Messi condemned to 21 months in jail for tax fraud (suspended sentence)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Which would anger me. I want us to win because we deserve it, not because we got rid of Messi through backdoor politics. I love to tease you guys, but I am for good sportsmanship. That's not good sportsmanship.

Same here. I could care less if we win or lose based on overall (both on and off the pitch) "fair play." Like I said, Messi surely avoided paying taxes and I can't believe he's entirely ignorant of that. Still who else has been prosecuted to this extent and for this long? Quite frankly this is just the tip of the iceberg too. You've got the transfer ban, the doping accusations, the Neymar case and I can't even remember what else. And take the Neymar case for a second. Again, I have no doubt the club didn't pay the taxes that the State wanted on the 40 million they gave to N&N enterprises or whatever the company/agency that is Neymar's and his fathers. However the club didn't count it as a wage but rather something else (transfer fee I believe), thus they paid based on that (and again, if you call that a wage then the transfer fee for Neymar, which I noted to the best of my knowledge before anyone at the club did, was only 17.1 million). On top of that the club, like Messi, was prosecuted "all the way" if you will despite like Messi paying what was owed before the trial even really got going. Anyway, it's all been when Perez has been at the helm of Madrid and it's been really obvious what's been going on for years now.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Catalonia should definitely separate with shenanigans like that.

No, they shouldn't for sporting reasons. However if they ever did I would welcome Barça going to say L1. I don't think it ever happens and I'd actually prefer Barça in Spain because I love La Liga on a number of different levels, but this **** has gone way too far and that was years ago. I can't believe what the club has achieved of the years while all this happened. It really is incredible. In fact what's funny is that despite everything they've tried to do it really hasn't worked. Look at what they club won while this **** was going on. Again, it's just incredible.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As usual some super posts in this thread...where was this for Iker? Hmm.

Where's that Benz thread? The walking scum of the earth?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I had an advice to give to Messi right now would be to change club this summer.

After the devastating loss at the copa aamerica and this, he must feel terrible, and probably lost motivation. A change of scenery with a fresh start would bring him some motivation.

Btw McSorleyStick deserves a McSorley stick to the head with his annoying hatred toward the greatest player to ever play the game.

I don't think he hates Pelé.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Hmmm

CkEMZMcXEAAdi9l.jpg

Funny that they would quote the Infanta Cristina case given that her husband (whose at the heart of that case) played professional Handball with.....FC Barcelona.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
So his lawyers basically call him a complete moron and irresponsible adult who is only useful kicking around a ball. Oh and other people are even more evil.:biglaugh:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
As for this Marta Silva Lapuerta, I've read that she is not only a former employee of Real Madrid between 2000 and 2006, but she's also a close friend of Florentino Perez.

That's ridiculous. The conflict of interest is so obvious, it's unbelievable. :amazed:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
As usual some super posts in this thread...where was this for Iker? Hmm.

Where's that Benz thread? The walking scum of the earth?

From 2010: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=801068&highlight=benzema

From 2012: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1246733&highlight=benzema

From 2015: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1988999&highlight=blackmail

So, yeah... go crawl back under your rock, my dear paranoid Cule friend.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
That's ridiculous. The conflict of interest is so obvious, it's unbelievable. :amazed:

There really isn't one in any meaningful legal sense as neither Real Madrid nor Perez have anything to do with the case.

The Catalan separatists who view Barcelona as their vehicle (and the club seems to accept this role) would try to spin *everything* that harms Barcelona as a Spanish right-wing pro-Real Madrid conspiracy.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There are some seriously more scum people out there than Benzema. :shakehead

Oh absolutely,

I don't think he hates Pelé.

You watched football in the 50/60's?

Or another Youtube scout?

One thread with 17 posts and another with 20...mean while what is this the 5th Messi tax thread. :laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Sounds like it's just the tip of the iceberg with her as well. Here she is in 2014 at the Bernabeu Clasico at the invitation of Perez:

maria-silva-invitada-palco-del-bernabeu-2014-1467885437718.jpg

Funny that they would quote the Infanta Cristina case given that her husband (whose at the heart of that case) played professional Handball with.....FC Barcelona.

It's an entirely valid point though and there are apparently other examples.

There really isn't one in any meaningful legal sense as neither Real Madrid nor Perez have anything to do with the case.

The Catalan separatists who view Barcelona as their vehicle (and the club seems to accept this role) would try to spin *everything* that harms Barcelona as a Spanish right-wing pro-Real Madrid conspiracy.

There is in that other cases of the same nature haven't been subject to the same sort of prosecution or sentencing.

LOL.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
If I had an advice to give to Messi right now would be to change club this summer.

After the devastating loss at the copa aamerica and this, he must feel terrible, and probably lost motivation. A change of scenery with a fresh start would bring him some motivation.

Hear hear. I suggest MLS. :naughty:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi isn't the type to change his surrounds too much.

I'll be shocked if he ever moves to the MLS after age catches up to him...He'll be back in Argentina most likely.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Why did FCB start that ridiculous hashtag??

He's a criminal, a fraudster in a country with nearly crippling economic issues and record low household income. Call it a witch-hunt all you want but they didn't make him skip his taxes, he's yet another in a long line of (literally) holier than thou Cules who think the rules don't apply to them. On the pitch or off the pitch, this culture is so arrogant and toxic.

Damn shame he didn't go to jail. An example should've been made. Barcelona are as filthy a club as Madrid are made out to be, and I respect the politically complicated history between the Spanish fascist forces and these clubs but in this specific case I see nothing wrong with throwing his tax dodging arrogant ass in prison.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I mean, just because the previous cases were under-pursued, should Messi's be as well? Is he literally better at being a citizen than the swaths of literally poor and hungry Argentinians and Spaniards?

Both countries are in dire shape, this guy had an obligation to his society and people and skirted it. No sympathy, none.

Tax dodgers aren't making political statements about government bureaucracy or overreach, they are cheating so as to pay less than what they agreed to owe, at the expense of regular people. No. Sympathy.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why did FCB start that ridiculous hashtag??

He's a criminal, a fraudster in a country with nearly crippling economic issues and record low household income. Call it a witch-hunt all you want but they didn't make him skip his taxes, he's yet another in a long line of (literally) holier than thou Cules who think the rules don't apply to them. On the pitch or off the pitch, this culture is so arrogant and toxic.

Damn shame he didn't go to jail. An example should've been made. Barcelona are as filthy a club as Madrid are made out to be, and I respect the politically complicated history between the Spanish fascist forces and these clubs but in this specific case I see nothing wrong with throwing his tax dodging arrogant ass in prison.

I mean, just because the previous cases were under-pursued, should Messi's be as well? Is he literally better at being a citizen than the swaths of literally poor and hungry Argentinians and Spaniards?

Both countries are in dire shape, this guy had an obligation to his society and people and skirted it. No sympathy, none.

Tax dodgers aren't making political statements about government bureaucracy or overreach, they are cheating so as to pay less than what they agreed to owe, at the expense of regular people. No. Sympathy.

From what I understand, Spanish tax laws weren't very clear that the tax reduction strategy of Messi's advisers was/is illegal. Calling him a criminal is a stretch if the illegality of their methods wasn't clearly established in advance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You watched football in the 50/60's?

Or another Youtube scout?

Numerous World Cup specials/documentaries on Eurosport at the turn of the 90's. :D

When people start comparing legends of yester years to today's, they make the mistake of saying the modern star would dominate everyone. The proper comparison would be to place the legend into to today's game but with the modern coaching, physical training (meaning development), rules (yellow/red cards, substitutions), refs actually calling fouls. Pelé would still be ridiculously OP in today's game with his speed, size, dribbling, ability to pass and shoot/score from distance with both feet, offensive awareness and heading ability.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Do we have posters with any knowledge about Spanish tax/penal/penal procedural law? Since I know nothing about it, I can only contribute something pretending this to be judged under German law (for what it may be worth):

- Voluntary tax evasion in an amount of € 4.1m would have inevitably led to Messi being actually jailed. His testimony of signin everything without reading it could be considered as gross negligence, since a diligent tax declaration is everyone's duty.
- The public prosecuter does not have to be neutral - the court must be, of course. While the connection to the Real Madrid brass might disturb some Barcelona fans, I do not see any reason for complaints - assuming that the person acted within her legal compences (which seems to be the case).
- The comparison with F. Perez in this quoted lampoon is obviously misleading, to say the least. I assume that Spain's main tax is - like in almost every comparable country - an income tax. There is no doubt that Messi, who came to Spain as a mere pauper, has built his wealth upon income alone - which may very well be taxable in Spain with 53%. Most certainly, wealth is not taxable with 53% in Spain, so of course F. Perez does not have to pay more than € 1bn per year (him having an income of € 80m/year does sound plausible to me, by the way).
- According to Transparency International, Spain is ranked the 35th least corrupt country in 2015. We may discuss about what countries should be considered "Third World", but the vast majority is ranked somewhere else...
- Spain has allowed FC Barcelona - as well as some other clubs - not to pay taxes/social security fees in an amount of several millions Euros. The EU had to force Spain to actually collect these monies. Thus I cannot understand the notion that FC Barcelona receives mistreatment in post-Franqist Spain.
- Without being religious at all, please let me refer to the Bible: Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. That rules me out - and it's not even close.

Gruß,
BSHH

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
People gave Bayern fans crap for not throwing Hoeness under the bus. Difference is that Hoeness served actual time and had to resign from all his functions.

Meanwhile, Messi is all but declared a martyr by the Catalan victim cult because he actually got busted for his tax avoidance scheme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad