Meszaros or Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
which D-man has played better? im sure the concensus would be on phaneuf as to he delivers bone crunshing checks as well as his solid play and offensive contribution... however the game i saw meszaros play against Canada he was very solid and in my opinion the best defensman that game... him and phaneuf lead the tourney with 4 points... of course if hes not on a team like Canada with 32 goals so far.
so in a nutshell -

meszaros with a team like Canada most likely would have a lot more points and solid d-man
Phaneuf - decent offence solid D..and intimidating hits

i dont mean for this to be a heated argument (as sometimes it ends up) but hoping on a pro's vs conn's of both players.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
The fact that Phaneuf has dominated the way he has and put up about 25-30 mins per game (not withstanding the 10 min misconduct, which was bogus anyway) puts him ahead. Meszaros is good, but he isn't of Phanuefs caliber at this point.

leafaholix*

If this team was lacking offense, Dion Phaneuf would be one of the top producers in this tournament. He's not just "decent", his offensive skills are very good.

AgentNaslund*

Phaneuf. Ive never seen a defencmen prospect like that before.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:
The fact that Phaneuf has dominated the way he has and put up about 25-30 mins per game (not withstanding the 10 min misconduct, which was bogus anyway) puts him ahead. Meszaros is good, but he isn't of Phanuefs caliber at this point.
I'm glad you mentione dthat misconduct... do you think they simply didnt wnat the game to get out of hand considering the score? I dont get how they can call that hit to the head when his hands are down.. my concerns werent so much for this game.. but it could affect his game in the medal rounds.. ie if he doesnet know what will get called.. he will ease up.

Nimrods Son

Phaneuf is definately a dirty player - he will be great in Calgary. I'm so glad we drafted this guy.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Nimrods Son said:
Phaneuf is definately a dirty player - he will be great in Calgary. I'm so glad we drafted this guy.
Depends on your definition of dirty... mena streak perhaps... but then he's doing his job.... he dindt have a penalty yet in the world juniors until todays hit... wich looked very legal to me....now shea weber seems a bit more dirty.. with the few cross checks ive seen.

Nimrods Son

Lots of Phaneufs checks are a bit high - he won't be able to do that stuff on guys like Naslund and Kariya, when he gets to the NHL. He's able to take care of himself in the WHL, but a 20 year old kid going up against Jody Shelley, Peter Worrell, or Wade Brookbank is a different story.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I think Phaneuf is grounded enough to know that he can't go after the NHL superstars, despite Pierre McGuire saying, "He's an equal opportunity hitter," every time Phaneuf lays someone out

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Phaneuf is Phaneuf. However, no one projected Meszaros to adjust this well to the North American style of play, this quickly. What a find by the Sens.

Redden - Chara
Phillips - Meszaros
Volchenkov - Pothier / etc.

Is going to be a great d-pairing. There are alot of great up and coming d-groups. Sharks, Flames, and Predators.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
kmad said:
I think Phaneuf is grounded enough to know that he can't go after the NHL superstars, despite Pierre McGuire saying, "He's an equal opportunity hitter," every time Phaneuf lays someone out

you never know.... i always thought someone would someday kill Ulf samuelsson for some of the crap he got away with.... but that never stopped him lol

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As far as Phaneuf throwing hits, he'll throw hits and he'll take his lumps. He knows that if he throws big hits on star players, then there'll be repurcussions. I don't think Phaneuf would have a problem owning up to it and dropping the gloves.

As for Phaneuf and Meszaros, tough call--both are very good young players. I'd give the edge to Phaneuf, but Meszaros has been great as well.

~Canucklehead~

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Back on topic.

Both have been great this season in the WHL and in this tournament (well, I only saw Meszaros in the one game so far against Canada, but he was good then, his stats are good, and I've seen him every game for Vancouver this year).

Meszaros has adjusted flawlessly to the North American game, and has really improved his physical game (apparently at least - people say he wasn't physical in Slovakia, but he sure is now). Like Phaneuf, Meszaros really looks like he's ready to take the next step to a higher level right now.

Phaneuf is the better hitter of the two, but I would say Meszaros has maybe the best first pass I've seen in the entire WHL this year. Phaneuf's positioning and fundamentals are probably also better than Meszaros', but Meszaros I think is slightly faster, although both are very strong and quick on their skates as well as being laterally mobile and agile. Both have great shots, and both are good power play quarterbacks, although I think Meszaros projects as a better puck mover while Phaneuf will be more of the big point shot presence.

In the end, I would give a slight edge to Phaneuf now, and a slightly bigger edge to Phaneuf long term, but both of them really look like they're going to be quality NHL defensemen.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Greg7 said:
Back on topic.

Both have been great this season in the WHL and in this tournament (well, I only saw Meszaros in the one game so far against Canada, but he was good then, his stats are good, and I've seen him every game for Vancouver this year).

Meszaros has adjusted flawlessly to the North American game, and has really improved his physical game (apparently at least - people say he wasn't physical in Slovakia, but he sure is now). Like Phaneuf, Meszaros really looks like he's ready to take the next step to a higher level right now.

Phaneuf is the better hitter of the two, but I would say Meszaros has maybe the best first pass I've seen in the entire WHL this year. Phaneuf's positioning and fundamentals are probably also better than Meszaros', but Meszaros I think is slightly faster, although both are very strong and quick on their skates as well as being laterally mobile and agile. Both have great shots, and both are good power play quarterbacks, although I think Meszaros projects as a better puck mover while Phaneuf will be more of the big point shot presence.

In the end, I would give a slight edge to Phaneuf now, and a slightly bigger edge to Phaneuf long term, but both of them really look like they're going to be quality NHL defensemen.
I would agree on that. Where did you hear that he had a weak physical game in Slovakia? He has been a beast for the Giants. It is utterly astounding how he made the jump from Europe to the tough WHL so flawlessly, and dominating games at times. Phaneuf has more gamebreaker potential imo, but Meszaros definitley isn't far behind...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
Keep the discussion on Meszaros/Phaneuf. No Calgary/VAN trashing or the thread will get closed.
Yea, sorry about that, got a bit carried away. Just don't like lowblows against my team. Anyways, back to discussion.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
Phaneuf by far over Meszaros, not even close IMO. I haven't been that impressed with Meszaros in the two games that I have seen him play live. He will get his head kicked in if he continues to act cocky the way he does.

Skill wise Phaneuf has more to bring to the table.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nimrods Son said:
Lots of Phaneufs checks are a bit high - he won't be able to do that stuff on guys like Naslund and Kariya, when he gets to the NHL. He's able to take care of himself in the WHL, but a 20 year old kid going up against Jody Shelley, Peter Worrell, or Wade Brookbank is a different story.
We hear this about every physical player. I'm sure Phaneuf will get away with it just as much as Regher has.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I choose Phaneuf over Meszaros, although I still think that Dion Phaneuf looks awkward as hell carrying the puck/playing the puck. He just does not seem comfortable. Something looks odd, that's all. It just seems like he's always hunched over in an unnatural position or something. Maybe his stick is shorter or something, I don't know.

Mesz is, in my opinion, a better all around offensive player. However, his defensive play and physicality are dwarfed by Phaneuf. But Phaneuf continues to put up the offensive stats at every stage of his career, so whatever he does, it works.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Meszaros looks like he could be a stronger, meaner Andrei Markov with some work.

That's very, very good if it happens.

I agree with Matt up to a point. I don't like Phaneuf when he's got the puck unless it's in the offensive zone. Then it becomes really, really good. Otherwise it's a little awkward (although it has improved). Phaneuf has awesome upside, has developed beyond what I hoped and is going to do Calgary a lot of good paired with a guy who can complement him.

I have to go with Phaneuf anyway. He's the best D prospect currently.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
triggrman said:
We hear this about every physical player. I'm sure Phaneuf will get away with it just as much as Regher has.

Now that you mention it, wouldn't that be an extremely difficult pairing to play against? Regher - Phaneuf, whether you go to the right or left you are probably gonna get beat up pretty bad on the boards and in the corners!! Nice! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad