Mendes: 10 games that likely cost senators a playoff Spot

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=446536

Gotta agree with Ian on this one. It's amazing how many times this team has shot itself in the foot and that list is pretty telling considering you could add a few more to that list. What I don't understand is why this team is so bad in overtime. We must hold the record for most games in ot to end quickly on the wrong side. For me I look at the amount of loser pts as a big reason why we're likely going to miss the playoffs. No team is going to win every ot or shootout but 13 loser pts is just too many. We're tied for 2nd with Detroit and New Jersey and not suprisingly we're all on the outside looking in at the moment. Only Chicago has more loser pts (14) but they have the talent to overcome that. Has this team ever been good in OT?

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Yeah that pretty much sums up the season. The only thing they have been consistent at this season is being inconsistent. All those games are fresh in my mind and each game had goats in them whether it was Spezza, Anderson, Lehner, GSN line etc. It's a long season but every game counts. Hopefully the team has learned that lesson.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, so it looks like I didn't incorrectly hear the Avs' broadcast yesterday about losing the 3-goal lead with 5 minutes left.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I remember arguing with a poster a few weeks ago about some of the games on this list. Didn't realize it was that much more than a handful.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I can't imagine how low my opinion of the league would be if a group of lazy, underachieving fools like the 2013/14 Senators could make the playoffs.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The first thing that stands out is that there are 10 games like this. No wonder we are not in a playoff spot.

The second thing that stands out is that losing to Calgary in a must win game did not even make the list. Again, pretty obvious why we are on the outside looking in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This organization sure is spectacular at losing to the teams that murk the fan base the most eh. 4 of the 10 are to the leafs and habs haha. What did we do as a fan base to piss off the hockey gods so much?

The first thing that stands out is that there are 10 games like this. No wonder we are not in a playoff spot.

The second thing that stands out is that losing to Calgary in a must win game did not even make the list. Again, pretty obvious why we are on the outside looking in.

Among many many stand out reasons as to why this team is obviously really bad. The 150 plus shots in two and a half games Lehner had to face at the start of the season is truly incredible.

57 FIFTY SEVEN shots to the Islanders?! My god that's terrible.

FireDJ

Jul 20, 2006
Alberta
There's another game missing, that may be more important than a lot of these. Minnesota at Ottawa when Koivu scored with like 3 minutes left, giving Minny a 4-3 win, and us playing a good game but getting zero points as usual.

FireDJ

Jul 20, 2006
Alberta
Honorable mention also goes to
Edmonton at Ottawa 3-1
Ottawa at Chicago 5-6
Dallas at Ottawa 4-3
Nashville at Ottawa 4-3

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
The amount of points we lost due to the inability to protect the lead is pissing me off so much.

I still cant believe Bryan Murray said our defense was "fine", then he goes to sign Phillips.

I think Mendes cudve gone and make a top 20.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Definitely the most frustrating regular season I've ever followed.

I wonder if the blown leads have something to do with lack of conditioning, or maybe bad ice time management on the part of the coaches? There's been quite a few games where the team's been on its heels for the last 5 minutes.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I love that Mendes insists that these 10 games probably cost us the playoffs, EIGHT of which were 1-goal losses and SEVEN of which were either OT or shootout losses... and yet in his previous article, he says trading for Hemsky earlier wouldn't have made a difference.

Having a guy who has instant-chemistry with Spezza wouldn't have made a difference in at least half of these games? C'mon, man. Really?

lol Mendes has some pretty epic brain farts. you can tell he's too invested in this team to make logical arguments.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
He's wrong with the Hemsky thing but if you ask me it's better that we're in the position we're in today. Adding an 82 game Hemsky just would have masked the true problems with the team. It would have given a false impression that you just have to outscore your problems instead of tightening the D. I remember we did just that back in the 09-10 season. We made the playoffs with a negative goal differential and teams with that kind of stat go nowhere in the playoffs unless you have insane goaltending like the habs had that year. The irony is the caps used that same philosophy we did and both of us got knocked out of the first round after not addressing the D and play in the D zone from some of the forwards.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I love that Mendes insists that these 10 games probably cost us the playoffs, EIGHT of which were 1-goal losses and SEVEN of which were either OT or shootout losses... and yet in his previous article, he says trading for Hemsky earlier wouldn't have made a difference.

Having a guy who has instant-chemistry with Spezza wouldn't have made a difference in at least half of these games? C'mon, man. Really?

Not to mention the fact that if we trade for Hemsky earlier, he DOESN'T score those two goals on us in that March 4 game. Double-whammy on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad