Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If I want a goal in the knockout round of the WC, I'd take neither one of these losers. They're 0 for 14. ;)

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's called humor. At age 33 he has 5 Champions titles, 5 Ballon D'Or, 4 European Golden Shoes, 5 league titles, 1 European title, and scored over 670 goals for club and country.
...and? What part of that makes him better than Messi?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Messi IMO. His resume is absolutely loaded.

Individual awards (Domestically), he's already won:
5 Ballon D'Or's (including 4 in a row)
5 European Golden Shoes
4 Onze d'Or's
7 La Liga Player of the Year Awards
7 La Liga Best Forward Awards
2009 UEFA Club Footballer/Forward of the Year
2 FIFA Club World Cup Golden Balls
2 FIFA Club World Cup MVP's
3 UEFA Player of the Year Awards
5 La Liga goal scoring titles
4 La Liga assists leaders
5 Copa del Rey goal scoring titles
2 Copa del Rey assists leaders
5 Champions League goal scoring titles
2 Champions League assists leaders
2011 Champions League Finals MVP/Man of the Match
12 FIFA World Starting XI Selections
638 goals in 785 games played (0.81 GPG)
902 points in 785 games played (1.15 PPG)

Team Success (Domestically):
4 Champions League Titles
9 La Liga Titles
6 Copa del Rey Titles
7 Supercopa de Espana Titles
3 UEFA Super Cups
3 FIFA Club World Cup Titles
2 Trebles
33 total trophies won

Internationally:
2014 World Cup Runner-Up + Tournament MVP/Golden Ball
3 Copa America Runners-Up + 2015 Tourney MVP/Golden Ball
2008 Olympic Gold Medal

All Time Records:
Most goals scored in La Liga history with 398
Most goals in a La Liga season with 50
Most goals in a club football season with 73
Most goals in a calendar year with 91 (!!!!!)
Most goals in El Clasico with 27
Most Hat-tricks in the Champions League with 8
Highest career GPG ratio in Champions League history
Most Assists in La Liga and Copa America history
Argentina's all time leading scorer
Barcelona's all time leading scorer
Longest goal scoring streak at 21 cons. games (he scored 33 goals during the 21 game streak)

Messi's stats and accolades are simply unparalleled and even if we disregard all the numbers and just watch him play, it's not difficult to realize how insanely gifted Leo is. He flat out dominates his competition the same way Gretzky and Lemieux did back in the day.

Ronaldo is not too far behind though, as CR7 is a freak of nature as well and is one of very few ppl in football history that can seriously be compared with Messi

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Messi is gonna go down as the GOAT imo, if not he'll AT LEAST be top 2/3

CR7 is a top 5-10 player all time along with the likes of Brazilian Ronaldo, Cruyff, Zidane, Ronaldinho, van Basten, and Plantini

If there's one thing that really seperates CR7 and LM10 from everyone else its their longevity in dominance. Scariest part is that both Ronaldo and Messi have been dominating for over 10 years now and despite being in their 30's now, neither of them are showing any signs of slowing down anytime soon. I fully expect both of them to keep racking up goals, trophies and individual awards for years to come.

Last edited:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Messi is probably the most naturally gifted footballer of out times and has that edge over CR7. In that sense I would say he’s the better all around footballer, obviously CR7 has the athleticism edge as well as mental edge. With that said, they’re pretty much even in accomplishments and their careers are simply impecable. But CR7 has done it at 2 different clubs. He’s also won an important international tournament for his senior NT.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If I had to demonstrate to someone who the most magical, technically skilled, effortless and visually clearly superior to his peers, I’d say Messi.

If I had to play a final tonight for everything I hold dear in this life, I’d choose Ronaldo.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Really?
Which finals did Ronaldo shine that Messi didn't?
WC final? Ronaldo didn't reach any.
EC/CA final? Ronaldo reached two and played badly in one (loss) and was injured during the second (win).
CL finals? Messi had better showing in CL finals.

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What does it have to do with France?
Portugal played a bad tournament. Should have been out if not for stupid new rule. 3 ties in the group stage for a whopping total of 3 points.
Then completely played off the pitch in the final, which Ronaldo watched from the bench.

And yet he takes credit for this over Messi dragging his team to a WC final and several CA finals?

LOL.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why are you still so bitter about that? You won the WC dude just get over it.... performing you mean like missing a penalty in the Copa America finals? Lol
That never happened he never missed a penalty in the finals. Unless you mean he missed his shot in pks

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
What does it have to do with France? Oh gee I don’t know...perhaps the fact that they beat you in the final and you’ve been obviously butt hurt ever since. You bring up that Portugal team any chance you get to lambast them time and time again. Yet you’re the same guy that was screaming about how Iran deserved to beat Spain and go to the next round bla bla make up your mind...do you like crap football or not????

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What does it have to do with France? Oh gee I don’t know...perhaps the fact that they beat you in the final and you’ve been obviously butt hurt ever since.
Because I'm french I can't evaluate properly that Portugal was awful to watch in 2016?
5 year old logic there.

You bring up that Portugal team any chance you get to lambast them time and time again. Yet you’re the same guy that was screaming about how Iran deserved to beat Spain and go to the next round bla bla make up your mind...do you like crap football or not????
You don't realize the difference?
Portugal had the team to do something else. They had the best player in the competition and talent throughout the lineup. They CHOSE to play the bus.
Iran DIDN'T have the choice. It was their only hope.

The fact you can't see the difference is quite amazing.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Because I'm french I can't evaluate properly that Portugal was awful to watch in 2016?
5 year old logic there.

You don't realize the difference?
Portugal had the team to do something else. They had the best player in the competition and talent throughout the lineup. They CHOSE to play the bus.
Iran DIDN'T have the choice. It was their only hope.

The fact you can't see the difference is quite amazing.

it's only been 3 years but ok.

yes sure I knew you'd fall under that excuse that Iran is a minnow. Heck I actually agree with you there. But so is Portugal compared to France. France was/is the superior team, so why the double standards?
Portugal had the chance to do something? Yes, and they DID hahaha the fact that you're still so obviously upset about that is actually not amazing, knowing the type of poster that you are.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Portugal didn't park the bus only against France.
So again, WTF are you talking about?
They parked the bus in EVERY SINGLE GAME.
Just like Greece in 04. Flukiest tournament win ever.

If you want to blame that on me being sore of France defeat you couldn't be more wrong. But that's obviously easier than to discuss the ineptitude of Portugal during that tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad