Mexican league suspends promotion and relegation for 5 years

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Liga MX suspends pro/rel for next five years

Liga MX president Enrique Bonilla has confirmed that promotion and relegation from and to the league has been suspended for five years, following a vote conducted during a video meeting of the 18 Liga MX club owners on Friday.

The second division will become a league seeking to promote young Mexican players, although there was no news about how that will work. It has been reported that there will be a limit on players over the age of 23. The current Liga MX minors rule will disappear, said Bonilla.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Think they want to become something similar to MLS and it won’t shock me if they join up by the time of the 2026 World Cup in some capacity. If the joint leagues in Europe are approved (Belgium-Netherlands most clear example) that will open can of worms globally

MLS wants those Mexican-American viewers which still haven’t jumped the bandwagon to support the league (we didn’t get to see yet if Chicharito would have changed that) and Liga MX has teams in their lower end struggling massively financially, there are teams who can’t pay players which isn’t as issue with MLS so they want that American money and sponsorships

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Think they want to become something similar to MLS and it won’t shock me if they join up by the time of the 2026 World Cup in some capacity. If the joint leagues in Europe are approved (Belgium-Netherlands most clear example) that will open can of worms globally

MLS wants those Mexican-American viewers which still haven’t jumped the bandwagon to support the league (we didn’t get to see yet if Chicharito would have changed that) and Liga MX has teams in their lower end struggling massively financially, there are teams who can’t pay players which isn’t as issue with MLS so they want that American money and sponsorships
I don’t think it would be a good plan for MLS/Liga MX to combine. I just don’t see how it would be profitable. That would be a league of 40-50 teams. Maybe they make they Campeones Cup (MLS winner vs. MX winner) mean more but I don’t see how a league with those two combined is profitable.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Odd timing. Are they just doing this now because it will help their clubs get loans?

It’s been in the works for a while, I don’t follow Liga MX closely but their pro/rel was a fraud for the most part. Firstly they used something like a three year window to determine who went down and averaged the points which saved Chivas recently. Also not sure how frequently this happened but apparently you could pay some fee to avoid relegation (I know Veracruz did it and surprise surprise they went bankrupt shortly after lol)

Veracruz boss: Club will pay to stay in Liga MX

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It’s been in the works for a while, I don’t follow Liga MX closely but their pro/rel was a fraud for the most part. Firstly they used something like a three year window to determine who went down and averaged the points which saved Chivas recently.

Veracruz boss: Club will pay to stay in Liga MX
I think thats how it works in most, if not all, Latin American countries.

Could be wrong on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad