Messi condemned to 21 months in jail for tax fraud (suspended sentence)

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
- Voluntary tax evasion in an amount of € 4.1m would have inevitably led to Messi being actually jailed. His testimony of signin everything without reading it could be considered as gross negligence, since a diligent tax declaration is everyone's duty.
I'm no Lawyer but I'm an accountant
(Not a fiscal expert mind you).

But I'm pretty sure that his defense on 《 not knowing anything about a specific country fiscal laws》could have ground as he is a professional football that has been given advise by (I assume) professional tax experts who are working on his behalf.

Usually you get away with a fine as first time offender and that's it. Pretty sure the jail term are out of touch within this context.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
First time tax offenders can and do serve jail time depending on the circumstance. I personally am no fan of it because it's not a violent crime and ultimately paying the sum back + a fine should be enough. So I am okay with Messi not going to jail, I am not okay with Messi and his fans in Barcelona trying to turn this into a game of politics instead of accepting that he acted unethically and owning up to it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
First time tax offenders can and do serve jail time depending on the circumstance. I personally am no fan of it because it's not a violent crime and ultimately paying the sum back + a fine should be enough. So I am okay with Messi not going to jail, I am not okay with Messi and his fans in Barcelona trying to turn this into a game of politics instead of accepting that he acted unethically and owning up to it.

I think they do accept that he acted unethically. What they don't accept is that other people were not prosecuted to that extend and that, despite the prosecutor not wanting to press charges, they did anyway.

I can't blame them for that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Why did FCB start that ridiculous hashtag??

He's a criminal, a fraudster in a country with nearly crippling economic issues and record low household income. Call it a witch-hunt all you want but they didn't make him skip his taxes, he's yet another in a long line of (literally) holier than thou Cules who think the rules don't apply to them. On the pitch or off the pitch, this culture is so arrogant and toxic.

Damn shame he didn't go to jail. An example should've been made. Barcelona are as filthy a club as Madrid are made out to be, and I respect the politically complicated history between the Spanish fascist forces and these clubs but in this specific case I see nothing wrong with throwing his tax dodging arrogant ass in prison.

I mean, just because the previous cases were under-pursued, should Messi's be as well? Is he literally better at being a citizen than the swaths of literally poor and hungry Argentinians and Spaniards?

Both countries are in dire shape, this guy had an obligation to his society and people and skirted it. No sympathy, none.

Tax dodgers aren't making political statements about government bureaucracy or overreach, they are cheating so as to pay less than what they agreed to owe, at the expense of regular people. No. Sympathy.

:biglaugh: Clueless as ever. Swaths of poor and hungry Spaniards, but let's discriminate against Messi and let the member of the Royal Family (what a concept) off and not even bat an eyelash. You forgot the bit about Kroos being a top 5 midfielder in the World.

Do we have posters with any knowledge about Spanish tax/penal/penal procedural law? Since I know nothing about it, I can only contribute something pretending this to be judged under German law (for what it may be worth):

- Voluntary tax evasion in an amount of € 4.1m would have inevitably led to Messi being actually jailed. His testimony of signin everything without reading it could be considered as gross negligence, since a diligent tax declaration is everyone's duty.
- The public prosecuter does not have to be neutral - the court must be, of course. While the connection to the Real Madrid brass might disturb some Barcelona fans, I do not see any reason for complaints - assuming that the person acted within her legal compences (which seems to be the case).
- The comparison with F. Perez in this quoted lampoon is obviously misleading, to say the least. I assume that Spain's main tax is - like in almost every comparable country - an income tax. There is no doubt that Messi, who came to Spain as a mere pauper, has built his wealth upon income alone - which may very well be taxable in Spain with 53%. Most certainly, wealth is not taxable with 53% in Spain, so of course F. Perez does not have to pay more than € 1bn per year (him having an income of € 80m/year does sound plausible to me, by the way).
- According to Transparency International, Spain is ranked the 35th least corrupt country in 2015. We may discuss about what countries should be considered "Third World", but the vast majority is ranked somewhere else...
- Spain has allowed FC Barcelona - as well as some other clubs - not to pay taxes/social security fees in an amount of several millions Euros. The EU had to force Spain to actually collect these monies. Thus I cannot understand the notion that FC Barcelona receives mistreatment in post-Franqist Spain.
- Without being religious at all, please let me refer to the Bible: Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. That rules me out - and it's not even close.

Gruß,
BSHH

You should really read what's posted in this thread. A few things:

-The Public Prosecutor is the one who called for Messi to be acquitted, and the person in question is very obviously not the Public Prosecutor.
-Spain allowed Barça not to pay taxes, as it did with Madrid, and clubs like Osasuna and Athletic Club. Whether or not it was an objective decision as the EU stated it wasn't, you could argue that the way Barça for example is structured it was sound. That said I don't think they should have got the tax break in the first place as I would still factor in the profits regardless of the money going into the club. Furthermore they already started collecting this tax going forward before that ruling came down.
-The way the Messi and Mascherano cases have been handled compared to those of Casillas and Mourinho should show exactly what you seem to have trouble seeing.

People gave Bayern fans crap for not throwing Hoeness under the bus. Difference is that Hoeness served actual time and had to resign from all his functions.

Meanwhile, Messi is all but declared a martyr by the Catalan victim cult because he actually got busted for his tax avoidance scheme.

I think they do accept that he acted unethically. What they don't accept is that other people were not prosecuted to that extend and that, despite the prosecutor not wanting to press charges, they did anyway.

I can't blame them for that.

Exactly. Where was this for every other person who was prosecuted? Have they all even been prosecuted? Apparently Casillas and Mourinho were, but there is very little out there in the media on it. That actually goes to something about this Messi case. He can appeal up to three times apparently and just watch them revel in him appealing and continue to go after him. At the end of the day they're just happy to keep this in the papers for years and drag his name through the mud.

Every single person that I've seen comment on this, whether it's on a forum, in a column or in a comments section to an article in a "Barça" paper, they've all essentially said that he should get punishment but that he should be treated as everyone else is and not differently as he has been.

But hey, the less you know.

Something to think about.

This sums things up really well. People should have a read of his tweets on this. And the "double Irish arrangement" sounds like what Ronaldo probably did when paid taxes through Ireland to pay what was supposedly half of what he would have had to pay in Portugal.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That was a nice touch, I LOLed. :) I think his pedestrian game against France catapulted him to the absolute top, though.
Yeah Kroos was the mediocre one - played in the wrong position, ahead of a down-right AWFUL Schweini, next to a clueless off-wing Ozil, behind an invisible Mueller, etc.

But yeah, let's rail against Kroos. Pedestrian game from THAT guy :laugh:

Best German outfielder, consistent and a multi-time champion in different leagues and some of the best clubs of all time, consistently improving... let's rail on him. That pedestrian ****. Only got on the Team of the Tournament. Bum.

:biglaugh: Clueless as ever. Swaths of poor and hungry Spaniards, but let's discriminate against Messi and let the member of the Royal Family (what a concept) off and not even bat an eyelash. You forgot the bit about Kroos being a top 5 midfielder in the World.
It shows the arrogance of Barcelona supports to politicise this so much. Messi is one of the biggest names in the world, of course he's going to be made an example of. And Barcelona have done so many shady and unethical things in recent years and have always responded with this same sob-story "oh they hate us, they're discriminating against us, we're not that bad!!"

Who cares about taxes and unethical behaviour, others also cheated!

http://en.as.com/en/2016/07/12/football/1468320763_913499.html

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah Kroos was the mediocre one - played in the wrong position, ahead of a down-right AWFUL Schweini, next to a clueless off-wing Ozil, behind an invisible Mueller, etc.

You really are incapable and/or unwilling to judge your favourite player fairly, at this point. Everybody gets blame, but Kroos just can do no wrong with you. Schweinsteiger was playing a surprisingly good game until his brain fart. Müller being invisible was partially up to Kroos and Özil not giving him much to work with, again. I wouldn't have mentioned anything had it not been for your post-game comments raving about his good old non-threatening alibi-passing from that game for no reason to an absurd degree, declaring him the best midfielder after a completely average showing. But sure, move on, I'll enjoy a warranted little jab like Habs' there.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Best German outfielder, consistent and a multi-time champion in different leagues and some of the best clubs of all time, consistently improving... let's rail on him. That pedestrian ****. Only got on the Team of the Tournament. Bum.

I actually preferred his performance against France compared to the one against Italy. Still his overall tournament has been overrated on this forum and his performance against France didn't really make an impact.

Speaking of overrating him, a lot of great stuff here. Best German outfielder? Perhaps, but that's not saying much considering the overall play of the players in the Euro. He's not consistent with Madrid. You could say that about any number of players as regards being a multi-time champion in different leagues and on some of the best clubs "of all time."

It shows the arrogance of Barcelona supports to politicise this so much. Messi is one of the biggest names in the world, of course he's going to be made an example of. And Barcelona have done so many shady and unethical things in recent years and have always responded with this same sob-story "oh they hate us, they're discriminating against us, we're not that bad!!"

Who cares about taxes and unethical behaviour, others also cheated!

http://en.as.com/en/2016/07/12/football/1468320763_913499.html

It shows the stupidity and ignorance of Messi haters to make more of his charges and call for him to be discriminated against. Mourinho and Casillas are two of the biggest names in the World and Infanta Cristina (not Ronaldo for those of you who aren't sure who I'm referring to, though with that name you could be forgiven for thinking so) is a member of the Royal Family. If you're going to make an example of someone you'd just as soon make an example of all of them. And Barcelona have made some mistakes in recent years that the obvious haters have blown out of proportion and failed to realize that other clubs have done as well. Yet all you get is the same clueless reply from people who don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about: "Barça think they're holier than thou because I don't understand what 'Mes que un club' stands for."

Who cares about obvious double standards that are applied only to Barcelona? Support for the swaths of Spain's poor and underprivileged like Jose Mourinho, Iker Casillas and Infanta Cristina!

#LOLHeReallyDidPostThatLink

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad