Meszaros or Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E&M

Nov 18, 2004
Vancouver
Greg7 said:
Back on topic.

Both have been great this season in the WHL and in this tournament (well, I only saw Meszaros in the one game so far against Canada, but he was good then, his stats are good, and I've seen him every game for Vancouver this year).

Meszaros has adjusted flawlessly to the North American game, and has really improved his physical game (apparently at least - people say he wasn't physical in Slovakia, but he sure is now). Like Phaneuf, Meszaros really looks like he's ready to take the next step to a higher level right now.

Phaneuf is the better hitter of the two, but I would say Meszaros has maybe the best first pass I've seen in the entire WHL this year. Phaneuf's positioning and fundamentals are probably also better than Meszaros', but Meszaros I think is slightly faster, although both are very strong and quick on their skates as well as being laterally mobile and agile. Both have great shots, and both are good power play quarterbacks, although I think Meszaros projects as a better puck mover while Phaneuf will be more of the big point shot presence.

In the end, I would give a slight edge to Phaneuf now, and a slightly bigger edge to Phaneuf long term, but both of them really look like they're going to be quality NHL defensemen.

well said

Phaneuf is better, but way more people here have seen him play than Meszaros. The guy looks like a great pick by the sens at number 23

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I am very impressed with the way Meszaros has adapted to the NA game but i'll have to go with Phaneuf. He's everything you want in a NHL defencemen today he's the full package. I was hoping the habs would take him but calgary knabed him what spot before.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
eddy said:
I am very impressed with the way Meszaros has adapted to the NA game but i'll have to go with Phaneuf. He's everything you want in a NHL defencemen today he's the full package. I was hoping the habs would take him but calgary knabed him what spot before.
Without a doubt, Meszaros is a complete D man, who has really turned some heads with his showing thus far as a rookie in the WHL. By the same token, Phaneuf is, well...what can you say that hasn't been said already. This guy is what every team is looking for, and he has proved time and again that he is the real deal. I think they will both be well rounded players who can play the game well in every facet, but at this tmie it just appears that Phaneuf will fit in better and sooner then Meszaros.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:
Now that you mention it, wouldn't that be an extremely difficult pairing to play against? Regher - Phaneuf, whether you go to the right or left you are probably gonna get beat up pretty bad on the boards and in the corners!! Nice! :yo:
Flames should try and trade for Webber :D

Dion Mustard*

Nimrods Son said:
Lots of Phaneufs checks are a bit high - he won't be able to do that stuff on guys like Naslund and Kariya, when he gets to the NHL. He's able to take care of himself in the WHL, but a 20 year old kid going up against Jody Shelley, Peter Worrell, or Wade Brookbank is a different story.

He'll take his lumps as a 20 year old, but after that, pansies like Worrell and Brookbank won't stand a chance (or even try after seeing what he can do). There is a reason Scott Stevens hasn't had to fight that much. Phaneuf can handle his own, and knows he only has to answer the bell when the game is decided.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Dion Mustard said:
He'll take his lumps as a 20 year old, but after that, pansies like Worrell and Brookbank won't stand a chance (or even try after seeing what he can do). There is a reason Scott Stevens hasn't had to fight that much. Phaneuf can handle his own, and knows he only has to answer the bell when the game is decided.
Calgary won't want Phaneuf fighting, you can bet on that.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
jtuzzi21 said:

Calling NHL enforcers (in response to the thread you quoted, this isn't to you) pansies seems like a strange thing to do to me.

Calgary won't want Phaneuf fighting but that may not make a difference. Calgary doesn't want Iginla fighting either, and that still happens occasionally.

FlyersFan10*

This is such a loaded question. Anyway you answer it, you're gonna get flamed no matter who you choose. I'll say this. I choose neither. There are only two defensemen who I'd want on my team right now. One is Mark Stuart. The other is Jack Johnson.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
FlyersFan10 said:
This is such a loaded question. Anyway you answer it, you're gonna get flamed no matter who you choose. I'll say this. I choose neither. There are only two defensemen who I'd want on my team right now. One is Mark Stuart. The other is Jack Johnson.

OUCH!! IF you wanted to keep Jack Johnson and Mark Stuart and let me have Phaneuf (throw in Meszaros for free) then I would shake your hand and laugh at you.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
FlyersFan10 said:

With all due respect, Jack Johnson didn't even make this abysmal Team USA. You can say what you want about bad choices, but to me, personally, the fact that he was not taken for this team, which everybody knew was going to have a weak defence, is an indicator that the hype machine has been in overdrive with him.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
Darryl Sutter has said that he doesn't mind when Jarome Iginla drops the glove, he thinks it is part of the game. Phaneuf is going to have to answer the call sometimes, and I don't mind that.

You see guys taking less liberties with Jarome Iginla because they know full well he is going to strike back. If Todd Bertuzzi would drop the gloves for a clean fight I bet he wouldn't have to whine so much about guys sticking him etc.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MrMastodonFarm said:
Darryl Sutter has said that he doesn't mind when Jarome Iginla drops the glove, he thinks it is part of the game. Phaneuf is going to have to answer the call sometimes, and I don't mind that.

I agree. If you play an intense game, you gotta respond to challenges as well. I think what Sutter (and anyone smart, really) doesn't want is to see top players frequently taking the bait against huge enforcer stiffs and pest-shmucks.

That's not good. But other than that, nothing wrong with taking care of yourself on the ice. It does carry a risk of injuries but that's part of the game. As long as Phaneuf doesn't answer every 4th liners challenge, Sutter is not going to complain. He can fight, he just has to be smart about it. So should every player for that matter.

Corey

A few players in the 2003 draft were picked too low, starting with Phaneuf at #9. If that draft was held all over again he'd be in the top 5 for sure.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Meszaros looks like he could be a stronger, meaner Andrei Markov with some work.

That's very, very good if it happens.

I agree with Matt up to a point. I don't like Phaneuf when he's got the puck unless it's in the offensive zone. Then it becomes really, really good. Otherwise it's a little awkward (although it has improved). Phaneuf has awesome upside, has developed beyond what I hoped and is going to do Calgary a lot of good paired with a guy who can complement him.

I have to go with Phaneuf anyway. He's the best D prospect currently.

Andrej Meszaros = Andrei Markov. Markov has a reputation of a soft player but look at him play, he's physical out there. Their style are very similar, that's true.

I'd take Dion Phaneuf over Andrej Meszaros still, but Meszaros is one of my favorite prospect. I think he was the 2nd best defenseman in the draft after Barker, and heck, he could even be better than Barker.

espo*

Phaneuf by quite a bit,he's the best player i've seen yet in this tourney so far.Dominant defenseman and is going to be for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad