Confirmed with Link: Merrill re-signs for 2 years

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Maybe give him some power play time next year.

I feel like last year that his offense was so incredibly bad, that he's not even really anywhere near as bad at offense as he was.

It sucks that the only goal he scored last year never really happened, because it wasn't televised.:laugh:

He will have to improve his shot and learn how to shoot a one-timer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He will have to improve his shot and learn how to shoot a one-timer.

His shot isn't very good at all, but he's an alright passer and his shot has resulted in a few deflectable goals. Kind of like we've seen from Larsson from time to time over his career so far. Just not nearly as frequent with Merrill though.

He scored a nice goal on Henrik's glove side a couple years back. He also scored a complete softy that leaked through Reimer and an OT winner against Bryz and the Oilers 3 years ago. I can remember most of his goals, he's apparently only scored 5. I'm forgetting the other one.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
His shot isn't very good at all, but he's an alright passer and his shot has resulted in a few deflectable goals. Kind of like we've seen from Larsson from time to time over his career so far. Just not nearly as frequent with Merrill though.

He scored a nice goal on Henrik's glove side a couple years back. He also scored a complete softy that leaked through Reimer and an OT winner against Bryz and the Oilers 3 years ago. I can remember most of his goals, he's apparently only scored 5. I'm forgetting the other one.

You are forgetting the other one because NBCSN crapped out and missed it against the Wild last year. It was his most beautiful goal of course haha

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Yes that was "the goal that never happened."

Give-and-go with Kalinin starting somewhere in the center or entering zone, Merrill came in fast on the goalie.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Idk why I'm feeling a nice bounce back year is on the horizon for Merrill. Last year was very different for him as a younger hockey player. New coach, new system, new partners for the most part. He's still young. Plus he just had a kid and to not make any excuses, maybe that threw something off too. Who knows, I do think he'll be closer to his rookie and sophomore years than last year though.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Idk why I'm feeling a nice bounce back year is on the horizon for Merrill. Last year was very different for him as a younger hockey player. New coach, new system, new partners for the most part. He's still young. Plus he just had a kid and to not make any excuses, maybe that threw something off too. Who knows, I do think he'll be closer to his rookie and sophomore years than last year though.

Yeah, if he shows up better this year, we'll be OK. Hurts losing Larsson but if Severson and Merril both show up better, we'll be a pretty reasonable team.

(.....oh yes, and the first kid part, that definitely would cause some major adjustments off ice.....things only parents will relate to....----signed EVERY parent EVER---)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah, if he shows up better this year, we'll be OK. Hurts losing Larsson but if Severson and Merril both show up better, we'll be a pretty reasonable team.

(.....oh yes, and the first kid part, that definitely would cause some major adjustments off ice.....things only parents will relate to....----signed EVERY parent EVER---)

Co-signed... I'm by no means saying it's why is was off last year, but it might've played a factor, nobody knows for sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You are forgetting the other one because NBCSN crapped out and missed it against the Wild last year. It was his most beautiful goal of course haha

I already mentioned that one haha.

After going through his game logs in 14-15, the one I couldn't remember was against Dallas in December 2014. I think it might have been on the power play too. I forgot though, I looked it up this morning. I don't really remember that one.

kiwidevil

I had high hopes for Merrill when he was running the Michigan PP. He seemed fairly dominant there.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Merrill has a strong stretch last year right before his last injury. I think he can have a strong season especially if Lovejoy is his partner.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Still not quite sure I understand not sending QOs to Merrill/DSP/Bennett. But que sera, sera.

Thought the same thing when I saw this signing. Granted, no harm no foul but it especially didn't make sense in this case.

Merrill had no salary arbitration rights so it's not avoiding arbitration.. and if we were planning on signing him for less than his QO, we ended up paying him 50% MORE and an extra year to boot.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm a little confused. If Merrill (and the others) wasn't given an QO, then wasn't he technically a UFA? And if so, shouldn't he be a UFA when his contract ends?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Thought the same thing when I saw this signing. Granted, no harm no foul but it especially didn't make sense in this case.

Merrill had no salary arbitration rights so it's not avoiding arbitration.. and if we were planning on signing him for less than his QO, we ended up paying him 50% MORE and an extra year to boot.

Maybe Shero wanted to give them a choice? Unorthodox move but it could have positive effects on the players' mental.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'm a little confused. If Merrill (and the others) wasn't given an QO, then wasn't he technically a UFA? And if so, shouldn't he be a UFA when his contract ends?

He was technically a UFA but that doesn't make him a UFA automatically next time around. He will still be an RFA when this contract expires as he doesn't have 7 accrued seasons and isn't age 27. We can not qualify him again and he'd be UFA again but we'll still have that choice.

Basically, two mechanisms to be a UFA here:
1) Have 7 accrued seasons or be age 27
2) Be an RFA and not receive a qualifying offer

One of those two has to happen to be a UFA each time a contract expires.

Maybe Shero wanted to give them a choice? Unorthodox move but it could have positive effects on the players' mental.

That would be beyond stupid. You don't potentially lose a player you want to keep just because you want to give them a choice. I think not receiving a QO is also not the greatest thing.. I mean talk about a rollercoaster of emotions. First the team doesn't even think you are worth a minimal raise to 880k.. then they think you are worth even more?

I'm sure there is a reason but fairly odd right now. End of the day, this contract is likely the one he would have gotten even if we tendered him.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Maybe give him some power play time next year.

I feel like last year that his offense was so incredibly bad, that he's not even really anywhere near as bad at offense as he was.

It sucks that the only goal he scored last year never really happened, because it wasn't televised.:laugh:

wheres the vish style proof :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
wheres the vish style proof :laugh:

When we first signed Vishnevskiy (spelling might be off on that one) my friend got all excited and was like ''At least this is a nice consolation prize for losing Rafalski. We got a pretty decent replacement and he might even be a better PPQB''

And I was like ''Say whaaaaa???? Good one! Nice joke though!''

And he was like ''He's scored at a better clip than Rafalski the last two years. I love Raffi, are you kidding me though?''

You see, he thought we had signed Visnovsky, as in Lubomir Visnovsky. The one who played for LAK at the time and wound up playing for Edmonton, Anaheim and the Islanders later on. The one that no-showed to camp for the Islanders after the lockout, then wound up re-signing there the next year. Pulling the same exact move his buddy Nabokov did, with the refusing to report and then liking it and re-signing there after that.

Then when I told him it wasn't that guy, he wasn't very happy. Then the very next year he was traded to Edmonton just a few days before UFA. And then we signed Rolston and my buddy was like ''We couldn't have traded for Visnovsky? We signed Rolston instead? Gross!'' And I was like ''Well we would have needed to probably send them your buddy Gionta'' and then he goes ''Well I would have sent him there for Vis, because we're gonna ****ing lose him anyway next year, thanks to this stupid ****ing signing of Rolston. He won't be re-signed'' and then I was like ''Yeah, **** dude! We are gonna lose him now! Good point''.:laugh:

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Merrill will have a great year. Mark this post down.
Last year he had his ups and downs...he also had a new baby and the fathers/mothers on this board know the toll that takes on someone. Sleepless nights take their toll on you and i bet this had a lot to do with his up and down year.
I think he'll go out and establish himself as a top 4 guy and he'll be the rock we've all hoped he'd be when he was drafted.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Last year he had his ups and downs...he also had a new baby and the fathers/mothers on this board know the toll that takes on someone. Sleepless nights take their toll on you and i bet this had a lot to do with his up and down year.
I think he'll go out and establish himself as a top 4 guy and he'll be the rock we've all hoped he'd be when he was drafted.

I mean I hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath

I would be happy with him being a decent NHL regular at this point

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Well he also wasn't very good the year before this past either, so it's not like it was just one poor year.

But I maintain that if he's the weakest link on our defense or the only weak link, we're in good shape. Much rather have him in than anything I've seen from Helgeson ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad