Memorial Cup Format Change

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's an interesting idea but you have to have a host team, because you have to have a host city. I have no link to it, but I was reading a story a few years ago that the CHL was studying the format. IIRC they came to the conclusion that there were 2 key factors why they had to continue with the current format:

1. Attendance is heavily linked to the home teams fans. They not only packed the home teams games, but also attended other games, wheras they might not go to any games if their team wasn't in the tourney.

2. Volunteers. Lots and lots of hours of work done by people who aren't being paid. Those people are largely made up of hardcore fans of the hometown team.

Your idea might work but only if the tourney alternated between a few very large cities. In the west that would be Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg (who obviously have no team at all). Personally I would hate the day that cities like Saskatoon, Brandon and Kelowna etc etc couldn't host. The flaws in the current format are less than the flaws in any other proposed format imo.

Fair points.

One flaw I realized with my plan is that it could only really work if the Memorial Cup was as big as the World Juniors, which is clearly is not. Like you said the host team sells a large majority of tickets. A Memorial Cup Final Four in Vancouver featuring Brandon, Sudbury, Victoriaville and Bellville wouldn't be a hot ticket at all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's going to Nanaimo :sarcasm:
Fixed! ;)

Not based on making money which is what it's all about. Not that I'm saying that's right but it's the truth. Vancouver won't be a contender by 2016 but they would generate a ton of money as they did in 07.

You're right that the Giants would gain the most, but I agree that they won't be a contender. Probably a good team that will compete for a playoff spot, but I think Seattle or Kelowna are much better choices. Actually that is a good question, has an American franchise ever had the Memorial Cup? Can't think of any on the top of my head, but Seattle are definitely going to be a beast of a team for the next two year-ish.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm just sick of it going to teams that aren't even contenders. Like when Saskatoon got it. I just think a team in the league should just host it. The team that makes the final in the respective league, and that is that! Thats why I said Brandon. They'll be at the Memorial Cup by then. Would say Calgary but the Flames need the Sattledome more than the Hitmen.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm just sick of it going to teams that aren't even contenders. Like when Saskatoon got it. I just think a team in the league should just host it. The team that makes the final in the respective league, and that is that! Thats why I said Brandon. They'll be at the Memorial Cup by then. Would say Calgary but the Flames need the Sattledome more than the Hitmen.

The trouble is, it takes time to plan an event of this size.

here is my thought that I posted in another thread

1) The Memorial Cup format would be as follows: The three league champs get in PLUS the winner from the previous year which would be the host team. Hosts teams do not necessarily need to use their home arena and they would have until November 30th to submit their plan. If they don't feel they can successfully host then the right goes to the team that loses in the final. So all participating teams in the previous years cup would be wise to prepare their plans... YES this means it does not move around from league to league every year and it puts the onus on teams to be successful. In order for the Host team to PLAY in the Memorial Cup they must at least get to their respective conference finals.. so if you miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first two rounds .. yer out! At which point the loser of the league final gets in. Ticket packages do not go on sale for anyone until the Conference finalists have been decided. Again teams would be wise to have the correct infrastructure in place to deal with the ticket demand once the Conference Finals start

2) I would remove the financial guarantee Junior Clubs are expected to make.. but this format would return the memorial Cup to the grass roots of hockey.. thereby making it even MORE popular and growing the game

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Fixed! ;)

You're right that the Giants would gain the most, but I agree that they won't be a contender. Probably a good team that will compete for a playoff spot, but I think Seattle or Kelowna are much better choices. Actually that is a good question, has an American franchise ever had the Memorial Cup? Can't think of any on the top of my head, but Seattle are definitely going to be a beast of a team for the next two year-ish.

No OHL or QMJHL US-based team has hosted the Memorial Cup. Portland has hosted it twice (83, 86) and Spokane (98) and Seattle (92) have hosted it once.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't mind a host that's competitive. The last time they hosted, you'd be hard pressed to find people who thought they didn't deserve to be there, Tigers and Silvertips fans aside. Making the playoffs this past season was a good start, but I can't see them going from a 4-0 sweep to being at least a WHL Finalist in two years. They will not be competitive enough in 2016 to warrant hosting it.

Hordichuk_24

I don't disagree but it isn't an exact science. As good as Brandon should be it isn't a given they will be league champions or even in the league final come 2016.

I'm not convinced any of the teams putting in bids (Vancouver, Victoria and Red Deer) will be legit contenders in that short span of time. But that certainly isn't going to stop teams from trying.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The exact science they'll use is the ratio of money generated to goal differential. "Which team can make the most money without getting blown out the worst?"

Though who am I kidding? If Vancouver goes in a pulls off an Ottawa or Shawinnigan, it's not like I won't be celebrating.

Hordichuk_24

The exact science they'll use is the ratio of money generated to goal differential. "Which team can make the most money without getting blown out the worst?"

Exactly. It isn't technically right but money heavily influences everything. The Memorial Cup is no different. Vancouver would generate a lot more money than Red Deer or Victoria (or essentially most WHL franchises). Do they deserve to host another Memorial Cup so soon? Probably not. Then again it isn't unheard of (London is a perfect example). If some of their youngsters pan out (specifically Benson) they would have that marketable star player but there are so many holes on the team they would need some luck and to make a few excellent trades to be in a position to legitimately compete by then, IMO.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
It would be nice to see some smaller markets get to host the event.

Those days are long gone, and won't return until the CHL realizes that they've priced themselves out of the junior hockey market, and they have to beg a team to submit a bid to host.

The biggest issue is that the Memorial Cup takes a long time to organize, and requires a ton of local volunteers to make it run successfully. In 1990, the tournament was nowhere near the event it is today, so a change in venue could be done then. It would be much more difficult to recruit volunteers and co-ordinate everything that needs to be handled in a matter of weeks.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thought I would bring this back because it's likely something we'll all be griping about this year if Quebec goes out early, plus with TSN showing all the NCAA Hockey Tournament games, the comparison is likely going to be made as well.

Best new-format suggestion I've seen came from Ken Campbell last year. The tournament still rotates through the leagues as it does now, but there's no host team, just a host city. The 4th team is the runner-up of the host league. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/london-debacle-proof-chl-must-change-memorial-cup-format/

It's by no means perfect, but at least the 4th team would be far more competitive.

There was also talk last year of Sportsnet and the CHL changing the format. What that could be isn't known, but it's in the works apparently. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...evitalize--memorial-cup-format-152639922.html The problem with a hypothetical 16-team tournament would be that it makes the league championships worthless.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Thought I would bring this back because it's likely something we'll all be griping about this year if Quebec goes out early, plus with TSN showing all the NCAA Hockey Tournament games, the comparison is likely going to be made as well.

Best new-format suggestion I've seen came from Ken Campbell last year. The tournament still rotates through the leagues as it does now, but there's no host team, just a host city. The 4th team is the runner-up of the host league. http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/london-debacle-proof-chl-must-change-memorial-cup-format/

It's by no means perfect, but at least the 4th team would be far more competitive.

There was also talk last year of Sportsnet and the CHL changing the format. What that could be isn't known, but it's in the works apparently. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...evitalize--memorial-cup-format-152639922.html The problem with a hypothetical 16-team tournament would be that it makes the league championships worthless.

The only change I would make is the 4th teams is the 4th best team in the country.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I dont think it is broken the way it is.

If you did this next year in Red Deer and the teams in it were say Brandon, Regina, Erie and St Johns, I don't think it would draw well.

I remember it in Brandon. The city was all about the Wheat Kings that week, even the people that didn't really give a **** about them normally. Brandon was a competitive team that lost in round 3 to the champion Hitmen. If you had that in Brandon without the Wheat Kings? I imagine attendance would be above 4K, but not sold out.

I really don't think there have been any "bad" teams for a loooong time. London was ranked 4th in the west last year, but still had over 100 points. The Blades had a bit of a rough season, but still finished 2nd in the East (but choked in the 2nd round). Shawinigan finished #2 in the Q (lost round 2), but won the Memorial Cup. Mississauga finished 1st and lost in 7 in the finals. Brandon made it to round 3 and lost in the Mem cup final.

There really hasn't been an "embarrassing" host team in recent years. Leave it how it is IMO. Its as good as it can get.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If they keep the host city format ok then increase the teams to 6 that way if there is a weak host there won't be a major issue.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Ive heard some arguments for shortening it immensely.

Host it in major cities, NHL rinks, only 3 games.

Single elimination semi-finals on Friday and a Final on Sunday.

league champions plus a team selected by a board.

Not sure if I like it, but it looks like there are changes on the horizon.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Ive heard some arguments for shortening it immensely.

Host it in major cities, NHL rinks, only 3 games.

Single elimination semi-finals on Friday and a Final on Sunday.

league champions plus a team selected by a board.

Not sure if I like it, but it looks like there are changes on the horizon.

Who are you hearing this from?

It doesn't make sense to me. It's the CHL, it should be in a CHL city in a CHL barn. Not in Toronto or some city that doesn't care about junior hockey.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Who are you hearing this from?

It doesn't make sense to me. It's the CHL, it should be in a CHL city in a CHL barn. Not in Toronto or some city that doesn't care about junior hockey.

In a recent interview Branch mentioned how they are seriously considering changing up the format.

With that said, I didn't mean to suggest that the format I suggest is what it will be changing to, just something I heard in a radio interview, don't efven remember who mentioned that format.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
In a recent interview Branch mentioned how they are seriously considering changing up the format.

With that said, I didn't mean to suggest that the format I suggest is what it will be changing to, just something I heard in a radio interview, don't efven remember who mentioned that format.

Ah alright.

The only thing I have really thought up if you want to make the host better, is that you make the entire CHL the same amount of games (72 or 68) and have a league wide standings. At the end of the season, the top ranked CHL team is picked to host the tournament. So this year Oshawa would host it, and if they win the OHL, then the runner up makes it.

4 teams, host is in for sure, but it guarantees that the host is very strong. Only downside is that they wouldn't have a year to prepare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad