Mens League wearing shoulder pads?

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Well, they very very expensive which is the main drawback...I'd much rather go for the new TPS ones which are similar with the block padding. I haven't heard much about them cept for some pros who wear them and some issues (not exactly sure what) with the way they are made or something.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Tonight at drop-in a guy had a stick between his legs and tried to stop which put him off balance and into the boards. It didn't look that bad but he wasn't wearing shoulder pads and probably dislocated his shoulder.

Moral: Wear shoulder pads, even if it's just an informal game.

Raoul Duke*

I wear them, just because I have them I suppose. But in a non-hitting league I don't suppose it's all that important.

I remember once back in junior we had this constant problem with people forgetting some slight thing at home, a shin pad... a elbow pad... the cup... And our coach got fed up of having to make the trainers scramble to get it for a guy. So he said he'd bench the next guy for the entire week if they forgot anything.

This guy Darren forgot his shoulder and elbow pads one game. So instead of getting benched, he put on the puffiest coat anyone had to offer him. Then tossed on the jersey over top. Surprisingly nobody noticed, coach or refs. And he played all game with just a winter coat under his jersey. Sweated like a pig, but he played.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
This guy Darren forgot his shoulder and elbow pads one game. So instead of getting benched, he put on the puffiest coat anyone had to offer him. Then tossed on the jersey over top. Surprisingly nobody noticed, coach or refs. And he played all game with just a winter coat under his jersey. Sweated like a pig, but he played.

Betcha buddy was really happy when he got his coat back after the game and wore it on his way home ;)

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Tonight at drop-in a guy had a stick between his legs and tried to stop which put him off balance and into the boards. It didn't look that bad but he wasn't wearing shoulder pads and probably dislocated his shoulder.

Moral: Wear shoulder pads, even if it's just an informal game.

I think it's more dangerous to not wear shoulder pads than to not wear facial protection for beer league.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
I think it's more dangerous to not wear shoulder pads than to not wear facial protection for beer league.
I'd give up my shoulder pads before I'd give up facial protection. A dislocated shoulder is one thing, but a damaged eye is a whole different ballgame, and I've seen too many sticks come up to risk it.

That said, I wear shoulder pads for beer league games. Not heavy-duty stop-a-bullet style, since it's non-checking, but you definitely need something. And honestly, I've never noticed them slowing me down at all; if your shoulder pads are seriously affecting your skating speed, you should probably take a power skating class instead.

And removing parts of/not wearing pads for looks is possibly the stupidest hockey-related thing I've heard this year.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Rink requires to wear them. So it's not a matter of choice for me. I started with Itech SP-50, then switched to Bauer 400. Now I wear thick TPS Bionic pads. Every upgrade came after new injury. I'd say wear'em.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I have a very light old pair of Coopers which I use. I'm a smaller player (I don't have wide shoulders) and the pads make me feel bigger than I am and that translates into my game without slowing me down or restricting my movement.

If I had to pick between wearing a visor and shoulder pads, I'd pick the visor in a heartbeat. Way too many people in my league have absolutely no control over their sticks.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Just switched to lightweight pads, but would never play a game without any pads at all. Only would take one time for an idiot putting his stick under my skate when going into a corner to have a lifelong shoulder injury. I've seen separated/dislocated shoulders and it did not look like a whole lot of fun.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Really, full face shields are the way to go. Unless someone is paying you 2 million or so to play without them. (even then)

If only for the sake of the poor schmuck who might put out your eye. Who wants to live with that.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I was playing without shoulder pads and cage until I saw a guy get cut from his ear lobe to his mouth with one accidental high stick.You could see the dudes teeth through his cheek.I went home and welded on a cage, Im way to pretty for that crap..Composite blades with little chips in em are like razor blades.
However I cannot stick handle at all with shoulder pads on.I am a totally different player when I wear em.

In the end it comes down to your personal choice and or situation but I would never ever risk my face again.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I was playing without shoulder pads and cage until I saw a guy get cut from his ear lobe to his mouth with one accidental high stick.You could see the dudes teeth through his cheek.I went home and welded on a cage, Im way to pretty for that crap..Composite blades with little chips in em are like razor blades.
However I cannot stick handle at all with shoulder pads on.I am a totally different player when I wear em.

In the end it comes down to your personal choice and or situation but I would never ever risk my face again.

It is so easy to do. You go to lift someones stick and miss...the business end is coming straight up towards the face... it's usually the unintentional ones that are the most dangerous, the ones noone would do intentionally. These are the ones the half visor do little to protect. I always felt my old "jaw guard" protected my eyes more than half visors.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
It is so easy to do. You go to lift someones stick and miss...the business end is coming straight up towards the face... it's usually the unintentional ones that are the most dangerous, the ones noone would do intentionally. These are the ones the half visor do little to protect. I always felt my old "jaw guard" protected my eyes more than half visors.

To each his own.
I've worn a half-shield and $2 mouth guard for 15 years and (knock-on-wood) I've only been cut once, and that was when some guy intentionally butt-ended me in the face. I figure if I had been wearing a full-shield he would have stuck me in the throat or speared me in the pills. Either way, I don't think a mask would have saved me from getting hurt in that situation.
I have to say though, when I'm forechecking on someone, I put my free hand in front of my mouth, just in case he misfires or I deflect the puck.

kasparaitis666

Jun 30, 2006
New Jeresy
Heh, whenever I see a guy take a puck or a stick to the face I think of guys like this.

And its guys with full cages on that run around with their sticks all high up in the air. They could care less about where their stick goes just as long as they have a mask covering their face they are ok.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
And its guys with full cages on that run around with their sticks all high up in the air. They could care less about where their stick goes just as long as they have a mask covering their face they are ok.
exactly. i wear no cage/shield. i've got a few scars here and there, but my teethare still real.and my two worst scars were from intentional slashes.
and i always wear my ccm powerlites shoulders. they are at least 15 years old and have no plastic. i 've seperated and dislocated my right shoulder(both at once ouch.) the pads were on, but i was flying and i stepped on a stick about 10 feet from the end boards.

kasparaitis666

Jun 30, 2006
New Jeresy
Sorry man but that's complete Don Cherry ********.

Its true buddy people that wear masks tend to have a lot less control over their sticks then people that wear no mask. If you want to run around with a mask on to protect you cute little face then thats cool, but you better not be skating around swinging your stick every which way because someone without a mask is going to get pissed and give it to you.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Its true buddy people that wear masks tend to have a lot less control over their sticks then people that wear no mask. If you want to run around with a mask on to protect you cute little face then thats cool, but you better not be skating around swinging your stick every which way because someone without a mask is going to get pissed and give it to you.

and you're at a TOTAL disadvantage if a fight starts.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
just because it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean it cant happen, so why risk it? i played without a mask for years until i got 12 stiches under my lip and lost two teeth. to me that mentality is just fake macho bs. but whatever, wearing a mask doesnt impact your game and unless your playing pro you should have one, but to each his own.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

I wear a full mask because if I lose an eye, I lose my job - I then lose my car, my apartment, pretty much everything. Is it worth risking it for a game? I mean I love playing hockey and all but it is just a game and there is no way I would ever do something in order to put myself at more, unnecessary risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad