6, then they can work on moving up to 4 or 5 between now and the draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve always subscribed that the Dolphins should be going for the Alabama receivers anyways. High talent that already has a rapport with Tagovailoa and will get to work with all summer.

Reactions: Voight

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’ve always subscribed that the Dolphins should be going for the Alabama receivers anyways. High talent that already has a rapport with Tagovailoa and will get to work with all summer.

It's easy to make the connection tbh. Trading up to a spot jumping the team that has arguably the biggest need for a top end receiver in the entire league and the Tua connection.
I'd be perfectly fine taking Smith or Waddle at 7 but Chase is just a slight level higher than those guys IMO so maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part hoping for Chase to drop to the Lions, or Sewell, but I could definitely see one of the Alabama guys being the target for Miami or maybe the biggest wildcard in this draft Pitts who is a tight end by title only.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If they were reasonably sure they wouldn't be in on Sewell at #6, they should have just waited a bit longer to extract a 2022 first from either Detroit or Carolina, who are #7 and #8 in the draft. Odds are high that either one of those 2022 firsts are going to be higher than San Fran's and they still get an elite skill player at 7 or 8.

If SF stays with Jimmy G, then yes, the deal would have been better with Carolina or Detroit, but if they go with a rookie QB, they could come in last in that division.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If SF stays with Jimmy G, then yes, the deal would have been better with Carolina or Detroit, but if they go with a rookie QB, they could come in last in that division.

I think they'll stick with Jimmy G for next season. They still have a playoff-calibre team and they need Jimmy G to at least provide them with some stability. It would be foolish to go into next season with a rookie QB and some other vet as your QB depth.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The craziest thing about all of this...all of this cost the Dolphins Tunsil lmao
Just goes to show that the NFL has the biggest flucuation from season to season. Houston was a playoff team when they acquired tunsil.

For Philly, they have multiple needs so they just take the best player at #12 now. SF doesn't make this move unless they want a QB at #3. I would imagine that SF spoke with the Jets as well, so would lead me to think that the Jets are taking Wilson. Unlikely to get a better offer than the SF deal with Miami.

Remember the deal between NYJ and Indy for the Darnold/Nelson picks. Indy got 3 extra 2nd round draft picks for moving down 3 spots. Vs an extra 1st and 3rd that Miami got in the end.

Jets have a lot of needs, so dropping back this season, would have left them with 3 first round picks in 2022 and 2 first in 2023.

SF plays in a tough division with the Rams, Hawks, and Cardinals. So, we've seen Jimmy get hurt and the 49ers plummet in 2 out of his 3 seasons as the starter.

Getting that extra 1st in 2022 would give Philly the ammo needed to trade up for a QB if Hurts doesn't show well this season.

For Miami, they must have decided now that they won't take a QB at the top of the draft and thus made sense to drop back to get a position player. Net gain of a 1st in 2023 and a 3rd in 2022 for the move.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's easy to make the connection tbh. Trading up to a spot jumping the team that has arguably the biggest need for a top end receiver in the entire league and the Tua connection.
I'd be perfectly fine taking Smith or Waddle at 7 but Chase is just a slight level higher than those guys IMO so maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part hoping for Chase to drop to the Lions, or Sewell, but I could definitely see one of the Alabama guys being the target for Miami or maybe the biggest wildcard in this draft Pitts who is a tight end by title only.
Not playing for a year for Chase also bothers me, and I think the Dolphins know they can get whoever they were going to draft at 3OV with 6OV. Smith at 3 would’ve been totally reasonable. Not sure Waddle would but you could make that case.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think its a foregone conclusion Cincy takes Sewell. They just took Jonah Williams 2 years ago and signed Riley Reiff. Could just as easily see them going Pitts/Chase.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think its a foregone conclusion Cincy takes Sewell. They just took Jonah Williams 2 years ago and signed Riley Reiff. Could just as easily see them going Pitts/Chase.

The one i've seen thrown around is Chase for Cincy. Already has the connection with Burrow, with Burrow himself apparently lobbying the Bengals to draft him.

Honestly Cincy is so starved of talent across the board taking him or Sewell are both good moves and they can't really go wrong with either.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

It would be a mistake for Cincy to not take Sewell at #5. Reiff is 32 and signed for only a year, so he should not be part of their future.

With Burrows, Sewell and Williams, that's essentially the backbone of their offense for the next 10 years. Plus, it's not like they're lacking in young receivers. They have Boyd and Higgins. Sewell just makes the most sense for them at #5. They can figure out TE/WR later, but a potential All-Pro LT is a more essential part of an offense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The one i've seen thrown around is Chase for Cincy. Already has the connection with Burrow, with Burrow himself apparently lobbying the Bengals to draft him.

Honestly Cincy is so starved of talent across the board taking him or Sewell are both good moves and they can't really go wrong with either.
WR only helps a QB when the OL holds up. Better to secure the lines then add talent at the skilled positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->