Memorial Day

aguineapig

Corp Richard Paul Chenard (1922-1943) - Find A...

I never got to meet Uncle Dickie. Lost at sea in WWII. Your picture was on the wall at Mimi's house. When they spoke of you they always said how you looked so much like my oldest Brother. They always smiled when they talked about you, but even a child such as myself could see the sorrow hidden behind it. I know now how much pain they must have felt every time they looked at that picture. Pride too of course, but to lose such a treasure you could never again find or replace is unspeakable. I never met you Uncle Dickie, but I shall never forget you.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thank you to all who have served and those who are still serving.

It is important to remember.

My Dad and both of my uncles fought in ww2. My Grandfather was in the Navy.

I went Sat. to plant flowers at their graves in Pepperell MA. I went early and there was only one guy there. I told them about the family and what was happening in the country. I know it is silly but I feel them there with me.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2020-5-25_8-0-34.jpeg

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I love this picture. Everyone in the cemetery has a story, they're not just a name.

My dad is buried at Barrancas on NAS Pensacola. It's a beautiful cemetery, and very old. They have hundreds of Civil War markers. We've walked through that section a couple times.

My dad is in the last section on what they consider the "historical side" of the cemetery. I took these pictures a few years ago on Memorial Day, when they put flags on all the graves and fly them throughout the cemetery.

FB_IMG_1590414391011.jpg
FB_IMG_1590414430909.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My paternal grandfather was an Army Staff Sergeant in the medic unit under Patton. All I know is that he was in central Europe and based on the dates, he was likely involved in the fall of Berlin.

My maternal grandfather was also in the Army and was a Corporal. He lied about his age and served in WWII and Korea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->