News Article: Memorial Cup in Winnipeg?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Appears to be a longshot but an intersting suggestion none the less. Good idea? Bad idea? How does that mesh with potential NHL playoffs?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/who-should-host-the-historic-100th-memorial-cup/

Winnipeg: The first city other than Toronto to host the Memorial Cup, back in 1922. Winnipeg’s bid would have to come from the province’s only WHL team, the Brandon Wheat Kings. The Wheaties are a premier outfit and if they bid to host in Winnipeg, they’d be getting an MTS Centre with about triple the capacity of their own arena.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Appears to be a longshot but an intersting suggestion none the less. Good idea? Bad idea? How does that mesh with potential NHL playoffs?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/who-should-host-the-historic-100th-memorial-cup/

Winnipeg: The first city other than Toronto to host the Memorial Cup, back in 1922. Winnipeg’s bid would have to come from the province’s only WHL team, the Brandon Wheat Kings. The Wheaties are a premier outfit and if they bid to host in Winnipeg, they’d be getting an MTS Centre with about triple the capacity of their own arena.

The cynic in me says nobody but Toronto area teams should bother applying. I don't foresee scheduling conflicts with Leafs playoff games, which of course are an oxymoron.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I would love to see the Memorial Cup in Winnipeg.

But for the 100th anniversary you just know Toronto will get it.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
A little risky having the host team play its games in a city where it doesn't actually play in.

I know the Wheaties have played the odd game in Winnipeg - how well do they draw in the Peg? It's asking a lot to expect 15,000 Brandon fans to drive 2 hours to Winnipeg (and that's besides the fact that 15,000 is one third the entire population of Brandon).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not sure I would be too impressed if I was a long time Brandon Wheat Kings season ticket holder. Unless the CHL wouldn't hold it there (Brandon) and this was the only option.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Not sure I would be too impressed if I was a long time Brandon Wheat Kings season ticket holder. Unless the CHL wouldn't hold it there (Brandon) and this was the only option.

I agree if Brandon hosts it they should have it in Brandon.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I agree if Brandon hosts it they should have it in Brandon.

Brandon hosted one fairly recently. The whole premise of the article is to celbrate 100 years and make it bigger than usual.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
IMO they should rotate the Memorial Cup between large cities and scrap the host team.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
A little risky having the host team play its games in a city where it doesn't actually play in.

I know the Wheaties have played the odd game in Winnipeg - how well do they draw in the Peg? It's asking a lot to expect 15,000 Brandon fans to drive 2 hours to Winnipeg (and that's besides the fact that 15,000 is one third the entire population of Brandon).

there are quite a few wheat kings fans in winnipeg. even just for the casual NHL fan who doesnt get to see these kids often before they are in the NHL or AHL i think there would be tons of support.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
there are quite a few wheat kings fans in winnipeg. even just for the casual NHL fan who doesnt get to see these kids often before they are in the NHL or AHL i think there would be tons of support.

Sure, just kinda sucks for wheaties fans. They'd be in the tournament but the fans would have a couple hours on the highway to contend with, plus the danger of having Winnipeggers buy up all the tickets, which we totally would.

Bet the Brandon chamber of commerce would hate it, too. A memorial cup or a canada games are the biggest sporting events they could ever reasonably hope to host and even then not likely more than once every 20 years. Local shops, restaurants and hotels would be pretty thrilled with the increased business over the few days.

Maybe if the WHL expanded to Steinbach, Winnipeg would be tagged to host the Memorial Cup. Especially if it were TNSE's team.

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016
Sure, just kinda sucks for wheaties fans. They'd be in the tournament but the fans would have a couple hours on the highway to contend with, plus the danger of having Winnipeggers buy up all the tickets, which we totally would.

Bet the Brandon chamber of commerce would hate it, too. A memorial cup or a canada games are the biggest sporting events they could ever reasonably hope to host and even then not likely more than once every 20 years. Local shops, restaurants and hotels would be pretty thrilled with the increased business over the few days.

Maybe if the WHL expanded to Steinbach, Winnipeg would be tagged to host the Memorial Cup. Especially if it were TNSE's team.

WHAT? Steinbach's getting a WHL team?
:sarcasm::shakehead:sarcasm::shakehead

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
IMO they should rotate the Memorial Cup between large cities and scrap the host team.

Never going to happen. Who wants to watch only 3 teams play.
If you had only 3 teams, it would be 3 round robin games and 1 final game.
Way to short. Right now it's 6 + 2 playoff games and sometimes a tie breaker.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Some have suggested they expand the Memorial Cup to 8 teams and run an NCAA style single elimination tourney.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Some have suggested they expand the Memorial Cup to 8 teams and run an NCAA style single elimination tourney.

I could get behind that. One beef I have with the Memorial Cup is that so few teams make it and then can be out of the tournament in 2 games.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I could get behind that. One beef I have with the Memorial Cup is that so few teams make it and then can be out of the tournament in 2 games.

Well if they go NCAA style they could be out in one game. I kinda like the current format. Maybe extend it to 6 teams. Add a team from the leagues that are not hosting to make it 2 teams per league. Top 4 from the round robin go to semi's.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Well if they go NCAA style they could be out in one game. I kinda like the current format. Maybe extend it to 6 teams. Add a team from the leagues that are not hosting to make it 2 teams per league. Top 4 from the round robin go to semi's.

I guess I didn't put it that way. Yes they would be out in one game but more teams would have the opportunity. The way it is currently on three teams (not counting the host team) qualify and they play an entire playoff series to quality only to be out of it in 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00