Metallica Appreciation Thread

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Seattle '89 is overrated generally because it's the concert that everyone seems to pick as their best show ever. It wasn't.

While great...I'd take Cliff era footage, San Diego '92, or even their "Monsters of Rock" '91 performance footage over it.
I say it was.

It's still the best concert I've ever seen on recording. From them or anyone else. Sound, setlist, the transitions, the look of the Justice stage, and the energy from the 4 of them...all 100% perfect.

With all due respect, to say it's overrated is as f***ing stupid as an unwashed ass.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@MetalheadPenguinsFan ffs i found a used America Must Be Destroyed cassette for 15 bucks today in a used book store in the suburbs of Chicago and acted like I won the Cup over it. Not because it's easy to find things like that anymore.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Yeah? Where? Been to NYC lately? For the last 15 years, every time i go home another shop has gone under.
That's because it's easier to go to the band's website and buy the album/t-shirt/sticker than drive to the record store and hope they have it. The brick and mortar record store being outdated business model is a totally separate issue than a corporate rock band being greedy

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
That's because it's easier to go to the band's website and buy the album/t-shirt/sticker than drive to the record store and hope they have it. The brick and mortar record store being outdated business model is a totally separate issue than a corporate rock band being greedy

This.

Plus a lot of online metal shops will have album/T-shirt/sticker combos and stuff

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Is this directed at Metallica?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
They understood that in a money economy, one ought to get something tangible in return to keep the industry, business, and scene thriving. Otherwise advertisements, big business, corporations, and the internet take over.

Anyways, these are the only essential Metallica releases in my view: Kill 'Em All, Garage, Inc.. This has their hyper-speed guitar leads and influential rhythm guitar thrash bounce, plus some decent covers.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
1718706.gif

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
My cousin's girlfriend who's in her 40s told me Metallica were good "back in the day". I told her "they're still good".

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I really loved the (2nd part) of Halo on fire (3:32 and on). It's a bit different which can be bad.. but for me, it was great.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Metal was my first favorite genre as a kid. Even though I listen to it rarely now at best I will listen to Puppets once a year or so. Fantastic album on every front.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yeah? When was the last time you were able to go to a record store and buy an album and a few shirts, patches, posters or stickers.

They were right.
Streaming services have probably caused a lot of that. At the end of the day it's an industry that has evolved just like any other and new artists need to adapt (which means touring, merch, etc,)

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Your cousin is right. St.Anger killed them for me.

Their best album is Ride the Lightning imo.
While the last few albums weren't as good as the classics, they got some edge back. Hetfield's voice too.
I personally liked some songs on St-Anger. It was heavy! The unnamed feeling's video clip I like for sure!
Death Magnetic was more like old-school, but with more of a polished production. More composition (although still a lot of riffs after riffs). Solos were back. Some complain about the sound.. and yes, it was kind of loud!
Hardwired to self-destruct is also heavy but for me, simplified. Heavy though. Improvised solo. ? The 2nd part of Halo on Fire, I really like. The solo fits the song good enough.

I also prefer Ride the Lightning. It's raw and heavy. Fade to Black sounds awesome.
I prefer James's singing on And Justice For All...
Load and Reload, mix of songs that are more like alternative rock/metal, which I thought were cool at the time.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
S&M2 was pretty epic, can't wait for show 2 tomorrow night

If we're talking the albums...

KEA-Justice I love

TBA is great but it gets the least amount of play for me

Load and Reload were the first CDs I owned from Metallica so they are great to me, they're different but still heavy, especially lyrically'

St. Anger is one im in the minority on, its a killer album to me, the production and lack of solos don't bug me at all. I was going through a lot of stuff though when it came out so it really resonated with me, so I have a soft spot for it.

Death Magnetic was cool but doesn't get a lot of play for me anymore apart from Cyanide, All Nightmare Long, Suicide and Redemption. It just maybe felt a little forced in parts to me.

Hardwired is a really great album to me. Spit Out The Bone, Moth Into Flame and Atlas Rise feel like modern classics to me. I just don't care for Am I Savage and Murder One, I think it could have been a killer 1 disc album if those 2 were cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabroni

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Spit Out The Bone reminds me of classic 80s Metallica. That's a killer song and fits into the top 10 of Metallica songs for me.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->