Mexico Elite Hockey League

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
This sounds like a good idea! Growing the sport in Mexico would be a good idea. Having more fans could maybe encourage the NHL to broadcast more games on a national sports channel (like ESPN again). Also after the Mexican league gets established it would be cool to have a North American Cup tournament with teams from Canada, the US, and Mexico!

also, I can't find any more info on the internet on this, does anyone have further links or info on this league?

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
I can't see many Mexican's wanting to play or watch hockey. And I happen to know quite a few of them.

This will be a waste of time and NRG..

you could say the same exact thing about most white people under the 49th parallel. if it wasnt for a National Hockey Welfare System, most of the teams would be in the gutter.

growing the game depends on getting kids cheap ice time. not just selling the circus.

pedrochapala

Aug 10, 2008
chapala,jalisco,mexi
mi mexican amigos that come to mi casa are absolutely facinated when they see my equipment and pics. a lot of them know more about the game than some of you think.
a peewee or bantam[?] team from guadalajara has made the annual treck to quebec city for a number of years. forget cheap ice-this is not a poor kids game here or even middle class. it's for rich kids only. think of the cost of equipment too.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I can see Mexicans liking the game, but I think it has a snowballs chance in hell of ever competing with football, or baseball in that country. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I agree with you on a first stance ... but with time it has more potential in my view. More things go on in hockey ... while "cold" countries play it for obvious reasons ... public wise i believe that "warm" country poeple are more likely to like it because of the nature of the game. namely spectacular, action, violent !

(i am half swiss half mexican and live in Switzerland ... Switzerland is a country made of 3 distinct populations separated by natural barriers ... Germans (swiss germans), Frenchs (swiss frenchs) and italians (swiss italians). Swiss italians represent around 1/20 of the population. In the swiss national Ice hockey league, swiss italians represent 2/12 ... and playing in these places is never easy because fans are very loudy and strongly behind their team. Trust me ... latins love hockey !!

Hence i see a funy future in the short term, and gaining popularity over years. But put a club with money in Mexico DF... i foresee good business and huge success.

Now to have a decent level in the mexican national team may take "a bit" longer.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
you could say the same exact thing about most white people under the 49th parallel. if it wasnt for a National Hockey Welfare System, most of the teams would be in the gutter.

growing the game depends on getting kids cheap ice time. not just selling the circus.

You got it. I would say the same thing about any people living in the Southern states. I've taken flack over my comments, but realistically it's an ice sport that is expensive to run, expensive to play and Mexicans never grew up with it. It would be hard to find owners, that's for sure. My best friend growing up is half Mexican and she lives there now. Her dad owns an international packaging company and he is one of the only Mexicans I know that follows hockey (due to spending lots of time in Manitoba). He doesnt seem to think hockey will work down there, i believe him.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net

As compared too what? Basketball! Where you can run up and down a concrete slab with a metal rim at both ends? How much does it cost for inner city kids to play Basketball at their local slab?

I guess I don't understand your NHWS? Is that suppose to mean that the NHL is a welfare system that allows Canadien players a place to play outside of their country?

Please elaborate

Head coach

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
You got it. I would say the same thing about any people living in the Southern states. I've taken flack over my comments, but realistically it's an ice sport that is expensive to run, expensive to play and Mexicans never grew up with it. It would be hard to find owners, that's for sure. My best friend growing up is half Mexican and she lives there now. Her dad owns an international packaging company and he is one of the only Mexicans I know that follows hockey (due to spending lots of time in Manitoba). He doesnt seem to think hockey will work down there, i believe him.

Well, I guess you have your head in the sand! For you to think that it will not take hold is.....a joke!

That's like saying it will not take hold of anywhere except the place that you live. It's kind of short sided thinking....don't you think?

Here's an example. Currently they have about 6 sheets of ice in Mexico City alone and another is being built. When I was there in 1993, we built a program from 90 kids to over 900 kids in under two years.

How, if you really want to see where hockey is going. Check out this site and you will see that they actually play hockey in Dubai. Yes, that's in the Desert!
http://forums.internationalhockey.net/

Maybe your "friend" doesn't know that they have a large youth group of hockey players in Mexico City. Maybe instead of him sitting back and watching, he might be able to participate and get in the game. If not playing, how about helping the growth instead of slamming things he doen't know any thing about.

Head coach

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Well, I guess you have your head in the sand! For you to think that it will not take hold is.....a joke!

That's like saying it will not take hold of anywhere except the place that you live. It's kind of short sided thinking....don't you think?

Here's an example. Currently they have about 6 sheets of ice in Mexico City alone and another is being built. When I was there in 1993, we built a program from 90 kids to over 900 kids in under two years.

How, if you really want to see where hockey is going. Check out this site and you will see that they actually play hockey in Dubai. Yes, that's in the Desert!

Maybe your "friend" doesn't know that they have a large youth group of hockey players in Mexico City. Maybe instead of him sitting back and watching, he might be able to participate and get in the game. If not playing, how about helping the growth instead of slamming things he doen't know any thing about.

Head coach

Funny you mention Dubai. When I was living on campus at York U in Toronto I met some hockey players from Dubai that were here to play exhibitions. They loaded up on sticks and equipment at the pro shop at Icesports. One thing that differs between Dubai and Mexico is cold cash. I'm sure a ritzy part of Mexico could easily ice a team. But is this what Mexico needs? Is the "if you build it they will come" mentality always right?

Hockey in Mexico is totally questionable and not just for obvious reasons such as "I'm Canadian and I want hockey to myself, so take off eh" or "you can't play hockey in the warm." Those obviously have no impact on my opinion. My opinion is more based on economics like demand, sociological value in terms of worth to communities (novelty for the upper upper class?), and interest from investors. Won't happen without at least a few big timers.

I'm happy to hear the kids are enjoying hockey in Mexico though and wish them the nest of luck.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Hockey in Mexico is totally questionable and not just for obvious reasons such as "I'm Canadian and I want hockey to myself, so take off eh" or "you can't play hockey in the warm." Those obviously have no impact on my opinion. My opinion is more based on economics like demand, sociological value in terms of worth to communities (novelty for the upper upper class?), and interest from investors. Won't happen without at least a few big timers.

I would like to tell you a story. I took 50 Mexican Hockey players with me to Larry Lund's Okanagan Hockey School back in 1994 and at that time the temperature in Penticton, BC was about 97 degrees (36.11 C) and man...it was hot.

In fact, it doesn't get that hot in Mexico City because it's at 8500 ft above sea level. Well, let me say this. It might get that hot, but not while I was there.

Well, here we were, in Penticton, BC in 97 degree weather and I was standing with a bunch of Canadiens out side and they didn't know who I was. (I didn't expect them to know) But the comments they were making caught me by suprise.

It kind of went like this....

Did you hear that there are a bunch of Mexican's here at the camp this year? The other guy with him said...Yeah, but I didn't think it got cold down there. Then they both turned to me and said...Do they have ice down there?

The funny thing was, we were at camp, in 97 degree weather. It was hotter in BC then it was in Mexico and they were asking if we had ice.

I turned to them and said....yeah, they actually have indoor rinks, just like they do in Canada and the rest of the world!

Head coach

pedrochapala

Aug 10, 2008
chapala,jalisco,mexi
let me help you with your blurred vision, mr v.
a tequila and taco will be about $25 mexican pesos. since you are so smart , i will let you do the conversion into your own currency.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
i can see it know 16.50 for a taco & taquila

Well, Taquila is generally done at the end of the meal, for good digestion. And in Mexico, it is sipped, not slammed, like the rest of the world does, chased by salt and lime.

As for Tacos, they generally come four to a plates with two corn tortilla on each taco for support. Taquila is not served with tacos. Corona's are! And that comes with lime.

Four Tacos...$1.85 USD
Two Corona's...$.75 Cents USD
Herradura Taquila (the Horse shoe)...$1.00 USD
Watching Ice Hockey in Mexico City, where Mexicans are the best fighters in the world....Priceless!

Head coach

Johnny Law

Sep 16, 2008
Philadelphia
Until I saw this thread hockey in Mexico wasn't even on my radar but the more I think about it, I can see alot of ways in which it would become very popular.

I watched some of the youtube videos and the players are certainly talented, I think it would be great for Hockey in general to have a place where the game is strong that isn't thought of as a conventional hockey area.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Until I saw this thread hockey in Mexico wasn't even on my radar but the more I think about it, I can see alot of ways in which it would become very popular.

I watched some of the youtube videos and the players are certainly talented, I think it would be great for Hockey in general to have a place where the game is strong that isn't thought of as a conventional hockey area.

Ice Hockey Has been in Mexico for years if not decades. I was there building a program for the PUMAS of UNAM back in 1993.

Last week, the Mexican National Ice Hockey Team had qualifications for Pool A in Turkey.

Here are the results......
Mexico 2 vs Bulgaria 6
Mexico 5 vs Spain 4
Mexico 9 vs Turkey 2

You can find more on international hockey on this site.

Good luck!
Head Coach

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
let me help you with your blurred vision, mr v.
a tequila and taco will be about $25 mexican pesos. since you are so smart , i will let you do the conversion into your own currency.

I did not mean this seriously. It was said in jest because of some of the ridicuously high prices for a beer and a hot dog in canadian cities:D

pedrochapala

Aug 10, 2008
chapala,jalisco,mexi
firstly-there ain't no such thing as taquila-it's tequila. secondly,i ain't never seen bobbleheads sold at a rink in canada -that's an excited states thing like[GASP!] i saw chearleaders at a hockey game in san diego.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I had fun watching the cheerleaders in Pensacola last season. There were two games: how many would show up that night and how many would actually look happy. I say maybe 7 happy one all season and the most I ever saw at a game was 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->