Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
For those who are not: 1)RM fans 2)Barca fans 3)Portugal fans 4)Argentina fans:

Isn't it a completely fair opinion to hold that Messi was the superior player until about 3-4 years ago when CR7 passed him?
I disagree.

Messi is a natural talent, Ronaldo is the perfectionist.

Ronaldo is a grade 1 poacher with incredible goal scoring talent. Messi is a creator with incredible finishing skills.

Personally I view Messi as more important to a team than Cristiano. That being said Ronaldo is the best player in the world at scoring goals.

I do believe Real Madrid would still be dominant without Ronaldo but I cannot say the same with Barcelona without Messi.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I agree that saying one is significantly better than the other is dumb, as they are both among the greatest players ever.

However, I don't see a problem with saying that Messi is "clearly" better. It's like saying 101 inches is clearly larger than 100 inches. It's close, but it shouldn't be up for debate if you actually watch both players.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I agree that saying one is significantly better than the other is dumb, as they are both among the greatest players ever.

However, I don't see a problem with saying that Messi is "clearly" better. It's like saying 101 inches is clearly larger than 100 inches. It's close, but it shouldn't be up for debate if you actually watch both players.

Correct.

The only thing I like about this poll is that it reminds me (once again) how people differ. I find it quite astonishing (and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way) that anyone can think Ronaldo is/was better. To use your definition he clearly isn't/wasn't.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Correct.

The only thing I like about this poll is that it reminds me (once again) how people differ. I find it quite astonishing (and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way) that anyone can think Ronaldo is/was better. To use your definition he clearly isn't/wasn't.

Cristiano is winning the poll.
I dont even...

Reactions: les Habs

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I disagree.

Messi is a natural talent, Ronaldo is the perfectionist.

Ronaldo is a grade 1 poacher with incredible goal scoring talent. Messi is a creator with incredible finishing skills.

Personally I view Messi as more important to a team than Cristiano. That being said Ronaldo is the best player in the world at scoring goals.

I do believe Real Madrid would still be dominant without Ronaldo but I cannot say the same with Barcelona without Messi.
I will also point out that if Higuain did not choke on his chance in the world cup final and if Eder did not score his fabulous goal at the euro final nobody would say that Messi is choker and Ronaldo the most clutch player ever.

I believe Ronaldo portugal were very fortunate to win the last euro, while Messi won the World Cup MVP and his team could not help win the most important game. It does not reflect their actual talent.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I will also point out that if Higuain did not choke on his chance in the world cup final and if Eder did not score his fabulous goal at the euro final nobody would say that Messi is choker and Ronaldo the most clutch player ever.

I believe Ronaldo portugal were very fortunate to win the last euro, while Messi won the World Cup MVP and his team could not help win the most important game. It does not reflect their actual talent.

It's basically the same thing as "Lebron is 3-6 in finals, Jordan is 6-0." Some people not only use team achievements to back up their baseless arguments about individual players, but also manipulate the stats to make us forget that Jordan lost in the 1st or 2nd round many times.

Edit: The Ronaldo 2016 Euro win actually reminds me of Brian Scalabrine's interview after the 2008 NBA finals. Scalabrine didn't play at all in the finals and then during his post-game interview said something like "In 5 years, no one will remember that I didn't play. In 10 years, I'll still be a champion. In 20 years, I'll tell my kids I started. And in 30 years, I'll tell them I won the MVP."

That's how Ronaldo fans remember the 2016 Euros, except it's only 2 years later.

Last edited:

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
1 point i wanna make. You take Messi off Argentina its still a fairly good team you take CR7 of Portugal its Avg at best. In 4 yrs when players like fernandes Guedes and martins develop a little more itll be different but right now Avg.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
1 point i wanna make. You take Messi off Argentina its still a fairly good team you take CR7 of Portugal its Avg at best. In 4 yrs when players like fernandes Guedes and martins develop a little more itll be different but right now Avg.

Yeah I don’t agree with that. Argentina is a mess right now and their attack on paper is fantastic, but the rest of the team is pretty mehhh to me.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Is this the brazilian Ronaldo? Because then I could see why the poll is so close. Otherwise this is Messi all the way. He plays a better overall game and also scores just as much if not more, usually.

This poll is showing you the ways of people...very knee jerky reactions. What have you done for me lately.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Some People have selective and short memory.

Some others just don’t watch football.

Messi is the most talented football player the game has ever witnessed. I doubt we will ever see someone like him in our lifetime.

Ronaldo is a lethal goal scorer and makes the best if what is being served to him but not comparable to Messi.

Yup. He's a better Suarez.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
You're taking the analogy too literally, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Ronaldo fan. But please continue to think that Ronaldo's cheerleading won them that game too.

Are you ok? You seem very aggressive over this. Its just a discussion and a simple disagreement.
I was simply pointing out he started and played. So in 10-30 years he can say he started. He can say he played. He won't be telling a white lie like the man you quoted.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

You take messi off that team and they don't even come close to qualifying for the WC

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Would also like to say that while I think Ronaldo is a better player has nothing to do with Portugal winning the Euros. That's a silly argument. If Messi won the Copa with Argentina I wouldn't say hey hes the best because he won a cup with Argentina. The real GOAT do the business at the WORLD CUP, Champions League and top 3 leagues in the world. Neither player have won the WC.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
He's not just a champion, he's the only reason they won! If he wasn't so alpha they would've just forfeited when he was subbed off.

Stop posting such sarcastic responses if you want to continue debating with me. I won't continue this if all you're going to do is post sarcastic nonsense.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I mean. Regarding national team tournaments...
Are people really just dense, or deliberately ignoring the actual events in order to further their agenda?

Let's make something clear... Portugal had no business winning the EURO, and Argentina had no business being in the final in 2014.

But before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, while both Ronaldo and Messi did their part and were integral in those runs, neither was THE reason why their side made it that far (nor was Messi the reason why Argentina lost).

Argentina scored a grand total of TWO goals in 4 knockout matches. Messi assisted on one and that was it - but he was far from some sort of a non-factor.
He did what he could under the circumstances.
Thing is, they conceded ONE goal in those 4 games (the ET Götze winner).
They had some luck in the draw (an ordinary Swiss side, a horribly-coached Belgium squad, and the aging Holland who barely scraped by Costa Rica).

Portugal conceded ZERO goals in the 4 knockout matches in EURO 2016.
They scored 4 goals, and Ronaldo helped decide two games (vs Croatia and vs Wales). He did what he could under the circumstances, and was integral to the Portugal squad. But like with Messi in 2014, had Portugal lost the final, only fools would be blaming Ronaldo.
They had some luck with the draw (horribly-coached Croatia, ordinary Poland, a one-off Welsh squad).

Both of these teams grinded their way to the finals with defensive football, looking for moments of brilliance from Cristiano and Messi.
They were their teams best players, and they were the biggest contributors, but they are not why their teams won.
They conceded a combined 1 goal in 8 games. That's why both those two teams were in the finals in 2014 and 2016 (and Cristiano and Messi did their part to help their teams get there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->