Merzlikins 4 shutouts in 7 games

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
We were discussing this topic with friends this morning; I am sure for those of you w access to NHL stats directly this won't be a tough task (I hope), so - can someone, please, check when was the last time a goalie posted 4 shutouts in 7 games?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Every goalie puts up good stats on Columbus.. Maybe Torts is just a defensive god and people don't wanna give him credit lol.

Reactions: Morrison

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
CBJ just pulled a top level NHL goalie out of nowhere from the NLA to replace Nob? Pretty impressive scouting work.

This guy is 25, drafted in 2014. 3rd year eligbility or something. When is the last time teams picked overager goalie in 3rd round or earlier? I think some of these CBJ antics are amazing.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Every goalie puts up good stats on Columbus.. Maybe Torts is just a defensive god and people don't wanna give him credit lol.
Torts employs a very effective defensive system and Brad Shaw is a talented assistant GM who mainly handles the defensemen.

Also, the Jackets defensemen themselves are very good. They manage gaps quite well, they keep opponents to the outside and limit second chances, and they transition the puck quickly out of the zone.

That plus Merzlikins being decent-to-good would account for what we're seeing. He's also helped by being a rookie goalie and teams don't have the book on him yet.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I think it is a mix of that and Jones/Werenski being among the best 1-2 punches on D in the NHL. Goalies themselves have to be talented.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
What's truly amazing is how poorly Merzlikins began in Columbus. He looked so bad and now this.

Go figure.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
guy is on fire although the team D has loads to do with it, only faced 16 shots.

I hope he keeps playing when Jonas comes back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->