Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Cristiano Ronaldo, not even close. Messi has 0 goals while Ronaldo is already on 4. Ronaldo dominates these games while Messi does absolutely nothing. Difference in clutch ability is significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliman

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Cristiano Ronaldo, not even close. Messi has 0 goals while Ronaldo is already on 4. Ronaldo dominates these games while Messi does absolutely nothing. Difference in clutch ability is significant.
Based on what? One tournament they both played two games. Messi is constantly swarmed by atleast 3 or 4 opponents soon so he touches the ball. I dont see the same treatment for Ronaldo. If Messi was give the same time and space he would be dominating. It's too bad that opponents of Argentinia are willing assign more coverage to Messi because they know other players are just not going to deliver. There was no other threat in the last contest.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Wasn't too long ago when Ronaldo was viewed as being an underachiever for his national team...

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Serious? Random dude off the internet phrased his opinion in 3 paragraphs and you link it here as consensus?

On the other hand, Cristiano Ronaldo, for all his greatness, has NO individual achievements of any kind in the world cup. Inferior doesn’t even come close to describe Cristiano Ronaldo’s achievements compared to that of ‘El Fenomeno’.

Well, let's just delete all non-Brazilians, Spaniards, Germans and Argentinians from the discussion then.
The line of reasoning is so ridiculous it's not worth discussing.
George Weah never even qualified for the WC, what a loser. Shevchenko never got past the quarters in WC or the EURO, waste of a player. Modric never won a EURO or WC, another loser.

Here are the highest goal totals for R9, a brilliant player in his own right: 47, 34, 31, 30, 24, 23.
And here's Cristiano, and just to be clear, he's won 5 CLs and a EURO, so I guess he does have some team accomplishments: 61, 60, 55, 53, 51, 51, 44, 44, 42.

Cristiano has 6 seasons where he outscored R9's top season (some of them by a mile), and 10 seasons (so far) where he outscored R9's second best season (again, by a mile).
Winning countless team and individual awards in the Messi-era (including 5, and soon possibly 6 Ballon d'Ors).

I said I wasn't gonna post in this thread, but is the kind of stuff that just hurts my eyes to read.
And the part where the dude goes on about how Cristiano scores against small teams only is hilarious.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The rubbish player carried the all-mighty Argentina to the WC. Being the only player scoring for his side during the whole 2017, and yeah, that's 6 qualifying games.

Wow, scored in two qualifying games out of six for the top-ranked team. Truly the GOAT.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I’m guessing based on this poll Lukaku only needs a couple of more goals to surpass Messi as well. It’s like the world didn’t exist pre-Trump. Or even pre-last two months.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m guessing based on this poll Lukaku only needs a couple of more goals to surpass Messi as well. It’s like the world didn’t exist pre-Trump. Or even pre-last two months.

Tbf that is a logical place to assume the time split happened where our universe spun off from reality.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Based on what? One tournament they both played two games. Messi is constantly swarmed by atleast 3 or 4 opponents soon so he touches the ball. I dont see the same treatment for Ronaldo. If Messi was give the same time and space he would be dominating. It's too bad that opponents of Argentinia are willing assign more coverage to Messi because they know other players are just not going to deliver. There was no other threat in the last contest.

Based on their performances at important games last 7 season. If Messi is constantly swarmed by 3 or 4 opponents he should be able to create ridiculous amount of space for other players like Ronaldo would do. The think is that you can't put too much attention for Ronaldo because other players will burn you while Ronaldo makes them space to do that. That is one think what makes Ronaldo way better than Messi. If you take Messi out of his comfort zone he does absolutely nothing & walks on the field. If you do same for Ronaldo he does create for others with his excellent positioning without even touching the ball.

Ronaldo is playing with way worse team in this competition and destroying Messi at every single area of the game. Messi is excellent player but he is at his best against worse teams and doesn't usually do anything at big games. Ronaldo is at top of his game against best and that makes huge difference.

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Based on their performances at important games last 7 season. If Messi is constantly swarmed by 3 or 4 opponents he should be able to create ridiculous amount of space for other players like Ronaldo would do. The think is that you can't put too much attention for Ronaldo because other players will burn you while Ronaldo makes them space to do that. That is one think what makes Ronaldo way better than Messi. If you take Messi out of his comfort zone he does absolutely nothing & walks on the field. If you do same for Ronaldo he does create for others with his excellent positioning without even touching the ball.

Ronaldo is playing with way worse team in this competition and destroying Messi at every single area of the game. Messi is excellent player but he is at his best against worse teams and doesn't usually do anything at big games. Ronaldo is at top of his game against best and that makes huge difference.

FFS, Argentina is not a much better team than Portugal. I must repeat it again. Messi is the only player that has scored for the team in WC Qualy or WC games for a year and a half. Let that sink in.

And Messi is waking on the field in almost every game at some point, no matter if he plays good or bad, its his way of saving energy and I couldn't care less about it.

You must only turn on at the WC because if you were a RM fan you would know Messi shows up for the big games.

I just should stop alltogether replying to the ignorant posts.

Reactions: Legionnaire

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Any post where I read “it’s not close” I skip. From either side.

For those who are not: 1)RM fans 2)Barca fans 3)Portugal fans 4)Argentina fans:

Isn't it a completely fair opinion to hold that Messi was the superior player until about 3-4 years ago when CR7 passed him?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Isn't it a completely fair opinion to hold that Messi was the superior player until about 3-4 years ago when CR7 passed him?

I'd say he was better by the amount he likely is today, but circumstances have changed and the accolades have since gone Ronaldo's way.
They are both past their prime, just that their "past it, but close to prime" is still miles better than anyone else ever was.
Modric and Kroos replaced Xavi and Iniesta as the world's dominant midfield duo, and all of a sudden RM wins 4 CLs in 5 years - a ridiculous feat, and each one of those season Ronaldo was there, top scoring the competition and knocking in a silly amount of goals in the KO rounds.

So, I'd pick Messi, yes, but Cristiano is the one player in history who is in that special tier.

Also, I have no idea why people have to hate "the other guy" or go down to rather stupid (and untrue) stories about how "the other guy" is not clutch, disappears in big games, etc etc.

They have both broken so many records that it is absolutely hilarious to call them chokers or whatever.
They have won 10 Ballon d'Ors between (likely 11 after this season).
They have won 9 CLs between them.

Calling any of them chokers or downplaying their achievements as ordinary or every day in football shows either ignorance or bias. Or both.

As for their national teams... Portugal fluked into the EURO, but they won it, fair play to them. They're still a very limited team.
We're (Croatia) 5 days removed from beating Messi' Argentina 3-0. Like I said in the thread, I'd take Messi and Aguero on Croatia, literally noone else. It's not a great Argentina squad, they have mediocre defenders and a laughable midfield.
No sane person should be expecting either Cristiano or Messi to carry their NTs to any significant success in this WC.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

It just seems ridiculous to say one is better and "it's not even close" when they've been 1-2 in the world since I can remember. You can absolutely think one is superior, but far superior comes off as a stretch.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It just seems ridiculous to say one is better and "it's not even close" when they've been 1-2 in the world since I can remember. You can absolutely think one is superior, but far superior comes off as a stretch.

Yea, I would never say Messi WAS clearly better or CR7 is NOW clearly better.

I think it's a Magic vs. Bird thing. Many arguments for both.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Maybe, but ultimately he has proven the critics wrong while Messi remains rubbish.
such short memories
Messi led the team to the WC Final 4 years ago, and they may have won it, if not for the wonder-goal by Gotze...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad