Mens League wearing shoulder pads?

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
Just wondering how many people go without shoulder pads for mens league games. Basically all i am is speed, and i haven't been as fast as i was in high school probably since i skated 3-4 times a week back then. But the bigger issue is injury and well there is a money bet involved. Currently me and my cousin are behind in the bet by a little bit, but we have caught up before with the same defecit. So i was just wondering is it worth the risk the bet is for $100 dollars for each person involved.

mooseOAK*

I go with them, played without for a while but being a defenceman it didn't turn out to be that great of an idea.

phiflyers2003

Nov 1, 2006
Yea i like to block shots to, since i did play defense until this season, but with my legs i couldnt stand blocking shots anymore. Even still i block an occasion shot since its just an instinct for me, i was thinkin maybe see how i feel playing open ice then decide.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I use Sher-Wood 5030s and they're pretty much all you need in a non contact beer league kind of setting. To each their own, but I like a little bit of protection from the occasional spill, boards, or jostle. Never know when you'll lose an edge and go shoulder first into a corner.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
I wear mine, but I play D. But also I am a rink employee and under usa hockey rules you need full gear if you want the insurance coverage. Most guys complain about the 30 bucks a year coverage thats required at usa hockey rinks, but they do cover what ever your insurance doesn't cover if its hockey related. A team mate tweeked his knee, and is insurance bill was about 500 or so mostly for xrays. before his deductable kicked in. Usa hockey covered that for him. its a good deal if you have to use it. but if you separate your shoulder and you didn't have the pads on your pretty much screwed.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I wear mine, and go with a bit more protection then most rec/beer leaguers. A hit from behind kinked my shoulder a bit, so I want to make sure it's protected. Even still, I wouldn't go without some sort of protection.

funktasticblues93

Jun 3, 2006
st. louis mo.
I don't wear any and it feels great, love to be free, even if i did wear them i'd still feel that way, because i have the old school cooper ones that have no protection whatsoever, they are the best, played midget, highsool and junior with those things

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Itech SP50s or Sherwood 5030s are the way to go for shoulder pads that don't feel like shoulder pads.

SP50-big.jpg

nni

Dec 29, 2005
my league is non contact, but there is contact, so i wear them. in my opinion, it isnt roller hockey, just wear your shoulder pads.

Last edited:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I haven't worn them since I got out of contact hockey. I play D also and I don't worry about getting hit. I think in the 15 years since I quit wearing them I have only gotten 2 lasers in the chest. I like the freedom of movement but I really don't wear them because of the heat. I stay much cooler without the shoulder pads.

Cujo31

Mar 5, 2007
Few years back I didn't wear them....on a semi break the chasing D hooked me enough to pull me down as I deked....shoulder hit post hard.

May as well have hit me with a hammer-pain was incredible. Turned green & blue, no break but felt worst than when I did break ankle or arm.

Trust me its not worth it.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Lacrosse shoulder and elbow pads may be a better option for you guys for mens leagues. They offer a lot more mobility, while still giving good protection.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I don't wear them anymore. I have sherwood 5030's and I do like them but I dont see any reason to wear them in the leagues I play in. Maybe if I play D I'll put them on.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I use Sher-Wood 5030s and they're pretty much all you need in a non contact beer league kind of setting. To each their own, but I like a little bit of protection from the occasional spill, boards, or jostle. Never know when you'll lose an edge and go shoulder first into a corner.

same here...for the beer league that's all I need. we're all buddies in the league, so we do occasionally throw a hit here and there but nothing too hard.
hits among buddies is tolerated ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->