MHL General Discussion - Part III

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I take it you didn't watch the Worlds? Canada played in such a way that I've never seen them play before, displaying the best traits of Canadian hockey: skating, passing and scoring. When it comes to pure entertainment, they were miles more fun to watch than the Olympic team. They came to enjoy playing hockey, where as the Olympic team looked to be more afraid of losing.

Yeah, so parts of it & yes, they did appear loose, like they were having fun. Id like to see that consistently. We dont.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I take it you didn't watch the Worlds? Canada played in such a way that I've never seen them play before, displaying the best traits of Canadian hockey: skating, passing and scoring. When it comes to pure entertainment, they were miles more fun to watch than the Olympic team. They came to enjoy playing hockey, where as the Olympic team looked to be more afraid of losing.

They brought Crosby, Seguin, Spezza and a lot of other guys like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Ennis and others who aren't that effective in the NHL because of the factors that Killion spelled out, but do much better on the big ice where they aren't in as much danger of being crushed in a phone booth! Crosby's presence alone is such a huge psychological monument that a lot of other guys probably played better than they are normally capable of.

Of course, the other big factor is that they had no competition or opposition, which made everything look much easier than it should have. Their forwards matched against that Russian defense crew in the Gold Medal game was a total mismatch, which probably gave the impression that Canada was better than they really were.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They brought Crosby, Seguin, Spezza and a lot of other guys like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Ennis and others who aren't that effective in the NHL because of the factors that Killion spelled out, but do much better on the big ice where they aren't in as much danger of being crushed in a phone booth! Crosby's presence alone is such a huge psychological monument that a lot of other guys probably played better than they are normally capable of.

Of course, the other big factor is that they had no competition or opposition, which made everything look much easier than it should have. Their forwards matched against that Russian defense crew in the Gold Medal game was a total mismatch, which probably gave the impression that Canada was better than they really were.

The Oilers and Sabres guys actually have a good excuse for not playing similarly in the NHL and it has nothing to do with the league or the rink but the state of the clubs they are in. At least the Oilers seem to be finally making right moves and getting those young guys a good coach and that know how to coach modern hockey. That most certainly hasn't been the case in Edmonton nor in Buffalo.

While Russia certainly had their weaknesses, their biggest weakness was standing behind the players, as I suggested in the final GDT. Znaroks lucked out last year but when faced with proper competition and a better coach, his true coaching abilities were exposed.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Oilers and Sabres guys actually have a good excuse for not playing similarly in the NHL and it has nothing to do with the league or the rink but the state of the clubs they are in. At least the Oilers seem to be finally making right moves and getting those young guys a good coach and that know how to coach modern hockey. That most certainly hasn't been the case in Edmonton nor in Buffalo.

While Russia certainly had their weaknesses, their biggest weakness was standing behind the players, as I suggested in the final GDT. Znaroks lucked out last year but when faced with proper competition and a better coach, his true coaching abilities were exposed.

All these guys from the Sabres and Oilers were highly touted draft choices, and some of them, like Hall and MacKinnon, are expected to be the future of Canadian hockey.

Znarok (he played and coached in Latvia, but he's Russian) failed to distinguish himself for sure, but Russia had a much better team last year than this year. The forwards were better, and the defense was much better. Many of their best KHL players suddenly became unavailable because of injury before the tournament, and the presence of Malkin and Tarasenko wasn't even close to being enough to compensate, which is why they lost 3 games and really didn't play a good game the entire tournament. When there is a mismatch between your defense and the opposing forwards, as against Canada, you have to have a big performance from your goalie, and Russia didn't get one. Bobrovsky was a weakness against Canada, and I thought he took Russia out of the game early in the 2nd period. Znarok certainly failed to produce any effective strategies to overcome the team's inherent weaknesses, so I am sure the search for a coach will continue.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
All these guys from the Sabres and Oilers were highly touted draft choices, and some of them, like Hall and MacKinnon, are expected to be the future of Canadian hockey.

Yes but none of the listed (except maybe MacKinnon) have played under a really good coach so far in the NHL.

Last edited:

loppa*

good. i remember some posters here moaning about the mhl killing their youth hockey. i'm glad it all turned up good. the khl is the next.

I don't remember anyone complaining about MHL hockey.

As for KHL - I don't see the league getting rid of its non-Russian teams anytime soon, if ever.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
19 Russian selected in CHL import draft, including some that were already playing that's about 20+ players....our hockey is getting sucked dry :(

but I am sure an idiotic u-18 MHL team and no spots on NT for players in NA are having the desired outcome, yep...

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
19 Russian selected in CHL import draft, including some that were already playing that's about 20+ players....our hockey is getting sucked dry :(

but I am sure an idiotic u-18 MHL team and no spots on NT for players in NA are having the desired outcome, yep...

I'm not sure how the existence of an U18 team had much to do with their decisions to go overseas. I think it had more to do with dreams of glory and fortune than being a protest vote against the creation of an U18 team.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You completely misunderstood what I am trying to say

I think I must have completely misunderstood you, but at any rate, I think we all understand that nothing is going to stop the mad rush to NA/CHL. Even if they do establish an U18 team in the MHL, nearly all of the players on that team would use it as a springboard to get ahead of their MHL counterparts and get to NA faster. Appearing in the World U18 tournament would increase their visibility to CHL scouts. So, yes it will only accelerate the unstoppable migration of any decent Russian hockey player to NA!

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I think I must have completely misunderstood you, but at any rate, I think we all understand that nothing is going to stop the mad rush to NA/CHL. Even if they do establish an U18 team in the MHL, nearly all of the players on that team would use it as a springboard to get ahead of their MHL counterparts and get to NA faster. Appearing in the World U18 tournament would increase their visibility to CHL scouts. So, yes it will only accelerate the unstoppable migration of any decent Russian hockey player to NA!

It's impossible to do anything to mitigate it, I'd say. If Russia was economically stronger and could really make a rival league to NHL, not something that relies on gas money then perhaps. With ice arenas like in NHL and ticket prices, merch and league as a business.
Otherwise you have exodus both from KHL and MHL this year. Because you never know, Russia's biggest problem with anything is unpredictability. At least if you fight wars, covert or not, fight them far away {Mod}... But this Ukranian thing shook the whole region, sanctions and oil price and rouble and need to answer to the sanctions. I am sure some might have left just because one day some Putin's friends in hockey could decide that a good way to fight one polar world could be to ban hockey players from NHL, so that truly patriotic league could be built where to prosper... That and, I assume there are less of gas/oil money now flowing to hockey, at least a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Anyone knownwhy u18 only rolled out 3 lines?
http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...t-juniorke-v-podgotovke-k-sorevnovanijam.html
... That and, I assume there are less of gas/oil money now flowing to hockey, at least a bit.
that'll be beneficial to the khl.
edit:
svechnikov and khovanov should get an exceptional status or something and play in the mhl. 16 points for two in 2 games playing in the 2000 age group. what a waste.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Didn't know where else to post - 3 former MHL players: Nikolishin, Lazarev and Sokolov record hat-tricks in the CHL yesterday and Svechnikov with a hat-trick today. A rare phenomena.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hi guys. Can anyone give me the skinny on MHL St. Petersberg Vasili Glotov. This kid is #2 in scoring in the MHL, appears eligible for the 2016 draft and hasnt been selected to Team Russia U18.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hi guys. Can anyone give me the skinny on MHL St. Petersberg Vasili Glotov. This kid is #2 in scoring in the MHL, appears eligible for the 2016 draft and hasnt been selected to Team Russia U18.

I'm sure guys who watch Serebryaniye Lvy regularly will give you more insight. FWIW, a great skater with good hands and very good vision, works hard always engaged in a game. Small, weak and skinny (listed 5'10, 155 lbs on the KHL site). Says that his coaches train him a lot to improve at defense, just like with all centers. Has a GOTY and a GOAT SO goal.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I'm sure guys who watch Serebryaniye Lvy regularly will give you more insight. FWIW, a great skater with good hands and very good vision, works hard always engaged in a game. Small, weak and skinny (listed 5'10, 155 lbs on the KHL site). Says that his coaches train him a lot to improve at defense, just like with all centers. Has a GOTY and a GOAT SO goal.
Appreciated. Hes paired with a 20y/o Andrei Feklistov whos leading the MHL in scoring this year but Glotov is #2. Maybe his size kept him off of the National junior team but maybe he should get more consideration going forward unless he gets drafted and makes the jump across the pond.

Elite lists him at 5'11 but with respect to North America skaters, they can be measured or listed with skates which would add 3 inches to the listed height.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Metallurg Novokuznetsk assigns goaltenders Ivan Starostin and Yegor Yestafyev, defenders Nikita Lyamkin, Kirill Shchukin and Timur Fatkullin, forwards Kirill Kaprizov and Dmitry Starchenko to the MHL. Medvedi basically got half of the main team roster :laugh:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

I counted 53 players from MHL participating countries in the CHL this year, 18 in the NAHL 13 in the USHL 5 in NCAA and many other 16/17 year olds playing in the Canadian and American junior prep school leagues. Therefore there is easily more than 100 players missing from the MHL, and most of these guys are presumably top level players since you normally need to be one of the top players on the team to hold an import spot.

If all of these guys stayed, think of what the MHL could be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->