Metal Gear Solid series discussion.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Metal_Gear_Solid_logo.png

As with the Final Fantasy thread I started recently I searched the board and was a little surprised to notice that there isn't a dedicated Metal Gear Solid thread!

Metal Gear solid ranks in my top video game series of all time and it's one of the most iconic stealth/action game series in history... It's hard for me to pick a favorite game, as they all were unique and revolutionary in their own way. It's even difficult for me to pick a favorite storyline of one game over the others, as they all bring out their own unique parts of the overall story that Kojima has woven.

If I was forced to pick one that I labeled as my overall "Favorite", considering all factors I would probably have to pick MGS3.

Some of the questions I'd like to discuss are:
- Do you guys think Kojima was a real mastermind, or do his stories come across as cliché or convoluted to you?

- Which MGS title, if any, do you think relates the most directly to real life scenarios or has lessons that can be applied to life?

- What is your favorite Metal Gear title? (specify different aspects of different games if you'd like)
  • Storyline
  • Gameplay
  • Setting
  • Characters
  • Villains
- Do you still play through old Metal Gear games for nostalgia's sake?

- Now that Kojima is done with Konami and Metal Gear are you going to keep following the series or leave with him?

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
As for myself:

I find Kojima to be a genius. In the context of when they were released, and also over the course of the entire series I find the storyline of each game, and the overall story absolutely captivating. Kojima "raised" this series as if it were his child and I think he's done a spectacular job. He does draw his characters pretty clearly from different media outlets (Escape from New York, among others), but the way he weaves these characters through his own stories is amazing.

If I was forced to pick one that I labeled as my overall "Favorite" considering all factors I would probably have to pick MGS3. The camo and stamina aspects of the game were absolutely brilliant in my opinion. I love the jungle setting and the time period as well. Ocelot is my favorite MGS character, and his MGS3 version was my favorite, as well. Coincidentally, MGS3's Single Action Army is probably my favorite use-able weapon as well.

Every so often I will replay a couple of Metal Gear titles. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, so I typically replay a couple of my old favorites each year.

With Kojima out of the picture Metal Gear is no longer Metal Gear. It's a totally different thing now, and I don't like the direction whatsoever. I'm not white-knighting for Kojima by doing this, but I cannot follow the series anymore. It seems to be nearing the end of its life.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I can get lost for hours reading through the lore of the MGS series, always been a big fan.

I knew that MG Survive was going to be garbage when I saw it, that game looked like trash.

Favourite MG is probably 3 as well. If I had to rank them

3 (Multiplayer was surprisingly fun)
1 (Especially the Twin Snakes version on Gamecube)
2 (Still a fan of the story, but the setting on the tanker was very boring to me)

The PSP games were fun as well but I still think the console versions were better.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I can get lost for hours reading through the lore of the MGS series, always been a big fan.

I knew that MG Survive was going to be garbage when I saw it, that game looked like trash.

Favourite MG is probably 3 as well. If I had to rank them

3 (Multiplayer was surprisingly fun)
1 (Especially the Twin Snakes version on Gamecube)
2 (Still a fan of the story, but the setting on the tanker was very boring to me)

The PSP games were fun as well but I still think the console versions were better.
Same here, I love the logs that they have in the game to read.

Couldn't bring myself to even look at Survive. looks like a travesty to me.

I think I probably agree with your list. Might flip-flop 4 and 5, but that's pretty solid.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I really could never get into these games. I hate "stealth" type games and from what I remember, there was a lot of that in these games.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yes, yes I do belong here. Didn't noticed that this thread made :laugh:.

For me, I think I'm done with MGS because I can't trust Konami to do anything right anymore with any of their properties, so f*** it. I'm done with MGS. Can't wait for Death Stranding though.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, yes I do belong here. Didn't noticed that this thread made :laugh:.

For me, I think I'm done with MGS because I can't trust Konami to do anything right anymore with any of their properties, so **** it. I'm done with MGS. Can't wait for Death Stranding though.
Ain't that the truth :(

Agreed about Death Stranding... It's going to be an epic mind-f*** I'm sure

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
These games used to blow me away as a kid. For years now I've wanted to go back and replay MGS2 from start to finish now that I might be able to understand all the crazy stuff that happened in that game but I just can't get invested enough to sit through all those cutscenes nowadays.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The stories are certainly convoluted, but it gets away with it.

My favs are probably:

5/2

I'll play other MGS if they look worth the time and money.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
These games used to blow me away as a kid. For years now I've wanted to go back and replay MGS2 from start to finish now that I might be able to understand all the crazy stuff that happened in that game but I just can't get invested enough to sit through all those cutscenes nowadays.
Ahh, come on! MGS2's story is awesome! :P and it's pretty short too.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The stories are certainly convoluted, but it gets away with it.

My favs are probably:

5/2

I'll play other MGS if they look worth the time and money.
Unless Hideo Kojima gets the rights to MGS, or until him and Konami make up I don't think we'll be seeing another REAL MGS game again :'(

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
MGS2 is the only one I got most of the way through with European Extreme but I cannot for the life of me beat Solidus at the end.
European Extreme almost put me in the psych ward. lol it's borderline torture.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's not really a Metal Gear game, but if you want an amazing action experience, I highly recommend Metal Gear Rising.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's not really a Metal Gear game, but if you want an amazing action experience, I highly recommend Metal Gear Rising.

I recently bought an Xbox One S controller for my computer and I've been meaning to play games like this with it.

Also, I got some help with the extreme mode especially during the torture scene near the end. My friend is a ridiculously fast and effective button masher.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The first time I was playing through the end of the game I was about 10 years old... I'll never forget feeling absolutely terrified during the Arsenal Gear codec calls.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I played them a bit growing up, but it wasn't until a couple years ago that I decided to beat them all, so here is my ranking as a somewhat late bloomer

Phantom Pain - Gameplay was just too good. Story wasn't as good as some of the others but it was just too fun to not put as #1. My only real complaint was no great boss battles.

Snake Eater - Perfect blend of story and good gameplay. Best boss fights in the series.

MGS1 - I'll probably take some heat but this hasn't held up as well as other old games. The story will always be great, but it just feels so clunky compared to 3/5/PW, etc. Certain parts felt like a chore replaying it a few years ago. The twist in this one remains king.

Sons of Liberty - Similar sentiments to MGS1 for me. A little less clunky though. Only placed lower than MGS1 because I gotta pay respect to the original.

Peace Walker - One of the best games gameplay wise, but lack of any real boss kind of sucked. And every mission kind of felt the same in how you approach it. I would always play every level the same stealth wise, whereas MGSV I felt like I had to change my approach depending on the situation. But it was fun gameplay and the framework for mother base and stuff was cool although not as fleshed out as MGSV.

Guns of Patriots - Some pretty good boss fights, nostalgia of Shadow Moses was good fanfare too. Just got kinda weird at some points.

That said they are all great. MGS Rising was fun too but very different (and difficult). Some day Ill get around to playing the original Metal Gear games and Portable Ops.

I think going forward they should just do remakes of some of the older games (like Snake Eater) with the engine they used for MGSV. That way you are staying true to the original story, and not bastardizing it like they are with MGS Survive.

And just for fun:
  • Storyline - MGS3
  • Gameplay - MGSV
  • Setting -MGS3
  • Characters - hmm... I feel like most of the good characters were villains and thats a separate category. Maybe I'll go MGS4 because it has BB, SS, and Raiden
  • Villains - MGS3

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad