OT: Memories of Richard Peddie

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I don't. Ferguson may have been given a certain type of mandate but Peddie didn't tell him to trade good assets for garbage. To this day, I still can't believe that Ferguson gave up a major asset for a goalie with a .879 Save% the previous year. The equivalent would have been if Lou had traded Liljegren to acquire Calvin Pickard.

Ferguson would have completely botched any rebuild.

I would like to add that if he simply was dealt a bad hand during his tenure as Leafs GM, and this was universally accepted within the old boys club; then why hasn't he gotten another chance to be GM of a different team 10 years later?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Didn't the owners of the Leafs....first Teachers Pension and then Rogers/Bell like this type of person.
Ferguson was a smug, though completely out of his realm as a GM. Then the always smug by then senile Fletcher. Petty seemed to found his blood brother in Burke. The two smartest people in the universe according to them. Yea for what they accomplished as a ratio to the dollars they were given by MLG, they were very smart. Probably got more $$ per hour worked than any paid employees in pro sports history.

I don't really agree with your description of Ferguson as smug. I'd say "nervous" or "evasive" or "lacking in confidence".

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Let's talk about someone whose impact is actually underrated: Tim Leiweke. Leiweke hired both Shanahan and Ujiri.

Meh...I really think Shanahan would of signed here with or without the upsell from Tim Leiweke. After all, Shanahan grew up in Mimico and was a huge Leafs fan growing up. You might have a case for Ujiri though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Meh...I really think Shanahan would of signed here with or without the upsell from Tim Leiweke. After all, Shanahan grew up in Mimico and was a huge Leafs fan growing up. You might have a case for Ujiri though.
I always found it interesting that Shanahan was Leiweke's #1 choice to become the Leafs President. Everyone thought it would have been Wayne Gretzky because his name was also brought up.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I don't. Ferguson may have been given a certain type of mandate but Peddie didn't tell him to trade good assets for garbage. To this day, I still can't believe that Ferguson gave up a major asset for a goalie with a .879 Save% the previous year. The equivalent would have been if Lou had traded Liljegren to acquire Calvin Pickard.

Ferguson would have completely botched any rebuild.

Ya I know it's not a popular opinion, but the guy's been a good talent evaluator everywhere else he's been, he was highly regarded in St Louis, and in San Jose and Boston since he was canned here. It always reeked of meddling from MLSE.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He did a great job expanding the MLSE empire. Unfortunately, that didn't translate into much success for the sports franchises in terms of wins and losses.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't like him.

He is an arrogant blow hard without question.

He is also the best thing to have happened to MLSE since it's inception. Just look at the success of the MLSE sports franchises since he put the right people in place.

He was here for a short time, but he left an everlasting footprint. As a diehard TFC fan, I am particularly grateful for what he did.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's easy to dislike Richard Peddie because he's the guy who presided over the disastrous JFJ, Fletcher II and early Burke years. But even if he did veto the JFJ rebuild direction in 2006, the whole era went down the toilet because of JFJ's inability to execute. Signing Kubina instead of making a bigger run at Chara, misidentifying a number one goalie year after year, gun shy on the Pronger deal, etc. It would have been a veteran team with no serious chance at the cup but it wouldn't have bottomed out the way it did in 2008-2010.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
while Peddie should share some of the folly, most of the blame can be laid directly at the feet of the pencil necked Larry Tannenbaum, who was finally cut down to size and his power taken away by Rogers/Bell

The Peddie years were constantly undermined by the grinch like LarryT and his power over the board. He vetoed the Gretzky thing by convincing Stavros who was ill and dying that since MLG was already full Gretzky wouldn't sell anymore tickets

Jealous of Peddies apparent popularity at the time(and anybodies for that matter), he was the one that forced JFj to sign McCabe to that then ridiculous contract(as he was chummy with Bryans agent who attended the same synagogue), he was the one that put an end to JFj's vision of a kind of Leafs International developmental and scouting system and over-ruled many other hockey decisions that may have propelled the team forward, he also precipitated the JFj era by ordering the dismantling of the team citing out of control player salaries and then engineered Cliffs firing for his handling of the team The end goal being to set Peddie up into hiring the inexperienced JFj which undermined Quinn's control over player personnel decisions and then making Fergie his pawn. What it got the Leafs were years in the wilderness

Larry T always believed that he was rightful heir to the Leafs majority ownership after Stavros, a right that disappeared when the OTPF bought the controlling interest.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I was a Day 1 Raptors fan and I absolutely despised Richard Peddie, if you were casting the role of corporate weasel in a Hollywood movie he'd be the model for it. I forget what rock he crawled out from under but I think he came to sports through the Slaights who owned radio stations and became owners after the Bitoves flamed out.

Or maybe he came in through the teachers pension fund. God what a mess that all was, NBA made a big mistake awarding the franchise to the Bitoves, John was a passionate b-ball fan but they were nowhere near rich enough and b.s.'ed their way with their plans for a state of the art basketball only building beside/near the Eaton Center.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He doesn't get enough flak if anything. He was a hockey knownothing who meddled in the hockey operations. His manipulations were transparent. The Ferguson hiring was used to oust Quinn. The worse moment however was him mouthing Cliff Fletcher's speech. That was just plain creepy.

Exactly this!!!

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
He is an arrogant blow hard without question.

He is also the best thing to have happened to MLSE since it's inception. Just look at the success of the MLSE sports franchises since he put the right people in place.

He was here for a short time, but he left an everlasting footprint. As a diehard TFC fan, I am particularly grateful for what he did.

You really must of gotten him mixed up with Tim Leiweke. I don't recall Richard Peddie doing anything competent, most of the success came after Richard Peddie left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad