Meszaros and Sekera

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
(I dont know if this was posted before)

Its official. Meszaros is going to play in the WHL next year.

Source: http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?clanok=30584

Its been debated for long but now its official (maybe it was before known but it wasnt official). I dont think its a good step by him. I think he should have rather stayed in the Slovak League where he will play against men rather than the WHL.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ducla Trencin is sort of funny. It's arguably the best developmental program in Europe (look at the NHLers that have come out of there), and yet a lot of their players seem to come over to North America pretty early. It wouldn't surprise me if Meszaros got some advice on this from Chara, Svehla, or someone else connected to the team.

Man, Vancouver is going to be scary next year. With Brule, Meszaros, and Schwarz, they could possibly have the best forward, defenseman, and goaltender in the WHL.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I wonder what numbers Meszaros will put up next year. The WHL isn't a bad league for developing defensemen, so him leaving the Slovakien elite league isn't that big of a blow to his development.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Svehla is a part owner of Dukla, as is Demitra.. He surely got some advice from them. I think he got advice from a lot of players. We will see how he develops.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
Epsilon said:
Ducla Trencin is sort of funny. It's arguably the best developmental program in Europe (look at the NHLers that have come out of there), and yet a lot of their players seem to come over to North America pretty early. It wouldn't surprise me if Meszaros got some advice on this from Chara, Svehla, or someone else connected to the team.

Man, Vancouver is going to be scary next year. With Brule, Meszaros, and Schwarz, they could possibly have the best forward, defenseman, and goaltender in the WHL.

They are one of the memorial cup favorites for sure.

db23

Giants had Andrew Ladd as well, until they gave him away for nothing prior to last season. :shakehead

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
12# Peter Bondra said:

Its been debated for long but now its official (maybe it was before known but it wasnt official). I dont think its a good step by him. I think he should have rather stayed in the Slovak League where he will play against men rather than the WHL.

While playing against men iin Slovakia, he will be playing in the very physical WHL, and he will learn the North American game that much quicker. I think this is a ver good move for him, especially when you think that he has proven that he can play with the big guys back home, as he proved by playing on the World Chanpionship team this past year. The point is, had he stayed home and played well, the question then becomes, can he play the NHL style game? Can he make the transition? I say let's see it now! Good for him, and best of luck!

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
db23 said:
Giants had Andrew Ladd as well, until they gave him away for nothing prior to last season. :shakehead
Yes, because he showed absolutely no signs of becoming anything when he was Giants property. He came out of nowhere to star for Calgary last year. Hindsight is 20/20, and the Giants are doing just fine without him.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
As a Buffalo fan, I would have liked Sekera to maybe play in Slovakia one more year.

From what I've read he just started to develop a physical game with a bit of a mean streak. At just under 6' 0", I'd hate for him to come to the OHL and get his teeth pounded into his throat by some goon and start playing like Tom Poti because he's scared to get mugged again.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I have no problem with him coming over here to learn the game, heck i even think it will help him out in the long run. Hossa and Chara both played their junior hockey over here, and had a chance to learn our systems. It may have the same affect for him that it did for those two. If nothing else, we will see if his style of play can handle a more physical league, and whether or not he can play both ends effectively while being harrassed.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Would not he become a UFA if he is not signed in 2 years if he plays in NA? Could that be a reason to come over?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
shveik said:
Would not he become a UFA if he is not signed in 2 years if he plays in NA? Could that be a reason to come over?

No, he would not become a UFA, he would reenter the draft if not signed. The CHL rule applies to all that play in the CHL.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
montreal said:
No, he would not become a UFA, he would reenter the draft if not signed. The CHL rule applies to all that play in the CHL.

I am not totally sure, I think the CBA simply states that the players has to play at least one year professionally in North America (CHL counts) before the age of 20.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there are no time frames (ie. not signed in two years - they become a UFA OR re-enter the draft) placed on any players drafted out of Europe.

In other words, they're owned by their drafted team until they release/trade/etc them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Epsilon said:

That's very true, but consider this: If Ovechkin jumped to the WHL whatever team he was on would instantly have the best forward (Ovechkin), defenseman (Ovechkin), and goaltender (Ovechkin) in the WHL.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
My Slovakian is awful....

12# Peter Bondra said:

Can anyone confirm how this article translates to English? As far as I can tell regarding Sekera, all it mentions is that he was selected by Owen Sound with a pick traded to them from Belleville. I'm not sure that this confirms his move to the OHL next season, but more is a remark of his selection in CHL import draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fleury14 said:
I'm pretty sure there are no time frames (ie. not signed in two years - they become a UFA OR re-enter the draft) placed on any players drafted out of Europe.

In other words, they're owned by their drafted team until they release/trade/etc them.

Exactly. They own their rights until they are something like 31 or something.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
KrisBaker said:
Can anyone confirm how this article translates to English? As far as I can tell regarding Sekera, all it mentions is that he was selected by Owen Sound with a pick traded to them from Belleville. I'm not sure that this confirms his move to the OHL next season, but more is a remark of his selection in CHL import draft.

It was listed as a confirmed transfer on eurohockey.net earlier this week and that is a pretty credible source for euro league signings/departures.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
KrisBaker said:
It says that Sekera is going to play in Canada next season for sure in the OHL or where he is going to play.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
12# Peter Bondra said:
It says that Sekera is going to play in Canada next season for sure in the OHL or where he is going to play.

Excellent....thanks for the info, guys.

Good news to receive confirmation that he's hungry enough to make the move and further adapt his game. Too bad it's like 4 hours from where I live to Owen Sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad