Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It's a stupid debate though; as it shouldn't exist even if fanboys are keeping it alive, for now.

That’s different than saying it doesn’t or won’t exixt. I think the Pele/Maradona debate is stupid. In his own era alone, there players I prefer to Maradona. It doesn’t make me angry enough to come to an emotionally based conclusion on it though. There would be zero logical in me saying it doesn’t exist.

Reactions: Suiteness

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s different than saying it doesn’t or won’t exixt. I think the Pele/Maradona debate is stupid. In his own era alone, there players I prefer to Maradona. It doesn’t make me angry enough to come to an emotionally based conclusion on it though. There would be zero logical in me saying it doesn’t exist.

There's a pedantic argument you could make that there is no real debate & this is obvious to almost everyone with any expertise, and so the debate doesn't really exist...regardless of what is pushed by fanboys & press figures looking to fill airtime :dunno:

But I hear what you are saying, though I don't think D2M or the Messi fanboys on here are denying that people talk about these two as if there was a real debate...they just get annoyed at how stupid that is and lash out sometimes.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Believe me I get it. Just because I’m not as emotionally invested in this, doesn’t mean I don’t have my own other hang ups. We all do. And mine blind me to what is obvious to those who aren’t emotionally invested in what I am. It’s like a parent who only sees angels and roses around their child’s aura regardless of what that child may or may not be.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oh Messi has amazing solo runs I won't deny that. But Ronaldo has unparalleled raw power.

Like what bench pressing?

I believe somewhere I said that %99 of the fanboys are like this. Not all. On an individual level, it can never be proven for one person, but as a whole, you can see that it’s just about everyone.

However, the main point is that whoever is that emotionally invested, on either side of the debate, will never, ever see it as being emotional analysis.

And, I’m not unique in my stance. Like I mentioned the social media wars on this subject. For the many, many raging mad, completely out of fan boys on either side, you get the odd comment saying - “I love them both, you idiots are just immature. Just appreciate the show you’re seeing” etc.

As I said it's a baseless accusation. You don't know enough fans from both sides to make such a statement much less have the ability to quantify "insecurity"... be my guest though. Quite comical.

Look. It’s as simple as this. If you’re gonna to deny that the debate will rage, because you really think it shouldn’t, that is an emotional and not logical assessment

People still argue who's better but they don't deserve a response... even though they get one. Similar to the flat earthers.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yes, people debating a Messi/Ronaldo issue are akin to flat earthers. All logic and zero emotion in that statement. Clearly. Obviously, I have no point at all...

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And again. Whether it’s a stupid argument or not isn’t my point. My point is that the argument exists, and it drives people to become emotionally but shit angry. Raging and clenched fists.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes, people debating a Messi/Ronaldo issue are akin to flat earthers. All logic and zero emotion in that statement. Clearly. Obviously, I have no point at all...

I mean if you can't see basic facts what can I tell you? Some just see what they want to see. There is NO valid argument that Ronaldo is better. Messi is the better dribbler, passer,creator,vision and accurate shooter. So, what does Ronaldo have over Lio? Heading and?

Please change my mind.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I mean if you can't see basic facts what can I tell you? Some just see what they want to see. There is NO valid argument that Ronaldo is better. Messi is the better dribbler, passer,creator,vision and accurate shooter. So, what does Ronaldo have over Lio? Heading and?

Please change my mind.

I don’t think you’re understanding me. And the emotion would lead to that. Im not saying, and never will say that Ronaldo is better than Messi. If pressed, I will Messi 100% of the time. I’m saying that despite all you’re pointing out, justified or not, the debate will indeed rage. And some fans just can’t live with that.

I think Messi also feels that an unjust threat to his legacy is being made. It’s not fair. Messi is so much better, that 100% of fans should agree with it. But the look here is -

How dare this player with less than 10% of my natural skill and ability be stealing my awards.

3C4EF70A-23E9-4492-8B5E-17142D99C50F.jpeg

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Please change my mind.
I don't think he's trying to change your mind.

With that said I would say Ronaldo is better off the ball, more flexible, more explosive and has an unparalleled work ethic which allows him to stretch some of the attributes of his that are worse than Messi (which is most of them). His passing, dribbling and chance creation are also at a high level, though obviously not Messi levels.

Again, Ronaldo is better than he is given credit for by 'Messi/Barcelona fans'. He's not as good as 'Ronaldo/RM/MU fans' try to assert. The truth is that Messi is the best player ever, and at the very least the consensus best player of his generation, but Ronaldo is not that far behind, and the comparisons come because of that.

Though this is all moot. Most people who have picked a side at this point are not going to change their minds now.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You are hilarious. I can assure you there's no emotion on my end right now... I couldn't care less about what someone online thinks. As I said there is a debate but there shouldn't be one. I already stated this.

Love that pic and psychoanalysis of Messi as if some off pic is supposed to shed light into his mentality. Where'd you get your PHD? From the same guy that has multiple coaching license across the globe? I'll give you the same advice get your money back.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Like what bench pressing?

Funny. I was thinking more along the lines of he is more likely to overpower a defender with strength and pace down the wing and he also has tremendous abilities in the air, coming out of no where with the headers.

Which I understand is an unfair assessment just based off of height, I just enjoy watching that style more. It's not a knock on Messi. I like watching him too, I really like the way he uses his low center of gravity to help the technical side of his game. His ability to show defenders the ball and then quickly beat them is extremely entertaining.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think he's trying to change your mind.

With that said I would say Ronaldo is better off the ball, more flexible, more explosive and has an unparalleled work ethic which allows him to stretch some of the attributes of his that are worse than Messi (which is most of them). His passing, dribbling and chance creation are also at a high level, though obviously not Messi levels.

Though this is all moot. Most people who have picked a side at this point are not going to change their minds now.

Better off the ball because of his work ethic? Prime Messi pressed and put in work defensively. More than Ronaldo. Plus soccer is played with the ball. In any case, were on the same page Ronaldo isn't messi's peer. So, what are we arguing exactly?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Funny. I was thinking more along the lines of he is more likely to overpower a defender with strength and pace down the wing and he also has tremendous abilities in the air, coming out of no where with the headers.

Which I understand is an unfair assessment just based off of height, I just enjoy watching that style more. It's not a knock on Messi. I like watching him too, I really like the way he uses his low center of gravity to help the technical side of his game. His ability to show defenders the ball and then quickly beat them is extremely entertaining.
Oh if that's your preference more power to you. Some just like inferior things :)

My issue was power and "explosiveness" Ronaldo has neither over Messi. Don't believe me check out the times defenders attempt to knock him off the ball. Case in point the goal against Zargoza. Abilities in the air is another matter entirely. Ronaldo's clearly better at it considering his natural given ability.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Better off the ball because of his work ethic? Prime Messi pressed and put in work defensively. More than Ronaldo. Plus soccer is played with the ball. In any case, were on the same page Ronaldo isn't messi's peer. So, what are we arguing exactly?

Maybe half of the game is played with the ball. A huge aspect of the game is about knowing what to do and where to be when you don’t have the ball. Especially as a goal scorer and poacher.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe half of the game is played with the ball. A huge aspect of the game is about knowing what to do and where to be when you don’t have the ball. Especially as a goal scorer and poacher.

Yup, for one dimensional poachers ala Javier Hernandez, Higuain, Inzaghi or Mueller. Which is why i'll never rate any of them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wasn't talking solely about defensive work. That's not what 'off the ball' means.

"When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not." - Johan Cruyff

This is why a lot of important players, roles and sequences in the game are underappreciated. 'Soccer is played with the ball.'

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I wasn't talking solely about defensive work. That's not what 'off the ball' means.

"When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not." - Johan Cruyff

This is why a lot of important players, roles and sequences in the game are underappreciated. 'Soccer is played with the ball.'
There's a quote somewhere from Cruyff stating shooting is unimportant. Which is one of Ronaldo's best weapons. Regardless, who's Cruyff? He's never even won a WC.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's a quote somewhere from Cruyff stating shooting is unimportant. Which is one of Ronaldo's best weapons. Regardless, who's Cruyff? He's never even won a WC.
Fair enough, Messi and Ronaldo have some good company in that regard.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I was wrong.

Not one post on this page was emotionally driven. Definitely reading them tomorrow or next year will prove that nobody was emotionally invested in the topic when discussing and replying here.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I was wrong.

Not one post on this page was emotionally driven. Definitely reading them tomorrow or next year will prove that nobody was emotionally invested in the topic when discussing and replying here.
My original post was regarding your "messi fans are more insecure" that was the basis...

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
There's a lot of things that are off. Make no mistake, Messi is a goalscorer, and relied on to score goals, just as much as Ronaldo is. He goes about it differently, and he's better at other aspects of the game, but goal scoring is just as much a part of his game. Does Messi shoot as much as Ronaldo? No, but their team structure and tactics are different, and Messi does always lead his team in shots by a fair margin (IIRC, and I haven't done the math on it but as a team Barcelona typically shoot less than Real Madrid, so Messi may actually take a higher percentage of his team's shots than Ronaldo does).

Messi leading his team in shots by any margin or taking a higher percentage of his team's shots is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Shots were a valid point of context in the comparison of their respective goal records and like I said the difference is surely very significant. We're talking in the hundreds here. All you have to do is look at a stats site for one season (though some seasons are closer, but only one player takes more shots) and extrapolate the data.

I don't think it should be applied to either.

Yet you didn't seem to show up until it was applied to Ronaldo, and for the record it was a "strike" against Messi when the topic was first broached, and in doing so you only commented on Messi's respective team's accomplishments. So say whatever you like, but your post was quite clear and your example is there for all to see.

How it is clutching at straws? Busquets/Iniesta/Xavi has an argument for being the best midfield ever. Modric is the only one of Madrid's midfielders over the span that Ronaldo has been there that compares to them. Not only did they have incredible chemistry as a team but they also worked really well within Barcelona's structure and with Messi specifically.

For starters, neither team was just comprised of their respective midfield and one of Ronaldo or Messi. To the midfield point though, Xavi left Barça three years ago and in his final season he was rotated. When Xavi left Iniesta was already 31 and his appearances haven't had consistent minutes based on how he's been rotated/rested for years now. Then you've got the respective benches in recent years. When Barça look to the bench they get to choose from the likes of Gomes or last season Paulinho. Actually Paulinho started as many matches as Isco last season and they played similar minutes. When Madrid have gone to the bench or rotated they had Isco, James Rodriquez and Kovacic. And Madrid have had incredible team chemistry (on the pitch) the past how many seasons.

I've seen you talk plenty about many Madrid players being overrated and Barcelona players being underrated. So are you saying that you think that the Madrid teams that have Ronaldo on them have been better than the Barcelona teams that have had Messi? That doesn't even take into account the coaching, which again has been better (especially from a league perspective) with Barcelona.

First of all, feel free to dig up anything I've said in the past. Just be sure to link it so I can get the full context of the discussion. As for which team was better, I'd say it depends on the season. Either way I don't know that the differences were so big generally that it's that much of an impact. That also doesn't take into account the respective players' roles in those teams. Messi being "relied on to score goals" doesn't mean that he's in a position to be able to score more than Ronaldo. As for the managers, I think we've had better managers, but I wouldn't say it's been a night and day difference during that period.

...and once again, I have never said that it should apply to one and not the other. However, people often talk like Madrid only has one goal and that's to get Ronaldo goals (which obviously isn't true), and act like Messi is somehow part of a team that doesn't use him as the focal point and he's not the main goal scorer (he absolutely is).

As for who it should apply to, see above. Your comments were very clear.

I don't know these people you're referring to when you talk about getting Ronaldo goals. I'd be quite surprised you're encountering all these people with regularity, but then I don't know what you do when you're not on this forum. Messi being the main goalscorer I just touched on and his being relied on to score more goals doesn't mean he's in a better position to do so.

That doesn't change that Messi is the superior player to Ronaldo; that's clear, but people keep using really strange arguments to diminish Ronaldo's accomplishments when, for the most part, a lot of those same arguments used to detract from Ronaldo's stats also apply to Messi.

I find it hilarious that you would post "people keep using really strange arguments to diminish Ronaldo's accomplishments", in this thread of all places, and not say the same for Messi. Then of course you are the one who keeps going on about how you wouldn't apply something to either player and yet only reacting to it being applied to one player by actually using the other player as an example.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

No, football is mostly played OFF the ball. Only one player can have the ball, the other 19 field players play without it.
And yes, this is something that Ronaldo definitely does better than Messi, in fact, as far as attacking movement goes, he probably does it better than anyone in the history of the game.
Zidane's Real Madrid won 3 CLs in a row in large part to near-perfect off-ball movement, opening up passing lanes, clogging up opposition passing lanes etc. Only people who take people on and dribble are Marcelo and Isco, everyone else passes and moves unless they have no other choice.

And Messi never pressed or worked tirelessly defensively, let's not kid ourselves. Ronaldo puts in "token" work as well, people like Benzema do the actual work.

And I guess you're arguing with people who are saying (like myself) "yes, Messi is the GOAT, but Ronaldo is the only one that is even remotely close" as opposed to you saying "Messi is GOAT and Ronaldo is basically a glorified scrub and maaaybe a top-10 player all-time".
(paraphrasing it obviously, but that's what it's coming off as)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Here's Messi off the ball:

And it looks as though the person who uploaded that last one is reading this thread because he added some dribbling on the end seeing as how dribbling is overrated in a discussion about Messi.

So now Messi has never pressed and Ronaldo has put in as much as work Messi defensively? Can't wait until tomorrow when Messi never scores goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad