Memorial Cup

Sav

Nov 30, 2006
I am interested going to the Memorial Cup in Saginaw next May. Is the arena in a good neighbourhood? Would you go for a walk with kids in that area?

As well, do you have any suggestions for hotel/motel?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I am interested going to the Memorial Cup in Saginaw next May. Is the arena in a good neighbourhood? Would you go for a walk with kids in that area?

Area around the arena is fine. Despite the reputation, you aren’t in any danger around the arena. It’s like any small city. There’s a few restaurants near the Dow but for the most part, not a lot of tourist stuff IMMEDIATELY next to it. There’s a concert area across the street. There will be festivities there before games. As far as hotels, there’s a slew of them on Titabawasee road just 5 minutes from the arena. Plenty in Midland (15 min away) or Frankenmuth (20 minutes) if you want to do more touristy stuff while your here.

Reactions: AttackSound

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Since you mentioned kids, here’s some ideas for stuff to check out in the area around Saginaw.

Midland: Chippewa nature center, Midland Center for the Arts, Dow Garden, the Tridge, Dow Diamond (Loons game)

Bay City: Delta College Planetarium, Bay City State Park, Vets Park

Saginaw: Marshall Fredricks sculpture museum, Saginaw Zoo, Mid Michigan Children’s Museum

Frankenmuth: the whole town

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Since you mentioned kids, here’s some ideas for stuff to check out in the area around Saginaw.

Midland: Chippewa nature center, Midland Center for the Arts, Dow Garden, the Tridge, Dow Diamond (Loons game)

Bay City: Delta College Planetarium, Bay City State Park, Vets Park

Saginaw: Marshall Fredricks sculpture museum, Saginaw Zoo, Mid Michigan Children’s Museum

Frankenmuth: the whole town
You forgot Birch Run if shopping is your thing.

Reactions: Millpond

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm going to second Tittabawasee Road for hotels. It's a solid commercial area with hotels and restaurants (stayed there last time), plus easy access to the highway to get to the arena or surrounding region. I think it's only a 5-min drive from the arena.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm going to second Tittabawasee Road for hotels. It's a solid commercial area with hotels and restaurants (stayed there last time), plus easy access to the highway to get to the arena or surrounding region. I think it's only a 5-min drive from the arena.

I hear Detroit is nice in the spring….

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Use to stay in that area to get the hotel room and free tickets to the game. Not sure if the hotels do that anymore and they sure won't for the M-cup.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If it helps, teams will all be staying in Frankenmouth, and I believe some festivities will take place there as well.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013

At some point (maybe soon if I find time) I was going to put out an "unofficial" Memorial Cup Visitors Guide that will direct people to different parts of the region. For 20+ years now we've marketed ourselves as the Great Lakes Bay Region since everything is like 20-25 min from each other and then you're not just limited to Saginaw. Midland, Bay City, Frankenmuth, Birch Run, Mt. Pleasant all have great options depending on what you are looking for.

If you're looking to book something now, I would suggest the Tittabawassee Rd. area off of I-675. There's tons of options there (Hampton, Fairfield, SpringHill, FourPoints, Holiday Inn) and all should be in good condition and are near restaurants/shopping. If you're looking for more of a resorty feel, check out any of the hotels in Frankenmuth...that town is walkable and one of the biggest tourist spots in the state. The Tittabawassee hotels are about 5min drive to the arena (it's possible they will have a shuttle for the Mem Cup) and Frankenmuth will be about a 15-20min drive to the arena.

As far as I know, the Spirit have not released any information regarding details other than the teams will be lodged in Frankenmuth and the Jolt Event Park will host the "fan-fest" type of activities.

While the arena is downtown in a town known for crime, around the arena is very safe and there are very few (if any) issues down there. The big reason for that is no one lives close to the arena...housing has been pushed back and crime in Saginaw happens where people can get away and hide quickly in rough neighborhoods. There used to be subsidized housing a couple blocks from the arena and those were eliminated years ago and they're now market rate apartments. Downtown is dreadfully missing food/restaurant options but maybe something will pop up before the Cup. There will definitely be a lot of food trucks for the Memorial Cup.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015

Attachments

• cup1.jpg
    cup1.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad