Metal Geal Solid series

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
EW2Eaz6U8AAaTiO

Happy MGS2 Day!

(although personally I'm a bigger fan of MGS3, I know a lot of fans of the series hold 2 in very high regard.)

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The Best Is Yet To Come is still the greatest video game soundtrack song of all time. Gave me chills during the MGS4 flashback scene.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have a PS4 what best way to play the series? So many collections
Unfortunatly you will need a PS2 and/or PS3/360 to play all the MGS games. There is an HD collection of Metal Gear Solid which has MGS 1-3 as well as Peace Walker, and MGS4 is a standalone title available for the PS3 as well.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
EW2Eaz6U8AAaTiO

Happy MGS2 Day!

(although personally I'm a bigger fan of MGS3, I know a lot of fans of the series hold 2 in very high regard.)

Hell yea! Looove Metal Gear Solid! I think it kind of shaped a good bit of my world-view in terms of government, military, and the like.

It's so hard for me to pick out a favorite game from the series, because they're all great in their own regard.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
1, 2 and 3 are all among the best games ever made imo. And the first two especially were incredibly important and influential on the industry as a whole.

MGSV had immaculate gameplay but the story and other factors hold it back from reaching that level. I only played MGS4 for the first time recently so not sure if that made a difference in my impressions, but I thought it was the worst of the bunch.

BTW if you have a PS4 you can play MGS4 through PSNow. It's their streaming service and allows you to play PS3 games. I think they have a 7 day free trial, more than enough time to beat the game. That's what I did a year or so ago.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
1, 2 and 3 are all among the best games ever made imo. And the first two especially were incredibly important and influential on the industry as a whole.

MGSV had immaculate gameplay but the story and other factors hold it back from reaching that level. I only played MGS4 for the first time recently so not sure if that made a difference in my impressions, but I thought it was the worst of the bunch.

BTW if you have a PS4 you can play MGS4 through PSNow. It's their streaming service and allows you to play PS3 games. I think they have a 7 day free trial, more than enough time to beat the game. That's what I did a year or so ago.
MGS4 played very much like a movie to me. I loved it because it tied up a lot of story lines and tied together a lot of things. Did you get the same feel?

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
2 is actually a masterpiece.
Couldn't agree more. I honestly feel like this game had a major impact on my views of world politics and governments. I had just turned 10 when it came out and I played it a TON into my early teens.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
MGS3 > MGS2 > MGS1 > MGS5 > MGS4

Don't get me wrong, I love MGS4, but MGS5 and its gameplay just knocks it ahead that much. Also, I know people don't, but I legit love sitting through the ending of MGS4.

MGS2 is going to timeless I think though considering what it talks about. It came out in 2001 and some of the shit it talks about resonates so f***ing huge today.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think 1 has the best bosses, 2 the best story (possibly of any video game), 3 the best level design, and 5 the best gameplay.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
MGS3 has gotta be in my top 10 games ever, probably top 5.

1-5 are all great games though. Damn shame what Konami did with Survive.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The thing that still blows my mind about 2 all these years later is how risky it was to intentionally subvert expectations in a game with such massive hype and budget. Everything in the buildup towards the game was designed to throw us off the scent. When I bought it I had no idea I'd be mostly playing as Raiden, no one did. And all that confusion from the players end at what was happening just played into the games story perfectly.

I do think 3 is the best game purely from an objective standpoint, but it was still more thrilling to experience 2 for the first time.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
MGS4 played very much like a movie to me. I loved it because it tied up a lot of story lines and tied together a lot of things. Did you get the same feel?

Yeah defintely. It's certainly the anti-MGS5 in terms of prioritizing cutscenes over gameplay. Of course 5 went too far the other way. I think the first 3 had a great balance.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yeah defintely. It's certainly the anti-MGS5 in terms of prioritizing cutscenes over gameplay. Of course 5 went too far the other way. I think the first 3 had a great balance.
I agree about the first 3. By the time 4 came around the plotlines were a little bit muddied and I think they had to over-utilize the cutscenes to pull the story together tighter.

I personally think Snake Eater was the peak of the series in terms of tying together every aspect that makes MGS great into one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad