Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
What a time to make this thread... CR7 having so far his best WC ever and Messi having so far his worst WC ever.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Fickle indeed when even some supposed Barca fans are turning. Here’s a quote from a huge Barca “fan” forum.

Facts:

Champions League Quarterfinal to Final Goals, last 7 seasons:

Cristiano Ronaldo (30)
Lewandowski (10)
Muller (9)
Neymar 8)
Mandzukic (7)
Robben, Suarez (6)
Benzema, Sergio Ramos, Griezmann, Messi (5)

Messi in his last 5 world cup games:

2014 QF vs Belgium
2014 SF vs Holland
2014 Final vs Germany

2018 vs Iceland
2018 vs Croatia

Combined: 0 goals, 0 assists.

Yet people will be called trolls and will be called on to be banned for pointing out things that are simple to see.

His performance in the big matches have dropped drastically in recent years.

Can't blame his teammates and coaches every single time.

10 - Lionel Messi - Page 948

Reactions: Asiantuntija

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You watch them play head2head and Messi almost always comes out on top. He'll regret choosing Argentina over Spain because if he chose the latter, there will be no doubt on who the GOAT would be.

Reactions: Ceremony

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Messi is better on the domestic level, while Ronaldo has opened a lot of eyes with his pure dominance thus far in WC 2018 and Euros 2016 on the international stage. Rate them as you will.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
In Barcelona's system, I'll take Messi. Any other team and it's Ronaldo pretty easily, especially the last 4 years. Ronaldo is proving on the world stage that he's the best in the world currently. For whatever reason Messi is walking around the field doing nothing to help his team. Everyone is taking notice and all of the GOAT talk is rightfully disappearing. While Ronaldo is singlehanded carrying a worse team. Pretty easy answer to this, as Ronaldo is about to win his 3rd straight Ballon dor all over the age of 30

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Should put C.Ronaldo in the thread title because Ronaldo de Lima is better than both.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Should put C.Ronaldo in the thread title because Ronaldo de Lima is better than both.

Yeah, no.
R9's best season gets blown away by Cristiano and Messi's 7 or 8 seasons.
And R9's second best season gets blown away by Cristiano and Messi's pretty much every season.

Reactions: Hadoop

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Without judging one way or another here, but it's a bit ironic when those who call Messi and Ronaldo 1 and 2 all-time accuse others of having a short memory when Messi's predecessor himself was one of the technically most talented players ever witnessed. Sure, longevity plays a factor but damn, Ronaldinho was something to behold during his peak and hasn't even been out of the game for THAT long.

But,it's par for the course on hfboards where memory only serves as far back as maybe 5 years.

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch Maradona play and a lot of people here are selling him short. Whether it's because he is an unlikable character, I don't know. But as witnessed in another thread, more often than not Messi gets a pass when he tries to dribble through 4-5 players when in reality the simple pass would have been the smarter and more effective route.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Without judging one way or another here, but it's a bit ironic when those who call Messi and Ronaldo 1 and 2 all-time accuse others of having a short memory when Messi's predecessor himself was one of the technically most talented players ever witnessed. Sure, longevity plays a factor but damn, Ronaldinho was something to behold during his peak and hasn't even been out of the game for THAT long.

But,it's par for the course on hfboards where memory only serves as far back as maybe 5 years.

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch Maradona play and a lot of people here are selling him short. Whether it's because he is an unlikable character, I don't know. But as witnessed in another thread, more often than not Messi gets a pass when he tries to dribble through 4-5 players when in reality the simple pass would have been the smarter and more effective route.

Maradona's legacy is one fantastic tournament and his Napoli stint (in which he never won the EC/CL btw).

His peak, his career is absolutely dwarfed by Messi and Cristiano. He never separated himself from his peers on such a level for so long.
And while he was busy failing at Barcelona, Platini was dominating at Juve - and still people are so seduced by that one 1986 tournament that they completely ignore that on the whole, Maradona's (club) career left so much to be desired. Not just in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo, but other players like Platini, Cruyff, etc.

And please don't give me that "short memory" mumbo jumbo, I've played, watched and studied much more football than I should've.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
What means the best player ?
most talented ? Messi.
best impact on the game ? Messi
Helps the team to win : the question is open. and Messi Ronaldo could be the right debate.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Messi should be fresh for the last game. Yet to run 8k in a game in the WC.

Not sure what is wrong with him, but something is. Fair criticism to say he hasn’t got Ronaldo’s mentality (very few do). Doesn’t mean much in the bigger picture though.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Maradona's legacy is one fantastic tournament and his Napoli stint (in which he never won the EC/CL btw).

Yet we are told we cannot measure Messi's greatness on his lack of World Cup trophies.

His peak, his career is absolutely dwarfed by Messi and Cristiano. He never separated himself from his peers on such a level for so long.
And while he was busy failing at Barcelona, Platini was dominating at Juve - and still people are so seduced by that one 1986 tournament that they completely ignore that on the whole, Maradona's (club) career left so much to be desired. Not just in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo, but other players like Platini, Cruyff, etc.

Maradona was Napoli's Messi. Comparing Napoli to Barca or Real Madrid isn't exactly a fair comparison. Before and since Maradona Napoli hasn't exactly been a juggernaut, unlike Barcelona and Real Madrid (or Juve). The latter will all be fine when Ronaldo/Messi retire.
As for individual honors... well it does help when you spend your whole career in Europe (CR7, MS) as opposed to only half your career.
I'm still taking Pele as numero uno overall though.

And please don't give me that "short memory" mumbo jumbo, I've played, watched and studied much more football than I should've.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Some People have selective and short memory.

Some others just don’t watch football.

Messi is the most talented football player the game has ever witnessed. I doubt we will ever see someone like him in our lifetime.

Ronaldo is a lethal goal scorer and makes the best if what is being served to him but not comparable to Messi.

Yep. This.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
What exactly makes Messi more talented than R9? Messi obviously had the better career but when talking about raw fotballing ability, what can Messi do out there that R9 could not?

Messi's soccer IQ is through the roof, and that is the biggest skill as far as talent goes. His vision on the field is unparalleled, right there with the best midfielders of all time, and it just so happens that his dribbling and finishing skills are also up there with the best of all time.

You are getting a midfielder with elite offensive skills. No doubt he will finish his career as a midfielder. The chances he creates for his teammates with his runs or some of his out-worldly assists are what separate him from Cristiano.
CR might be a better finisher, but he has no business when we add what Messi creates for his teammates.

I have never seen any player assist the way Messi does, and I've seen plenty of superb players in Barça often like Iniesta, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Ronaldo, etc

Reactions: Suiteness

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Messi's soccer IQ is through the roof, and that is the biggest skill as far as talent goes. His vision on the field is unparalleled, right there with the best midfielders of all time, and it just so happens that his dribbling and finishing skills are also up there with the best of all time.

You are getting a midfielder with elite offensive skills. No doubt he will finish his career as a midfielder. The chances he creates for his teammates with his runs or some of his out-worldly assists are what separate him from Cristiano.
CR might be a better finisher, but he has no business when we add what Messi creates for his teammates.

I have never seen any player assist the way Messi does, and I've seen plenty of superb players in Barça often like Iniesta, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Riquelme, Ronaldo, etc

I'm in the Messi camp, but let's not sell Ronaldo short here.
Over the last few years, he's become much less visually appealing, less dribbles, take-ons, etc. But if anything, he's become more effective, started scoring even more goals, and most importantly, his teams started winning even more.

For me, Messi is #1. The GOAT.
But I do feel the "AINEC" crowd is losing the plot a wee bit. There is only one player that is fairly close to him, and that's Cristiano.

To put it in perspective, by the end of this season, Cristiano might have 6 Ballons to Messi's 5, all 6 won in Messi's era.
Yet there are people (even on this board) who think of Messi as the GOAT, but Ronaldo as "maybe a top-5/top-10" player.

Messi's talent is out of this world, higher than Cristiano's. (much) More talented than any human in history.
But the end results, the actual effectivness on the pitch... That is very, very close; and if anything Cristiano has been on the upswing the last few seasons.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
"Messi is very strong, but he is very strong because he plays with very strong players. If you had a normal team - he concludes - who would you choose, Messi or Ronaldo? »

Spot on. Words and music of an important former player and great Argentine coach.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Maradona is still unreachable for Messi.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'm in the Messi camp, but let's not sell Ronaldo short here.
Over the last few years, he's become much less visually appealing, less dribbles, take-ons, etc. But if anything, he's become more effective, started scoring even more goals, and most importantly, his teams started winning even more.

For me, Messi is #1. The GOAT.
But I do feel the "AINEC" crowd is losing the plot a wee bit. There is only one player that is fairly close to him, and that's Cristiano.

To put it in perspective, by the end of this season, Cristiano might have 6 Ballons to Messi's 5, all 6 won in Messi's era.
Yet there are people (even on this board) who think of Messi as the GOAT, but Ronaldo as "maybe a top-5/top-10" player.

Messi's talent is out of this world, higher than Cristiano's. (much) More talented than any human in history.
But the end results, the actual effectivness on the pitch... That is very, very close; and if anything Cristiano has been on the upswing the last few seasons.

Not selling Cristiano short. He is an all-time great and has had the luck of playing against the best ever, which pushes him to be an even better player. His achievements are unreal and he deserves tons of credit. But if I have to take a player to start my team, I take Messi every day of the year.

By the way, Cristiano has been scoring below his ratio the last 3 seasons (like Messi), however that is still an insanely big ratio. His performances in the UCL have been unreal though.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not selling Cristiano short. He is an all-time great and has had the luck of playing against the best ever, which pushes him to be an even better player. His achievements are unreal and he deserves tons of credit. But if I have to take a player to start my team, I take Messi every day of the year.

By the way, Cristiano has been scoring below his ratio the last 3 seasons (like Messi), however that is still an insanely big ratio. His performances in the UCL have been unreal though.

I take Messi as well.

There's context to the last 2-3 seasons though. Cristiano had bought into Zidane's rotation, went from playing 35-36 games in La Liga to playing 27-29, and more importantly, has been coming into form in the CL at the right time. Like I said, even though I'm camp Messi, there's no denying Cristiano has been on the upswing legacy-wise the last 3 years.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Cristiano Ronaldo is a much better player. It’s easy to see on how he’s able to carry Portugal by himself without having Aguero, Di Maria, Dybala and others beside him.

CR7 is the most complete player in the history of football

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Some People have selective and short memory.

Some others just don’t watch football.

Messi is the most talented football player the game has ever witnessed. I doubt we will ever see someone like him in our lifetime.

Ronaldo is a lethal goal scorer and makes the best if what is being served to him but not comparable to Messi.
Ronaldo is much better because he’s more complete. Can Messi use his strength to outmuscle defenders? Can Messi score headers? No. Ronaldo can do it all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad