Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The disrespect for Michael Carrick bro. :shakehead

Carrick has always been widely underrated since he’s not a typical “English” player. Had they properly utilized him in the mid 2000’s I think England could have made some noise in the national scene.

And fletcher definitely got disrespected there. Fletcher wasn’t some elite world class midfielder but in his prime he was a damn good midfielder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassano

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Throwback to the summer.

Basically all great championship teams had great players. All these arguments with Xavi and Iniesta are weak and uninformed at best. All Ronaldo teams also had some of the greatest players of all time. The team achievement argument is stupid and juvenile.

Ronaldo is better than Messi at multiple things. He is better at penalty, free kicks and headers.

The rest is pretty much all Messi: better dribbler, passer, touches, vision, finishing (yes).

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Basically all great championship teams had great players. All these arguments with Xavi and Iniesta are weak and uninformed at best. All Ronaldo teams also had some of the greatest players of all time. The team achievement argument is stupid and juvenile.

Ronaldo is better than Messi at multiple things. He is better at penalty, free kicks and headers.

The rest is pretty much all Messi: better dribbler, passer, touches, vision, finishing (yes).
I don't think Ronaldo ever had teammates as good as Xavi and Iniesta.

I'll still take Messi though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

That's definitely wrong and penalties is debatable at best. Headers sure but given Messi's height he's actually not bad at them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Ronaldo definitely isn’t better at free kicks. He really dropped off for some reason after he left United.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

Throwback to the summer.

LOL this was the most cringe worthy vid I've ever seen online regarding sports talk that's supposed to be serious. Nothing that comes out of Sid's mouth should ever be taken seriously again after he called Messi of all ppl "a fraud." This dudes Portuguese so it's pretty natural that he'd show favoritism towards CR7 since he is Portugal's greatest athlete.

Also, his points are super weak. R0naldo has also played on loaded rosters over his career, that's why Real has won 4 of 5 CL Titles since 2014, along with a three-peat since 2016. Real Madrid's roster last year alone had superstar upon superstar, that team included: CR7, Bale, Modric (the Ballon d;'or winner), Navas, Ramos, Marcelo, Benzema, Varane, Kroos, Isco, Carvajal, and Asensio.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

No.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Messi finished 2018 with the most goals and assists amongst all players in top 5 European leagues yet he still finished 5th in voting.

The bias against him on international scene is absurd.

I call it taking things for granted. Because he does it regularly they don't give all credit he should be getting. Sure as heck good football fans will miss him when he's gone. I know that as a fan of football and Barça I will. A lot.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Definitely.
CR was better until Messi started taking them. Leo just kept getting better and better at them to the point I would say he is a top-3 FK shooter right now and I struggle to pick anyone over him if I have to take a FK

This is pretty much spot on.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Carrick has always been widely underrated since he’s not a typical “English” player. Had they properly utilized him in the mid 2000’s I think England could have made some noise in the national scene.

And Fletcher. Fletcher wasn’t some elite world class midfielder but in his prime he was a damn good midfielder.
I'm not sure Darren Fletcher would have been much of a help to the England national team

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Messi finished 2018 with the most goals and assists amongst all players in top 5 European leagues yet he still finished 5th in voting.

The bias against him on international scene is absurd.
On top of goals and assists, he also led the five major European football leagues in points, key passes, dribbles, free kicks scored, chances created and goals scored outside the box. He also missed like 3 weeks with an arm injury too! Overall, Messi's ability to dominate games is truly reminiscent and comparable to the way Gretzky and Mario used to take over

He also played well at the CL, Roma just happened to make a comeback for the ages or else Barca would’ve had a shot at winning another title. The only “hole” in Messi’s 2018 year was his WC performance but cmon that was literally 4 games in a 4-week tournament that happens once every four years. Bottom line, the Ballon D’or rankings was a joke

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Even about that "hole". He was the best Argentina player against France, even with Matuidi and Kante on his back all game long.
Scored more goals than all of Uruguay, Belgium and Croatia combined. Hell you can add Peru/Denmark too.

All this without a striker and coaching apparently. :)

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Another common argument against Messi is that he's only played in Barca, which I think is pretty asinine. Just because one player plays out their whole career on one team doesn't make them a system player, or in this case, a less proven player, at all. If that's the case then other superstar athletes like Tom Brady, Sidney Crosby, Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki are also "system players" since they all found success and stuck with one team for their entire careers.

Secondly, Messi's CL resume is loaded. He holds the all time record for GPG in CL play, as in 129 games, he's scored 106 goals against Europe's greatest teams across all leagues, and many of them include the top teams from the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. He also has the most goals in El Clasico history which means he's dominated the most decorated franchise in both Euro football history and over the last few years.

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Overall, fans of team sports have really weird ideologies towards the athletes:

If a player stays loyal to a team and win there, fans will call them a system player who was in a good situation

If a player stays loyal to a team that never wins, fans will use the "0 titles/cups/rings" phrase against that player at every opportunity

If a player leaves a team to join another one for the greater good of their OWN career, fans will say stuff like "traitor" "snake" and "meaningless rings" towards them

It's a good thing they're making all that $$$ cuz I can't imagine having millions of ppl who don't even know me personally, attack me online just for making my own career pathway choices at every turn

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad