Messier admits the 1994 Cup winning goal wasn't his

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Does this finally put your we should have kept Amonte theory ?

I never had an Amonte theory. I understood why that deal was done. The Rangers wanted to get bigger and tougher for their playoff run and that absolutely mattered as well as Noonan could kill penalties. They could put Noonan and Matteau in situations that they couldn't play Amonte in. And Amonte's offensive abilities were more of a superfluous thing to the team at the time. The bigger offensive loss going into the playoffs was Gartner. I didn't quite understand that one until I found out later from various sources that Keenan didn't like him. He didn't like Amonte either, or James Patrick or Darren Turcotte......and he didn't like Brian Leetch for a while either.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I never had an Amonte theory. I understood why that deal was done. The Rangers wanted to get bigger and tougher for their playoff run and that absolutely mattered as well as Noonan could kill penalties. They could put Noonan and Matteau in situations that they couldn't play Amonte in. And Amonte's offensive abilities were more of a superfluous thing to the team at the time. The bigger offensive loss going into the playoffs was Gartner. I didn't quite understand that one until I found out later from various sources that Keenan didn't like him. He didn't like Amonte either, or James Patrick or Darren Turcotte......and he didn't like Brian Leetch for a while either.

My bad. Which poster had the hold Amonte theory?

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
A friend of mine is a Rangers fan and was at that game sitting about 15 rows from the glass(the non camera side of the ice) and got a good look at it.

It's Graves goal all the way. He is falling and swats the puck with his stick in front of Messier

I've already sat through the Messier vs. Noonan debate long enough.

I REFUSE TO ALLOW YET ANOTHER PARTY TO CLAIM A STAKE IN THIS RANGERS CONTROVERSY

Reactions: Machinehead

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Noonan and Matteau were excellent along the boards. Amonte was an outside player. The teams challenging the Rangers for the Cup --New Jersey, Toronto, Chicago, Boston -- were bigger teams that worried Keenan. Watch that entire postseason. Matteau and Noonan did work on the cycle; drawing penalties and crashing the net. Noonan also was a proven playoff performer. I think it was either 1990 or 1992 when he was one of Chicago's clutch scorers in a deep run.

Amonte never had a great postseason. Big time underachiever. Vanished when it mattered against the Leafs in Round 1 outside of his hat trick in Game 3 or 4. Think that was the last postseason in Chicago Stadium.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I've already sat through the Messier vs. Noonan debate long enough.

I REFUSE TO ALLOW YET ANOTHER PARTY TO CLAIM A STAKE IN THIS RANGERS CONTROVERSY

haha. Fair enough. But I have no dog in the fight and no reason to lie about it. I also seem to remember Fischler talking to Graves where he mentioned it in a joking way and then said Graves was too modest to claim the goal. And he's right

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
haha. Fair enough. But I have no dog in the fight and no reason to lie about it. I also seem to remember Fischler talking to Graves where he mentioned it in a joking way and then said Graves was too modest to claim the goal. And he's right

It's bouncing around in the crease for sure. Noonan makes the play to the net. Graves being knocked to the ice swipes at the puck. That's possible. Messier seems the least likely. I like Noonan the best.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
It's bouncing around in the crease for sure. Noonan makes the play to the net. Graves being knocked to the ice swipes at the puck. That's possible. Messier seems the least likely. I like Noonan the best.

It doesn't matter who scored the goal. Well, let me rephrase that. The only thing that matters is that the Rangers scored the goal. It went in. It wasn't called back for a foot in the crease or goaltender interference.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is one of those things that I never get how people can be so sure of. There are NO definitive looks that can prove or disprove any theory. And there was so much chaos down there that I doubt the players really know either. Which is more or less what Messier said.

But I will say that the least reliable source in this thread is “the guy who saw it live”

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This is one of those things that I never get how people can be so sure of. There are NO definitive looks that can prove or disprove any theory. And there was so much chaos down there that I doubt the players really know either. Which is more or less what Messier said.

But I will say that the least reliable source in this thread is “the guy who saw it live”

What about a guy who knew a guy whose friend new a girl who knew a guy who was at game 1 who knew the guy who went to game 7?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Sounds like he says that he has no idea whether he hit the puck or not, but it looks like it should have been Noonan's goal. That's not a definitive statement of him saying he saw Noonan hit it. Just that it was chaos around the net, he's not 100% sure what happened from his first hand experience of it, but the replay seems to show that he never got a stick on it. Doesn't really change much except Messier himself thinking that he probably did not score it.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Sounds like he says that he has no idea whether he hit the puck or not, but it looks like it should have been Noonan's goal. That's not a definitive statement of him saying he saw Noonan hit it. Just that it was chaos around the net, he's not 100% sure what happened from his first hand experience of it, but the replay seems to show that he never got a stick on it. Doesn't really change much except Messier himself thinking that he probably did not score it.

We still get to keep the cup right?

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
My friend is the biggest Messier fan and he swears his life Graves gets that with his stick as he's falling. Saw it happen live. The delay and the timing of it going through McLeans points to this as well
That’s interesting because I have a friend who says the same thing..got to watch it again lol

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The two plays I find that don't get talked about enough from that game was Bure early on playing keepaway around the net and then sliding the puck right across the entire goal line, and then in the 3rd Lowe hit the post. You hear about all the Canucks posts but that one gets forgotten

Also it's incredible looking at Kirk McLean now and the tiny pads he wore. He looked like a skater with a goalie helmet and glove. I sort of forgot just how easy a standup goaltender can make it look when he's on.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The two plays I find that don't get talked about enough from that game was Bure early on playing keepaway around the net and then sliding the puck right across the entire goal line, and then in the 3rd Lowe hit the post. You hear about all the Canucks posts but that one gets forgotten

Also it's incredible looking at Kirk McLean now and the tiny pads he wore. He looked like a skater with a goalie helmet and glove. I sort of forgot just how easy a standup goaltender can make it look when he's on.

I miss the kick save robberies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Noonan and Matteau were excellent along the boards. Amonte was an outside player. The teams challenging the Rangers for the Cup --New Jersey, Toronto, Chicago, Boston -- were bigger teams that worried Keenan. Watch that entire postseason. Matteau and Noonan did work on the cycle; drawing penalties and crashing the net. Noonan also was a proven playoff performer. I think it was either 1990 or 1992 when he was one of Chicago's clutch scorers in a deep run.

Amonte never had a great postseason. Big time underachiever. Vanished when it mattered against the Leafs in Round 1 outside of his hat trick in Game 3 or 4. Think that was the last postseason in Chicago Stadium.

This is fair. Gartner for Anderson made less sense.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Finally we can lay this to rest: it was Noonan or Graves.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Finally we can lay this to rest: it was Noonan or Graves.

I’m don’t think “I didn’t even know if I did hit the puck, didn’t hit the puck. Probably Noonan should’ve gotten credit” is a statement to lay this to rest.

The thread title is very misleading to what he actually said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad