Methods of comparing offense between eras

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This would greatly favor eras like the 1970s when there was a huge disparity between haves and have-nots.

I agree but tying the scoring level to the top end in such cases is just trying the metric to the haves (more often than not) and having the same effect but from the other end -- in effect downgrading those in poor team situations.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
The problem with scrutinizing expansion is that you have to look at it relative to the talent pool. In other world if the number of teams increases by 5% but this occurs around the same time that the talent pool expands by > 5%, this issue doesn't carry a lot of weight.

I'm not at all sure how you mean "scrutinizing expansion."
Is expansion the issue you reference in your last clause, and if so, exactly what do you see as the issue?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Time on Ice: 80's and 90's vs. now

I have heard that Wayne and Mario and most likely other offensive greats played a lot more minutes per game than today's best forwards. Should this be a factor in comparing stats from each era?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have heard that Wayne and Mario and most likely other offensive greats played a lot more minutes per game than today's best forwards. Should this be a factor in comparing stats from each era?

VsX only compares star scorers to each other, so it would already take this into account. Unless you think Gretzky and Lemieux saw far more ice time than other star scorers of their era

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In all honesty it is hard to compare from era to era. I personally believe it was much harder to score when you had 6 teams and now because if you look at any roster the teams are much stronger from player 1 to player 20 then it was during those middle years(67-mid 90s). I just think it's much easier to pad stats when the difference between the best and worst is wider, even worse with all the defensive systems teams have adopted since then as well.

As Somebody who remembers the mid to late 80s, I just remember seeing guys who were terrible players filling out the bottom lines(much more then I see in today's game)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I think one of the problems in comparing eras is that when one tries to account for some really important variable, like TOI, coaching and player use changes, influxes of new talent and expansion of teams, the method becomes somewhat subjective and then appears to "punish" one era over others (which is odd since something has changed why wouldn't something like scoring rates change?)

I think when comparing players offense, and how good they were at it, across eras one needs to account for and look at as many metrics as possible and somehow combine all the information into an objective look as is possible with subjective things.

I think too often people want to see all players on the same level across eras, more or less, so any metric that doesn't do this is seen as unreliable which may be faulty.

It might very well be that the differences in eras will produce different numbers in different seasons for the reasons of all the possible variable differences and just plain randomness at times.

The larger the sample the less chance there is for randomness and the closer any two players are in the era (or difference continuum) then the results are probably more "accurate".

Players at the extremes of the difference continuum, say McGee and Stamkos then it's extremely difficult to come up with just one single metric to measure how each player was compared to each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad