Memorial Cup 2021

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The one thing that Erie would have to dramatically improve if they wish to seriously be considered as a Memorial Cup Host would be the quality of their telecasts. Currently, their efforts are amateurish and not at all professional. The timing of their cut-away segments frequently overlaps the on-ice play, and there is no sensible commentary provided during the between period intermissions.

It’s not relevant for the bid

Also, Erie doesn’t care about it one bit. Fans in Erie either go to the game or don’t go. Nobody in the city is buying that game to watch from home. They simply aren’t wasting resources on that aspect of their team when there is no demand in the Erie area for it. It is minimal and a cheap product because they are required by the league to provide something for the livestream.. so erie provides what they do

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
After visiting Sudbury with the kids last weekend I’d also LOVE to see a trampoline park as well as a lazar tag arena as well, they were crazy fun even for oldies like me as well as the under/over 10 crowd! How about putting that in either the old Sears or Walmart????

In all honesty I'd love to see the station mall close down and move on top of the hill. That is the most prime piece of real estate in the Sault and it's used by a shopping mall with no windows to see the water front. It may be good for for the economy for shopping and jobs, but moving that to Great Northern on Hwy 17 would be the best situation . Get the traffic from the highway and leave the waterfront for tourists who want to enjoy the water front and city. Never should a shopping mall have been allowed to be built there...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oshawa, Barrie, Ottawa should all be pretty good in 2021 and all have a lot of draft picks to make themselves better

Oshawa would truly have to be all-in to look like a worthy 2021 memorial cup host team by the time bids are made next spring. The Gens currently have two 2001 born players; Brewer and a forward with 2 career points.

Reactions: ottersguy

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
In all honesty I'd love to see the station mall close down and move on top of the hill. That is the most prime piece of real estate in the Sault and it's used by a shopping mall with no windows to see the water front. It may be good for for the economy for shopping and jobs, but moving that to Great Northern on Hwy 17 would be the best situation . Get the traffic from the highway and leave the waterfront for tourists who want to enjoy the water front and city. Never should a shopping mall have been allowed to be built there...

If i could have "liked" your post a million times Saska i would have. LOL :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Sorry to hijack this topic and this is the last post about it...honestly why can't they close off a couple of blocks on Queen St. and build or fix the buildings there, cover it over and make it a walking mall like Old Town in Las Vegas. They're ALWAYS talking about fixing up the downtown but it needs NEW ideas!!! And turning that crappy mall into a park afterwards would be a start in the right direction!!

Reactions: saska sault

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oshawa would truly have to be all-in to look like a worthy 2021 memorial cup host team by the time bids are made next spring. The Gens currently have two 2001 born players; Brewer and a forward with 2 career points.

If you're a Mem Cup host and don't go "all-in" you have no idea how to run your franchise....

The Gens currently have a ton of draft picks (and none of them are in next years draft, so they'd still have them all in the Mem Cup year, by design) and had a very good 2002 and 2003 born draft. And if the rumours of Tomasino to the Gens are true, there is your 2001 born stud right there

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you're a Mem Cup host and don't go "all-in" you have no idea how to run your franchise....

The Gens currently have a ton of draft picks (and none of them are in next years draft, so they'd still have them all in the Mem Cup year, by design) and had a very good 2002 and 2003 born draft. And if the rumours of Tomasino to the Gens are true, there is your 2001 born stud right there

Stated all-in by the time cup bids are made.
The Gens must show they are worthy before being awarded the memorial cup about a year in advance of the tournament. As of right now, there are two players that will be in their age 19 season.
The Gens will burn through those ‘ton of picks’ fast. Tomasino alone will take up something like 2003-1st, 3-2nds. 2-3rds.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Gens will burn through those ‘ton of picks’ fast. Tomasino alone will take up something like 2003-1st, 3-2nds. 2-3rds.

Not necessarily. If Tomasino is slated to go to the Gens to complete a two-way type trade (if that's what it was), then the price might not be that high.

To complete the Jeremy Bracco trade, Logan Stanley went to Kitchener for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 15th. That's awfully cheap when you consider the calibre of player Stanley was.

Veteran stud D. First round NHL pick. Big part of a Memorial Cup winner.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not necessarily. If Tomasino is slated to go to the Gens to complete a two-way type trade (if that's what it was), then the price might not be that high.

To complete the Jeremy Bracco trade, Logan Stanley went to Kitchener for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and a 15th. That's awfully cheap when you consider the calibre of player Stanley was.

Veteran stud D. First round NHL pick. Big part of a Memorial Cup winner.

And about a half dozen pages on the Kitchener thread were dedicated to the suspiciously low return for Bracco, right?
That is not the case here. Moore plus 3(2nds & 3rds) was full value for Studnicka & Brassard in what was considered a buyers market. Tomasino will probably be more sought after than any of the mentioned players. I have very little doubt Niagara gets good value in return.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Kingston won't be in consideration just simply cause of the location it's too far east and too out of the way to host, they may have a prime location and the arena size but I can't see Kinston being on the OHL's top 5 list of choices of host cities.
Do you know where kingston is located?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Do you know where kingston is located?

As an OHL fan I've been to Kingston multiple times over the past 19 years. It has nothing to do with the city of Kingston, more the Frontenacs have had hit and miss success over the past number of seasons in the Eastern conference. The location is feasible but I just can't see the OHL holding the CHL's largest tournament.

If you've followed the OHL at any point in time beyond the standings or local media in the OHL. The Frontenacs have had great players and a great building don't get me wrong but history has proven time and again that the Western Conference has had the vast majority of success over the past decade. Even last years playoffs proved that as the Ottawa 67's had the better all round team and we all saw what Guelph did in a 7 game series final.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As an OHL fan I've been to Kingston multiple times over the past 19 years. It has nothing to do with the city of Kingston, more the Frontenacs have had hit and miss success over the past number of seasons in the Eastern conference. The location is feasible but I just can't see the OHL holding the CHL's largest tournament.

If you've followed the OHL at any point in time beyond the standings or local media in the OHL. The Frontenacs have had great players and a great building don't get me wrong but history has proven time and again that the Western Conference has had the vast majority of success over the past decade. Even last years playoffs proved that as the Ottawa 67's had the better all round team and we all saw what Guelph did in a 7 game series final.

Although you are generally correct in your assessment of the Western Conference, don’t judge the strength of the entire conference based on the team that wins the league. SSM was a far superior team to Hamilton but Hamilton won the Final. That doesn’t mean the East was a stronger conference. It only means Hamilton beat SSM.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I like to think my opinion means something but I know it really doesn’t. That doesn’t mean I won’t give it!

I think Oshawa is the team in the drivers seat. I am confident Tomasino ends up in Oshawa. HE will be the lead piece for that team’s chances at the Cup. They will have a very strong 18 year old group for that season. I fully expect them to make a few more seller type moves that push their ages forward again similar to what they did last season.

If Ottawa does want the Hosting duties, they have a hell of a lot of work to do. Their Private boxes are not open. They were condemned as a hazard. I believe it would take over $1mil to repair them. Without those boxes, I think it would be tough to really seriously consider Ottawa unless there were no other serious bidders. They could potentially ice the right team, that is for sure. They have the assets but they’d have to make some sacrifices this year by selling off the likes of Hoelscher and Bahl and would need reasonable certainty Rossi would be there for his 19 year old season.

I don’t see Kingston. I don’t feel their ownership is strong enough to put a bid together that would be a serious financial commitment in the same way Oshawa will.

Depending on competitive cycle, London and Kitchener are always viable.

My $$$ would be on Oshawa. They have a solid rink, good fan support, viable city structure for off ice events and accommodations. They have easy access to long haul transportation. I believe they are set up nicely (with still some work to do) to configure a roster that would be competitive. Their last hosting duties were in 1987 so it’s been a while. I believe they were also close the last time. They should be considered the front runners.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
None of the East teams seem like slam dunk bids to me.

I'd have Oshawa at the top of the list with some lingering concerns about their playoff attendance this year hopefully? offset by their proximity to the GTA - though banking on fans from Toronto showing interest in junior hockey is perilous. Also it's not at the top of the list in terms of hospitality services but it's readily accessible by public transit to almost anywhere in southern Ontario

The location as a concern for Kingston is completely laughable. As many have mentioned, it's halfway between Toronto and Montreal. As a result it has countless facilities for hosting as a number of large companies hold their annual meetings there as a result of its incredible location. In terms of hospitality facilities it is far far ahead of Oshawa in fact. The arena would obviously work too. The organizational stability isn't there at all though IMO and from that standpoint I don't think anyone would truly argue they deserve a memorial cup over Oshawa.

Ottawa has the size advantage but facility wise, they fall behind the two newer arenas.

I'd put Oshawa as a pretty strong favourite at this point (and yes, they could trade their way into being a contended that year) but lots can change.

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'd expect Ottawa to propose the Canadian Tire Center as the rink that would do the hosting.

Especially if their own building has that many issues.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd expect Ottawa to propose the Canadian Tire Center as the rink that would do the hosting.

Especially if their own building has that many issues.

I don't think it is viable. They have tried really hard to regain a foothold in that arena after moving for two years to CTC because of construction at Lansdowne. If they do make a bid for the Memorial Cup, it would be more of a marketing play to continue to regain fans lost. Moving it to CTC may give them a one time opportunity to gain financial clout but it would actually be a negative on the long term marketing side.

Personally, I can't see Ottawa putting together a serious bid.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Kitchener?

Pretty good location, have been from what I understand a solid host for the OHL Gold Cup for however many years. Good arena size.

On the hockey side, they have a pretty good core of guys that could be around in 2020-21 in Reid Valade, Donovan Sebrango, Isaac Langdon, Francesco Pinelli, Mike Vukojevic, possibly Roman Schmidt & a good group of depth guys like Ryan Stepien, Mike Petizian & Justin MacPherson. also a lot of top guys that they could move this year to build the draft pick cupboard up

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kitchener?

Pretty good location, have been from what I understand a solid host for the OHL Gold Cup for however many years. Good arena size.

On the hockey side, they have a pretty good core of guys that could be around in 2020-21 in Reid Valade, Donovan Sebrango, Isaac Langdon, Francesco Pinelli, Mike Vukojevic, possibly Roman Schmidt & a good group of depth guys like Ryan Stepien, Mike Petizian & Justin MacPherson. also a lot of top guys that they could move this year to build the draft pick cupboard up

All very good points. But the last time the thing was up for bid (the 100th?), the Rangers said "thanks but no thanks" when Branch encouraged them to put in a bid.

If I remember correctly, Steve B said at the time that it didn't jive with where the Rangers were with the development of the on ice product or where their on ice roster was via contending or something like that.

But I remember a lot of the fanbase didn't think we should be hosting so soon after 2008. That may have played into the decision not to bid as well. There was negativity towards London hosting twice in 9 years and towards the financial commitment involved as well.

And 2021 is still pretty soon in my opinion.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough to hold that against that fan base.

If anything, the city could use some good news. Being awarded the Memorial Cup hosting duties could be a feel good story during a tough time.

Exactly, a week long tournament wouldn't likely feel too many effects I would think.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
The Memorial Cup hosting announcement for 2021 will be down to a few cities in a perfect Junior Hockey world it should alternate between the conferences, however as we all know that there really is only a few cities that will be considered.

London
Ottawa
Oshawa - if they have the team
Soo
Windsor- if they get ownership sorted out
Hamilton- if they have the team

However it would be amazing to see Owen Sound host unfortunately the Bayhsore doesn't have the capacity that could host the tournament, typically the tournament arenas who host usually hold around 5,000+ capacity.

Wait a second, I get why there is questions about Hamilton and Windsor, but why Oshawa? I didn't hear anything about them possibly packing up.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Nonsense.

Too far east? Then how does Ottawa get consideration?

I would think because they are our capital, have a much larger population and are able to draw from Quebec fairly easily and have an international airport. Now that said, I don't how these all don't also apply to Kingston, save that they don't have an overly large population, but are able to draw from Ottawa.

I really don't think the Soo is in consideration because of location and arena size. Sportsnet fights them every time a Grand Slam curling event comes, but they get huge fan support. The Hounds have the most wins in the league by a big margin over the past several years, but get no televised games.

The team will be good and the arena will sell out, but the sponsors will never go for it in my opinion.

Nail on the head on this one. Location I see being a huge problem, not only because they have the hardest time with away attendance in the OHL (due to the 8+ hour drive to get there) but also because of flight paths. I don't think there's a way to fly into the Soo without connecting at Toronto as far as I know. Still, stranger things have happened.

I do think Hamilton is a shoe in if we could get a new arena or reno Copps, given it's the 3rd easiest arena to get to in the OHL in terms of total driving distance, has a big population that the league would love to sell CHL hockey too, is an hour drive from Pearson and has an Airport that serves Halifax, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Abbottsford. That said though, if that is in the cards, it won't be in time for 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helvigster

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa is, hands down, the best location for the Memorial Cup.

1> Local international airport with a 20 minute commute to downtown during non-peak traffic times
2> Arena is less than a $10 UBER ride from nearly 10,000 hotel rooms
3> At capacity, the arena seats over 8000
4> Once at Lansdowne Park, you don’t need to leave. It is an entertainment community with at least 8 restaurants and LCBO, Whole Foods, VIP Cinemas, GoodLife Fitness and other retail outlets all located on the grounds of Lansdowne Park.
5> The Aberdeen Pavilion is on site and is situated 100 feet from one of the arena entrances. IT has the capacity to hold loads of activities as well as music stage for concerts etc. They held al the fan fest activities in there for the 1999 Memorial Cup.

There is no other location better than Ottawa.

BUT, it isn’t just about location. The League also wants to tell a story. It wants to celebrate the accomplishments of various teams. Celebrate anniversaries etc. Sure, it is about $$$. I needs to be. It is how the league can generate coin to lessen the hardship of covering league expenses.

It has been over 20 years for Ottawa. If they can repair their private boxes or at least come up with an alternate solution, and they want o host, they have the resources and assets to push forward to meet every single criteria required in spades.

I still like Oshawa for the next one though. I think it is their time and they deserve it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad