MHL General Discussion - Part III

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
yup three MHL-level elite teams. However, I am hoping you are not counting GMHL as this is a commercial product with low class players.

The league I am referring to is Midget AAA/GTHL which is the leagues that guys like Leo Lazarev, Miromanov, Vertiy, Korostelev, Maximov and a highly rated up and comer Kirill Nizhnikov have joined to gain citizenship and avoid CHL import rules. Apparently one agent alone to play in the GTHL/Midget AAA -Brosilovsky has already brought over more than 30 players from Russia.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Metallurg Novokuznetsk assigns goaltenders Ivan Starostin and Yegor Yestafyev, defenders Nikita Lyamkin, Kirill Shchukin and Timur Fatkullin, forwards Kirill Kaprizov and Dmitry Starchenko to the MHL. Medvedi basically got half of the main team roster.
Well, that worked. Medvedi won 2 games and guaranteed them a playoff spot, the KHL players combining for 10 points (including Kaprizov's 4+1 today).

Meanwhile, Dynamo-Raubichi, who are on their way for the most glorious anti-record in sports history, earned the 2nd point of the season :handclap:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The league I am referring to is Midget AAA/GTHL which is the leagues that guys like Leo Lazarev, Miromanov, Vertiy, Korostelev, Maximov and a highly rated up and comer Kirill Nizhnikov have joined to gain citizenship and avoid CHL import rules. Apparently one agent alone to play in the GTHL/Midget AAA -Brosilovsky has already brought over more than 30 players from Russia.

For people who genuinely appreciate what a beautiful art form Russian hockey once was, what a sad and sorry development this is! On its present course, there will be no such thing as Russian hockey to celebrate any more. Just kids who, shortly after having celebrated the biological event of their birth, pack up their baby carriages and fly to NA to properly learn the Canadian game.

The one bright spot, in my view, is that it does relieve Russian hockey clubs of the expense of developing skills and talents, only to wave goodbye to these future superstars as they fly off to Canada! There is no hockey league, the MHL or any other, that can survive relinquishing ALL of its top players to another continent. It will be a league built on second- or third-rate talent, which will eventually collapse. What a pity!

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
For people who genuinely appreciate what a beautiful art form Russian hockey once was, what a sad and sorry development this is! On its present course, there will be no such thing as Russian hockey to celebrate any more. Just kids who, shortly after having celebrated the biological event of their birth, pack up their baby carriages and fly to NA to properly learn the Canadian game.

The one bright spot, in my view, is that it does relieve Russian hockey clubs of the expense of developing skills and talents, only to wave goodbye to these future superstars as they fly off to Canada! There is no hockey league, the MHL or any other, that can survive relinquishing ALL of its top players to another continent. It will be a league built on second- or third-rate talent, which will eventually collapse. What a pity!

I agree with your disappointment but I would not get too pessimistic just yet. Considering all of the vacated players, the MHL is still a respectable junior league which will continue to grow top level players. Think of it as an opportunity for a young player to step up for every guy that leaves to NA. The top MHL teams have more young talent than ice time, it will just open the door for someone who would otherwise get buried on a lower line. Also, I'd say half of the top guys would rather play in the KHL before they go to the NHL (as Panarin said in his interview), so it may not be so bad after all. Then there will be your Tkachevs of the world, who did not like it in the CHL and come back young enough to continue to develop (IMO one day he will go to the NHL).

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't know, I think the MHL is building quite a track record for itself in many ways. All the "new" Russian NHL stars, just like the absolute majority of young KHL stars, came through the MHL system, if guy like Svechnikov and Khovanov stay in the M and develop well (which is basically a given since I can't remember MHL to ruin any player's growth), it will be a major success for the system and will show yet another example of why should Russian players stay home. Agents or not, parents should see what's really best for their child. Not even to mention that a player of an elite talent can easily get his first minutes on the KHL team at 16-17, recieveing professional experience and earning prefessional money at the age his comparables across the Atlantic are adapting to the CHL.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I don't know, I think the MHL is building quite a track record for itself in many ways. All the "new" Russian NHL stars, just like the absolute majority of young KHL stars, came through the MHL system, if guy like Svechnikov and Khovanov stay in the M and develop well (which is basically a given since I can't remember MHL to ruin any player's growth), it will be a major success for the system and will show yet another example of why should Russian players stay home. Agents or not, parents should see what's really best for their child. Not even to mention that a player of an elite talent can easily get his first minutes on the KHL team at 16-17, recieveing professional experience and earning prefessional money at the age his comparables across the Atlantic are adapting to the CHL.

Very well said, i completely agree. There are few obvious cases where this path has been shown as a successful one and there will be more examples in the future. Parents and kids will/should note that. That will solidify the MHL.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I fully agree with everything you say, but at the same time, I fully expect to read a post in the near future announcing that Svechnikov and Khovanov are headed to the CHL as soon as they are selected in their import draft.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Reinforced CSKA yesterday destroyed U18 national team. Judging by the protocol, it was largely down to inability to win faceoffs, where CSKA youth was just dominant. Potentially a weakness in upcoming World champs for Russia? #SampleSize

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Is/are there any source(s) where I can find the latest information about MHL clubs? Injured or suspended players, what's going on with the team, etc... Just any kind of news. My guess is that there is no particular website to cover MHL as it's only a youth league yet any kind of source would be OK.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Just wondering why Shvyrov wasn't called up to the U18 team during the year, even though he was one of the best 98s in the MHL? Why was he not included on the U18 team for the IIHF tournament, is it possible that he was also using melodonium or was there some other reason?

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Meldonium isn't even proven to provide any kind of performance enhancement or athletic advantage, so dumb.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Acadie-Bathurst Titan from the Q has amassed 5 Russian guys into their lineup for this year. Also several Russian goalies will dress in the Q this year. Agents having their way with the import rules.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Acadie-Bathurst Titan from the Q has amassed 5 Russian guys into their lineup for this year. Also several Russian goalies will dress in the Q this year. Agents having their way with the import rules.
I get your point, but... they didn't? I see Vladimir Kuznetsov, Daniil Sokolka and Daniil Miromanov. Kuznetsov participated in the U18s this year (also was in the MHL as a 16 year old), the other 2 don't look very promising.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I get your point, but... they didn't? I see Vladimir Kuznetsov, Daniil Sokolka and Daniil Miromanov. Kuznetsov participated in the U18s this year (also was in the MHL as a 16 year old), the other 2 don't look very promising.

This is not accurate. They have used all 3 of those guys in addition to Igor Galygin and Danil Timchenko in the preseason. Whether they keep all 5 for the regular season is another story but all 5 are eligible to be on the roster at the same time since Timchenko, Miromanov and Sokolka do not count against the import rules. Theoretically Egor Popov could also play for them (played there the past 2 seasons) as he also does not count towards the import rule and Im not sure where he is playing this season yet? Not aware of him returning to Russia, I would presume he stays in the Q. So possibly a team in the Q with 6 Russians at once this season.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Watching Kazakh derby in MHL and, oh boy, how MHL is pooping on Ustinka youth... :( Altay could actually be worse than Belarus u18 team last year.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
This is not a question directly relating to MHL but... What about Mozyakin's son? When reading IIHF's article about his recent goal-scoring record, I saw this part,

While some spoke of goal targets, Gennadi Velichkin, Metallurg’s vice-president, suggested a different dream for the Mozyakin family.

“I know that Sergei has one more dream – to play on the same team as his son, Andrei,” he told khl.ru. “Right now the boy is 15 years old, and we all hope that this dream can come true.”

My search in Latin letters for Andrei (or Andrey) Mozyakin yielded no results. As Sergey wants to play with his son, the dude is obviously an ice hockey player already. Anyone knows where he's playing or how he's doing? I checked the roster of Stalnye Lisy but he's not there. Is he too young for a MHL team or what?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This is not a question directly relating to MHL but... What about Mozyakin's son? When reading IIHF's article about his recent goal-scoring record, I saw this part,

My search in Latin letters for Andrei (or Andrey) Mozyakin yielded no results. As Sergey wants to play with his son, the dude is obviously an ice hockey player already. Anyone knows where he's playing or how he's doing? I checked the roster of Stalnye Lisy but he's not there. Is he too young for a MHL team or what?

Here you go. Probably not good enough to make KHL on his own merits.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Altay got their first point and in general managed to keep games against Barys youth close at home so I think it's safe to say they aren't going to be as bad as Belarus U-18.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Altay got their first point and in general managed to keep games against Barys youth close at home so I think it's safe to say they aren't going to be as bad as Belarus U-18.

Yep, they have added another three players including one overage foreigner to their roster since the first games. Still they are probably the worst team in the league by solid margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad