Advice: Metro Detroit Area Summer Pick-Up Hockey.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
Hi,

I'm coming over to Michigan in July/August to spend a bit of time with the family and I was wondering whether it is worth bringing my hockey gear with me to get in a few pick-up games? I know that some rinks used to close in the summer months but is this still widespread?

I'm going to be in the Southgate area but am happy to travel any reasonable distance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
There are several scheduled drop-in sessions through the Suburban Hockey group. They have 4 or 5 rinks, not sure about the Down River area. Just check out the calendars posted on thier web site for the days and times. Turnout to these is very hit or miss. I have attended the lunch time sessions and they only get 2-7 skaters. The morning and evening sessions may get better turn out. Good luck!

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
There are several scheduled drop-in sessions through the Suburban Hockey group. They have 4 or 5 rinks, not sure about the Down River area. Just check out the calendars posted on thier web site for the days and times. Turnout to these is very hit or miss. I have attended the lunch time sessions and they only get 2-7 skaters. The morning and evening sessions may get better turn out. Good luck!

Thanks very much for your response.

The standard of my hockey is what you'd expect from someone who only learnt to skate last July and is trapped in a hockey backwater. Will I be completely out of place or are there likely to be others who predominantly use their stick for support rather than scoring?

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Thanks very much for your response.

The standard of my hockey is what you'd expect from someone who only learnt to skate last July and is trapped in a hockey backwater. Will I be completely out of place or are there likely to be others who predominantly use their stick for support rather than scoring?

Ha ha! It really depends. I have seen beginers and some junior level players. I don't think anyone would care what level of play you are at. Most guys are just out to have fun. If you feel a bit more comfortable the Suburban Hockey groups also offer Sticks and Pucks sessions.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Hi,

I'm coming over to Michigan in July/August to spend a bit of time with the family and I was wondering whether it is worth bringing my hockey gear with me to get in a few pick-up games? I know that some rinks used to close in the summer months but is this still widespread?

I'm going to be in the Southgate area but am happy to travel any reasonable distance.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'll find out in the coming days for you in regards to the Taylor Sportsplex, which is right outside of Southgate. I want to say they turn one of the ice rinks into an inline rink, but I'm pretty sure they keep one open and offer drop in year round. I have a buddy who manages up there, so I'll ask him.

Regardless I'd suggest to bring your gear if you feel like playing. There's so many rinks in the metro Detroit region that at least a few of them are bound to have drop in available.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I'll find out in the coming days for you in regards to the Taylor Sportsplex, which is right outside of Southgate. I want to say they turn one of the ice rinks into an inline rink, but I'm pretty sure they keep one open and offer drop in year round. I have a buddy who manages up there, so I'll ask him.

Regardless I'd suggest to bring your gear if you feel like playing. There's so many rinks in the metro Detroit region that at least a few of them are bound to have drop in available.

Thanks very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad