Memorial Cup 2021

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I hope Windsor doesn't even have a thought about it.
Dont need it.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I hope Windsor doesn't even have a thought about it.
Dont need it.
Would be a waste..
I can’t see a way in which they give it to the same location in back to back years of the OHL hosting. If other teams bid, no way Windsor would win

I would like Erie to do it because they would be a terrific host imo. But the OHL isn’t serious about an American team hosting and thus Erie is not going to be serious about wasting their time on a bid

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Would be a waste..
I can’t see a way in which they give it to the same location in back to back years of the OHL hosting. If other teams bid, no way Windsor would win

I would like Erie to do it because they would be a terrific host imo. But the OHL isn’t serious about an American team hosting and thus Erie is not going to be serious about wasting their time on a bid

The one thing that Erie would have to dramatically improve if they wish to seriously be considered as a Memorial Cup Host would be the quality of their telecasts. Currently, their efforts are amateurish and not at all professional. The timing of their cut-away segments frequently overlaps the on-ice play, and there is no sensible commentary provided during the between period intermissions.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Would be a waste..

Ageeed.
No money should be wasted bidding for a few cups

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'd love to see the Memorial Cup back in the Soo. The quality of the team and the fan support can't be beaten in this league, but the arena size will always be the biggest roadblock. It will be the same 4 or 5 teams that get the cup over and over again until something changes.

Reactions: OSA

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'd love to see the Memorial Cup back in the Soo. The quality of the team and the fan support can't be beaten in this league, but the arena size will always be the biggest roadblock. It will be the same 4 or 5 teams that get the cup over and over again until something changes.

Let's hope something does change. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who hosted in this century shouldn't be in the running. Spread it around.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Id love to c nobody bid from the ohl.
And than c Branch n company squirm to try to get some team to do the league a "favor" n bid so no embarrassment is shown.

Reactions: ottersguy

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Well, it's not coming to Hamilton, barring a legislative miracle, and it's not likely coming to London or Windsor. Owen Sound and North Bay I would think are out as well.

I would guess Oshawa would be the front runner here, followed by Ottawa.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well, it's not coming to Hamilton, barring a legislative miracle, and it's not likely coming to London or Windsor. Owen Sound and North Bay I would think are out as well.

I would guess Oshawa would be the front runner here, followed by Ottawa.

The Memorial Cup hosting announcement for 2021 will be down to a few cities in a perfect Junior Hockey world it should alternate between the conferences, however as we all know that there really is only a few cities that will be considered.

London
Ottawa
Oshawa - if they have the team
Soo
Windsor- if they get ownership sorted out
Hamilton- if they have the team

However it would be amazing to see Owen Sound host unfortunately the Bayhsore doesn't have the capacity that could host the tournament, typically the tournament arenas who host usually hold around 5,000+ capacity.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Memorial Cup hosting announcement for 2021 will be down to a few cities in a perfect Junior Hockey world it should alternate between the conferences, however as we all know that there really is only a few cities that will be considered.

London
Ottawa
Soo

However it would be amazing to see Owen Sound host unfortunately the Bayhsore doesn't have the capacity that could host the tournament, typically the tournament arenas who host usually hold around 5,000+ capacity.

I dont see windsor or London bidding.
I hope Windsor doesnt make it s thought to bid. Would be a huge mistake.
Better things to do

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

London
Ottawa
Soo

I really don't think the Soo is in consideration because of location and arena size. Sportsnet fights them every time a Grand Slam curling event comes, but they get huge fan support. The Hounds have the most wins in the league by a big margin over the past several years, but get no televised games.

The team will be good and the arena will sell out, but the sponsors will never go for it in my opinion.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Kingston could be a suitable site.

Kingston won't be in consideration just simply cause of the location it's too far east and too out of the way to host, they may have a prime location and the arena size but I can't see Kinston being on the OHL's top 5 list of choices of host cities.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Kingston won't be in consideration just simply cause of the location it's too far east and too out of the way to host, they may have a prime location and the arena size but I can't see Kinston being on the OHL's top 5 list of choices of host cities.

Too out of the way from what?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The Soo should put in a bid, get city council on board to finish some of the suites that were never completed to up the capacity a bit. Stick general seating in those empty spots, we are good for corporate suites. The ownership, management and players should be just as good as anyone in the league if the last 7-8 years are any indicator the Sault is in the elite of the CHL organizations in terms of talent at all levels of an organization.

Time for the CHL to start rewarding the smaller markets and franchises for competing and not putting a sub par product on the ice.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

You're not really making sense here. Too far out of the way from what exactly? The most recent OHL host was Windsor, are they somehow "in the way" but not Kingston?

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

If being located along the 401 between Toronto and Montreal is considered out of the way then Oshawa's bid might be at risk.

At this point it's going to be between Oshawa and Ottawa for 2021. Personally I'd like to see the Soo or Barrie considered for the Memorial Cup. Both teams have been competitive over the years and have decent facilities.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Nonsense.

Too far east? Then how does Ottawa get consideration?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If being located along the 401 between Toronto and Montreal is considered out of the way then Oshawa's bid might be at risk.

At this point it's going to be between Oshawa and Ottawa for 2021. Personally I'd like to see the Soo or Barrie considered for the Memorial Cup. Both teams have been competitive over the years and have decent facilities.

Oshawa, Barrie, Ottawa should all be pretty good in 2021 and all have a lot of draft picks to make themselves better

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
The one thing that Erie would have to dramatically improve if they wish to seriously be considered as a Memorial Cup Host would be the quality of their telecasts. Currently, their efforts are amateurish and not at all professional. The timing of their cut-away segments frequently overlaps the on-ice play, and there is no sensible commentary provided during the between period intermissions.

Sportsnet would be doing all the games so the quality of the webcasts the team provides wouldn't be relevant.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
The Soo should put in a bid, get city council on board to finish some of the suites that were never completed to up the capacity a bit. Stick general seating in those empty spots, we are good for corporate suites. The ownership, management and players should be just as good as anyone in the league if the last 7-8 years are any indicator the Sault is in the elite of the CHL organizations in terms of talent at all levels of an organization.

Time for the CHL to start rewarding the smaller markets and franchises for competing and not putting a sub par product on the ice.

I’d like to see the city get a quote to put 500 or 600 club seats over the Bruce St side of the building in a 2nd level with suites over top of those and a full restaurant over the Bay St end with a family section so kids can go to the games for $2-$5!!! More kids more noise and atmosphere. I know I’m more likely to win the Lotto Max!!! Lol

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I’d like to see the city get a quote to put 500 or 600 club seats over the Bruce St side of the building in a 2nd level with suites over top of those and a full restaurant over the Bay St end with a family section so kids can go to the games for $2-$5!!! More kids more noise and atmosphere. I know I’m more likely to win the Lotto Max!!! Lol

It would be a great idea. Open up the main concourse because that gets pretty packed and turns into a bottle neck in certain areas... Add some more club and general seating and a restaurant would be a year round income producer for the city or whoever runs it. The Sault seems to really be trying to invest and put some new life into downtown... Add a memorial cup bid and some additions to the GFL arena and the city would really be heading in the right direction.

Reactions: count35

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
It would be a great idea. Open up the main concourse because that gets pretty packed and turns into a bottle neck in certain areas... Add some more club and general seating and a restaurant would be a year round income producer for the city or whoever runs it. The Sault seems to really be trying to invest and put some new life into downtown... Add a memorial cup bid and some additions to the GFL arena and the city would really be heading in the right direction.

After visiting Sudbury with the kids last weekend I’d also LOVE to see a trampoline park as well as a lazar tag arena as well, they were crazy fun even for oldies like me as well as the under/over 10 crowd! How about putting that in either the old Sears or Walmart????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad