Recalled/Assigned: Mete recalled, Juulsen assigned to Laval

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He can maybe be a Matt Carle type of defenseman ?

Who, Juulsen ? Or Mete ?

If so, I don't see any similarities for Juulsen.

Juulsen is already good in his own zone (needs polishing, of course), and already very physical, probably projecting as a 2-way defensive rock, while Carle was a non-physical, mobile offensive D who wasn't very good in his own zone.

As for Mete, not sure either, cause he's very intelligent in his own zone, he really is a pure 2-way D.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who, Juulsen ? Or Mete ?

If so, I don't see any similarities for Juulsen.

Juulsen is already good in his own zone (needs polishing, of course), and already very physical, probably projecting as a 2-way defensive rock, while Carle was a non-physical, mobile offensive D who wasn't very good in his own zone.

As for Mete, not sure either, cause he's very intelligent in his own zone, he really is a pure 2-way D.

Mete

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Really don't know why people treat him like he's a finished project. He's 20 playing top pairing mins ffs lol. Tons of time to improve/get stronger. People are so bizarre. Instead of being excited that a 4th rounder made the league as a 19 year old you just get a bunch of blow hard nonsense. He's already shown he can gain muscle with out losing speed which is a good sign. He can obviously still get stronger.

If he was in the AHL he'd be dominant and we'd be loving it. Instead he's doing better than that and people are crapping all over him lol.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
As Mete ages, he will naturally gain mass and his lack of strength should sort itself out on it's own. That's the only thing he needs to be a legit top 4 defender in the NHL.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
pretty accurate if u ask me

he hasnt done anything special since his comeback
he should be spending more time with laval to improve his game

[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
what offense

Like if a player could not improve his game in the NHL lol. I'm surprised this myth is still going strong. When Petry turned 28 he had 97 points in 365 games so and average of 22 points every 82 games. It did not prevent him from becoming one of the best offensive dman this season. He played only 51 games in the AHL.

Mete just needs to play. IMO he'll learn as much by playing with Weber or Petry than for a losing team in the AHL in a level inferior to the one Romanov is playing in right now. We got Weber to help if he can't do it then ...

Using Schlemko, Benn or Kulak in a top 4 role is just a total waste of time. It's not like they are doing better than Mete. Mete needs to improve but he's already as good as those guys. The main difference between him and them is he can actually improve while those guys wont. Maybe Kulak he's just 25 but he got less potential than Mete that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Niklas Hjalmarsson was a very important part for the Hawks during their prime and only cracked 20 points twice in his career. I believe Mete can become a 15-20 point Dman in the NHL.
pure defensive D, that's what Mete and his 5'9 frame will become.

nice comparison, yup...

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
pure defensive D, that's what Mete and his 5'9 frame will become.

nice comparison, yup...
You contradicted yourself with your 2 posts. You start by saying that Mete needs to put up points, to become a top 4 D and then say that Hjalmarsson is a "pure defensive D", yet he clearly was a top 4 during his prime, and on a three time cup winning team. In the new NHL, he can become a defensive D man by gaining strength; his positioning and IQ are already above average.

Stop with the sarcastic replies.

Reactions: Habby4Life

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
All those quotes ..

I still dont know about Mete , He was a late pick for a reason. Yes hes been doing okay since his comeback but Last year when Weber got injured , Mete was terrible. Mete also struggled this year without Weber. I can only imagine any kid playing with Weber would make him better. It was the same when People were playing with Markov , it goes for any Really good D-man.

But people in the last posts see him as a non-offensive player? I mean thats kinda his only weapon which is really weak. a 5'9 dman who cant hit and have a pea-shooter as a shot will never be a top dman. He needs to get way more minutes right now and he should burn the AHL and play around 25+min. Because if we keep Mete only for his defensive aspect , i dont see him higher than a 6th/7th man. Hes average in his zone. Better than the others alteast... but its not like the skill gap is high on the Left side with the habs....

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I seriously wish we would have committed to him playing in the AHL. I still believe in his potential and him playing for an extended period of time in the minors would have been good.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You contradicted yourself with your 2 posts. You start by saying that Mete needs to put up points, to become a top 4 D and then say that Hjalmarsson is a "pure defensive D", yet he clearly was a top 4 during his prime, and on a three time cup winning team. In the new NHL, he can become a defensive D man by gaining strength; his positioning and IQ are already above average.

Stop with the sarcastic replies.
There was no sarcasm in my post, you just did not get it

6'3 hjalmarson is a pure déf. D, thats the comparison you made.

How many 5'9 top 4 d Is There in this league ? How many are 15/20 pts d ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would take Mete over Juulsen because he's a much better skater but imo neither are top pairing D's on contending teams as neither has the offensive upside that you would prefer to have on the top pairing.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I would take Mete over Juulsen because he's a much better skater but imo neither are top pairing D's on contending teams as neither has the offensive upside that you would prefer to have on the top pairing.
I agree I think they both top out as number 3's. In our system only guys with top pairing potential in my mind are Brook and Romanov. I do believe they will both become decent second pairing dmen however maybe even together.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Since being sent down December 17th, Juulsen has only played 3 games in the AHL and none in 2019. What is his status, is he injured or is Laval messing up another prospect...

Reactions: Fazkovsky

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree I think they both top out as number 3's. In our system only guys with top pairing potential in my mind are Brook and Romanov. I do believe they will both become decent second pairing dmen however maybe even together.

I would be ecstatic if both became no. 3's.

But there's a lot of of hockey to be played, and their development will continue. Time will tell.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd rather see him dominate the AHL tbh.
He'll never be a dominant player...not in the NHL not in the AHL.

That's not the kind of player he is.

Furthermore, I know this "dominate the AHL" has become somewhat of a catchphrase.

But players who usually dominate the AHL, are players who aren't good enough for the NHL.

Top 10 AHL scorers as of today

Daniel Carr
Carter Verhaeghe
Peter Holland
Brandon Pirri
Andrew Poturalski
Cory Conacher
Chris Mueller
Chris Terry
Greg Carey
Jeremy Bracco

There isn't a big time prospect in this list, these are all AHL veterans because for the most part, the AHL is actually not a league full of top prospects who are developing for their respective teams, it's mostly a league made up of NHL/AHL veterans who aren't good enough to stick in the NHL...dominating the AHL doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Mete has been playing a lot better since his AHL stint. I'd still like him to produce more offense if he's going to stick around in our D for upcoming seasons, but it's not like he doesn't get chances. He's still young and still has the tools and the IQ to do this eventually, IMO, he just has to put them together moving forward.

Ryan Ellis, Torey Krug, Samuel Girard... If he can turn into one of these guys for us, I'll have no problem with him being a mainstay in the top 6.

If you're a 5'9 D in the NHL, you should be putting up at least some offense or be able to at least compete well defensively (ala Bouillon in his younger years). The problem is if you're in the middle of this spectrum at that size, then it's more of a "what do you bring to this team that a bigger guy can't?" kind of question. Skating and passing IS important, especially in today's game, but so are puck battles and grinding in corners when defending, especially in the playoffs.

Jul 6, 2016
He'll never be a dominant player...not in the NHL not in the AHL.

That's not the kind of player he is.

Furthermore, I know this "dominate the AHL" has become somewhat of a catchphrase.

But players who usually dominate the AHL, are players who aren't good enough for the NHL.

Top 10 AHL scorers as of today

Daniel Carr
Carter Verhaeghe
Peter Holland
Brandon Pirri
Andrew Poturalski
Cory Conacher
Chris Mueller
Chris Terry
Greg Carey
Jeremy Bracco

There isn't a big time prospect in this list, these are all AHL veterans because for the most part, the AHL is actually not a league full of top prospects who are developing for their respective teams, it's mostly a league made up of NHL/AHL veterans who aren't good enough to stick in the NHL...dominating the AHL doesn't really mean anything.

The best young players are going directly, most of the time, from Junior or College to NHL directly. But thre is still lots of good young players at AHL level who needs one or two seasons to grow up and will become solid NHL players. Look at TB. Many of their star players played at AHL level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The best young players are going directly, most of the time, from Junior or College to NHL directly. But thre is still lots of good young players at AHL level who needs one or two seasons to grow up and will become solid NHL players. Look at TB. Many of their star players played at AHL level.
I'm not saying it never happens...it does.

I'm just saying I think there's a distorted view of what the AHL represents.

It's not the developmental breeding ground that I often see it portrayed as.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm not saying it never happens...it does.

I'm just saying I think there's a distorted view of what the AHL represents.

It's not the developmental breeding ground that I often see it portrayed as.

There is 31 AHL team with, on average 25 players on their roster. Of course, not all of them are talented enough to think reaching the NHL. Possibly, only half a dozen per team at the most can hope reaching the NHL and be full time NHL players down the road.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There is 31 AHL team with, on average 25 players on their roster. Of course, not all of them are talented enough to think reaching the NHL. Possibly, only half a dozen per team at the most can hope reaching the NHL and be full time NHL players down the road.
I think even that's a stretch...

You brought up the Tampa Bay Lightning...

On their current team, the only players who've played any significant amount of time on their AHL team are

Tyler Johnson
Ondrej Palat

Jul 6, 2016
I think even that's a stretch...

You brought up the Tampa Bay Lightning...

On their current team, the only players who've played any significant amount of time on their AHL team are

Tyler Johnson
Ondrej Palat

Gourde, Erne, Paquette, Cirelli, Cernak, Joseph.... Marchesseault back then....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->