Memories - Video / Audio / Articles from the historic 2017-18 championship season

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Some nuggets about the official blu ray
Weekly Reader: The NHL's approach to gambling

The Washington Capitals' official Stanley Cup champions video was released on Blu-ray combo pack, DVD and digital last week. And it was a challenging one to create, according to Steve Mayer, NHL executive vice president and chief content officer.
Thus, the totality of the pain and suffering for the Capitals in the playoffs wasn't completely chronicled, although their back-to-back playoffs losses to the Penguins were mentioned. This video is, after all, a celebration.
"I learned a long time ago that you have to know your audience. In this case, the audience is Washington Capitals fans. That's the majority of our sales. Capitals fans that want that keepsake forever. What's that DVD that, 20 years from now, someone wants to show their kids?" Mayer said.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I enjoyed the Blu Ray. Thought it was well done. However, one huge, glaring omission: you're going to include some footage of Leonsis, deservedly so, he's the owner, after all. Then you're include some footage of Mcphee. Not crazy about it, but he did select OV after all, so ok, whatever, have your five minutes. But then you are NOT going to include BMac? The architect of the historic 2018 team? Utterly bizarre.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I enjoyed the Blu Ray. Thought it was well done. However, one huge, glaring omission: you're going to include some footage of Leonsis, deservedly so, he's the owner, after all. Then you're include some footage of Mcphee. Not crazy about it, but he did select OV after all, so ok, whatever, have your five minutes. But then you are NOT going to include BMac? The architect of the historic 2018 team? Utterly bizarre.
I’m watching right now and the over-use of Walton’s calls is really killing it for me so far. They switch it up like one every 10 goals. I don’t dislike him but it’s pretty annoying hearing him over and over. They’ve used his boring yelling schtick over some great calls like Doc’s Ovi one in game 3 vs Pitt and the Backstrom OT goal in game 5 round 1.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I’m watching right now and the over-use of Walton’s calls is really killing it for me so far. They switch it up like one every 10 goals. I don’t dislike him but it’s pretty annoying hearing him over and over. They’ve used his boring yelling schtick over some great calls like Doc’s Ovi one in game 3 vs Pitt and the Backstrom OT goal in game 5 round 1.

I very much dislike Walton's need to drag everything out with 100 words when 20 will do. "The Washington Capitals are your 2017-2018 EASTERN CONFERENCE Championssssssssssss". It took 20 seconds to get the call out. He shortened it when they won it all but barely.

p.s. I do like Walton, he's can just be a little to, loquacious as they say, sometimes.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just watched the Blu Ray (rental on Prime)... Well done, so many great moments. But man, that last scene with Oshie and his parents, onions galore! When you think about the 25 plus years and ALL the people who helped make these hockey players into champions, no one more so than their parents. What a great moment!

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I hate to say it, but the DVD was disappointing. Personally, I find watching just the game recaps more intense. I think it should've been longer and used more game footage, or relied on that more to tell the story. They also glossed over some stuff in both the regular season and playoffs and simplified the regular season story, in some cases to the point of inaccuracy. On the other hand, maybe I just need to watch it again.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I thought about this, at first I was if he didn't rip on all the guys that left I'd have been disappointed and there's no way that was happening, then I just would have wanted that interview where he says they have a Stanley Cup hangover without the Cup, and everyone was like look at this asshole but it ended up putting the failure spotlight on himself instead of the team. Now I just assume he was doing stuff for the draft and free agency and didn't have the time.

Quonis

Jan 3, 2015
Copenhagen
eller1.jpg

So this just happened. I actually got to see the Cup in real life - and only about a mile from my house. As a Danish hockey fan, that still seems unreal. Thank you Lars and thank you Capitals.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->